Senn HD595
Dec 16, 2008 at 6:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

michaelcooper5

New Head-Fier
Attempting to become a newbie audiophile. I spend hours at my computer listening to music, gaming, and working .. Want a great sound system and just purchased the Auzen x-fi prelude 7.1 soundcard. Now im working on the next part of the equation. I like the Sennheiser 595 and have read good reviews. Question is, do I need a headphone amp? Which headphone amp would you suggest? My budget is around $300US. What about a DAC, is this something I will have to purchase as well. My computer rig I just built was extremely expensive and now I have realized that the audio part of the equation is even worse lol ... Thank you in advance for your time and help with this issue.

Other Questions!
What about the Beyer DT770s?
I have a large head and I need to put that into the equation ..
What about the M^3 amp, would this be a good choice? I can either buy one or build it, how difficult is the project?

Again, thanks so much

Dec 16, 2008 at 7:01 PM Post #2 of 17
The 595 would be great for your needs. A DAC and amp are always preferred, but the 595s sound at least passable even out of an ipod so your soundcard should have no issues. I would keep the extra $100 and worry about an amp when you hear the little voice in the corner of your brain telling you that your life would be better with better phones and an amp.

Dec 16, 2008 at 7:11 PM Post #3 of 17
FWIR HD595's are great entry level phones and are probably my next purchase. If you absolutely must have an amp, consider looking into building a Millet Starving Student. The parts vary in price, but it can be built for about $50 to $70 and doesn't look too difficult (I say look, because I haven't started mine yet. damn finals).

Dec 16, 2008 at 7:17 PM Post #4 of 17
Will anyone in the area around the senn595s be able to hear the music? I need the office area to be somewhat quiet even when im listening to music. Also what is your opinion of the audiotechnica a700 closed?

Dec 16, 2008 at 7:36 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by michaelcooper5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will anyone in the area around the senn595s be able to hear the music?

Yes. They leak sound like crazy.

Dec 16, 2008 at 7:47 PM Post #7 of 17
Welcome.

If you have made up your mind on the HD595 and found a good price, congrats. You will not feel buyers remorse. This is a great all-rounder can as im sure you have heard from many others. I bought mine and have been loving it more and more everyday!

Question is, do I need a headphone amp?
No not at all, this is a very low-impedence (50 ohm) can and can easily be driven, however one may help. I purchased a Little Dot Micro + for starters and for some reason I find that the bass is less or has weakened. Maybe the amp is making it tighter, but its something I don't like too much. My laptop and Sony NWZ 728B drive them very well. This does not mean my amp is collecting dust. I use it everytime when it is connected to my 360 so that I can control the sound. This is a very neutral amp (not a bad thing) and it sure brings out the vocals in songs and widens the soundstage.

Which headphone amp would you suggest?
What will you be using it for? Do you want it to be portable? Perhaps a a PA2V2 if you want to start small. From the tons of reviews I've read, the Headroom Microamp apparently is a great match up for the 595. Its said to sonically increase every part of the experience in a good way.

What about a DAC, is this something I will have to purchase as well
No, not really. The sound card you have should be adequate enough for the job (has an internal DAC of its own) . Buying a stand-alone DAC can be expensive especially if you want to buy an amp as well. With the sound card you have compared to a ~$300DAC I personally doubt you will notice that big of a difference.

All the best and I hope you enjoy your HD595s if you do get them!

Dec 16, 2008 at 8:06 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Will anyone in the area around the senn595s be able to hear the music? I need the office area to be somewhat quiet even when im listening to music. Also what is your opinion of the audiotechnica a700 closed?

Since this is an open design phone, others around you will definitely hear your music. I myself am considering closed phones to compliment my HD595, and so far the top 3 that seem to always stand out are:
Denon D2000
Beyer DT150
Beyer DT770 /80

Right now I am currently leaning onto either the DT150 or the D2000. The DT150 is a very underrated fullsized headphone that not too many people own. Practically every review I have read about them are positive. The only downside would be the older design (circa 1970) and its portability. Otherwise these are great sound phones comparable to the HD6xx series, but closed. They offer a nice sound stage and that kicking bass that most open cans miss out on. If you are looking for isolation to your music, I strongly suggest you look into the aforementioned three.

Dec 16, 2008 at 10:13 PM Post #9 of 17
Can i just say WOW .. I cant believe the knowledge base in the Head-Fi community .. It is so appreciated that i can get such quality information as quickly.. So, yes I will purchase my cans in the next week. Addressing the aforementioned questions, I am using my cans for music (alt, old school rock, jazz, classical .. very diverse) .. I also play some internet games and use my voip for calls .. Best case scenario, I would like to have a great setup that I can use while traveling but from what I am reading that will prob require two different headsets and amps .. Im open for any suggestion .. I love tech stuff but I have zero knowledge on how to build an amp .. Would i consider it, absolutely!, but i have already spent a TON on my computer (over 4k) so im kinda limited at the moment ... I'm just fascinated by the stuff I am reading . I am open to either building or buying a used amp ..
*note, I have a large head so I guess this should be noted

Dec 24, 2008 at 3:59 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

What about a DAC, is this something I will have to purchase as well.

I suggested 595 to my brother. He only had this integrated realtek or smthing. And till yesterday (when i brought my portable DAC/Amp to visit his 595) i felt guilty for suggesting bad phones.
You will purchase DAC and an amp. I can feel it .. somehow.. in the future... YES ! It happens in January!

Dec 24, 2008 at 5:57 PM Post #14 of 17
I have a pair of hd595s running off my x-fi music (unmodded >.<) unamped and i love them. There not terrible from my ipod either. However they do leak sound a lot.

Just wanted to post cause im also interested in a pair of closed cans to compliment my 595s as well as use for drumming. Been looking at the same 3 mentioned here
Denon D2000
Beyer DT150
Beyer DT770 /80

Dec 24, 2008 at 6:24 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by SavageThrash /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just wanted to post cause im also interested in a pair of closed cans to compliment my 595s as well as use for drumming. Been looking at the same 3 mentioned here
Denon D2000
Beyer DT150
Beyer DT770 /80

You probably would get more/better input if you start your own thread. What amp will you be using? What is your budget for headphones or headphones + amp? You also may want to consider the ATH-M50.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back