Senn HD595 Impressions
Oct 21, 2006 at 3:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

zyxwvutsr

100+ Head-Fier
I'm quite impressed with these headphones. Initially, I was interested in the HD595 because people on the forums here have been drawing similarities between the HD595 and the ATH-A900. I have the A500, and I was looking for an upgrade with a similar sound signature, so the HD595 seemed like a good choice. Plus, they are cheaper than the A900's.

Note: I made these impressions using the following chain of devices - laptop>Little Dot Micro+>ATh-A500 / 70ohm adapter+HD595.

When I first tried them, they were totally different from what I expected. The "openness" of the HD595s was what struck me first ... duh. It's just that I wasn't expecting the difference between open and closed to be so noticeable.

Some more specific comparisons:
The bass on the HD595 is tight and comparitively impactful but lacking in quantity compared to A500. Bass on both phones extend pretty low. A500's bass is more weighty, but it still has some impact.

When it comes to lower mids, HD595 wins hands down. On the HD595, detail in this range is much more apparent.

With regards to upper mids, I finally realize why some people claim that the vocals on the A5/7/900 sound nasally. However, the degree of nasality is slight at most. In this range, the A500s seem to have a bit more detail, especially with the vocals. However, this quality adds a bit of graininess to the vocals. Vocals on the HD595 are comparitively smooth, but not as smooth as the vocals on an AKG K240M, which out of all the headphones I have heard, is the king of vocals (especially female vocals).

The highs on the A500 really shine/sparkle. It's full of energy and detail. If not for the sibilance, I would absolutely love it. The HD595s, on the other hand, sound slightly muffled, but on the plus side, I detect almost no sibilance.

Both phones have good sound-staging. The A500s, however, seem to lack depth. I have no problem discerning the direction a certain sound is coming from, but I have a hard time trying to figure out which sound/instrument is closer to me. In fact, everything sounds as if they were right in front of me.

The HD595s are more tonally accurate. I was listening to some piano music and I found that the A500s add a sort of slight electronic quality to a grand piano (especially on the lower notes).

The above impressions were actually made when I first got the HD595s (about two weeks ago).

Lately, I've got a chance to evaluate the HD595's without the 70 ohm adapter and what I've got to say regarding this is probably inline with what everybody else has been saying.

The adapter noticeably tones down the treble and upper mids. The vocals are pushed back and become somewhat muted. Bass improves in terms of quantity and impact. Without the adapter, the highs do remind me of the A500 (without the sibilance though).

Overall, I'd give the HD595s a thumbs-up. However, I'm not completely satisfied with it. I wish that there was some way to merge the HD595s with and without the adapter in such a way that I would not have to sacrifice the upper end for better bass.

On another note, any suggestions on how to grant my wish? Perhaps a better amp? Or should I just look somewhere else in the headphones department?

Oct 21, 2006 at 3:48 AM Post #2 of 13
In my experience with the HD595 is that they require significant burn in for the bass to really kick and also for the midrange to get to its full potential. I think you'll really appreciate the vocals on the HD595s later on, its my favourite aspect of the HD595 sound signature. The LDM+ is also a good amp for them, but I'm sure something like a Corda Headfive would be that much better (and also 4 times the price
rolleyes.gif
).

Oct 21, 2006 at 3:53 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by zyxwvutsr
I'm quite impressed with these headphones. Initially, I was interested in the HD595 because people on the forums here have been drawing similarities between the HD595 and the ATH-A900. I have the A500, and I was looking for an upgrade with a similar sound signature, so the HD595 seemed like a good choice. Plus, they are cheaper than the A900's.

Note: I made these impressions using the following chain of devices - laptop>Little Dot Micro+>ATh-A500 / 70ohm adapter+HD595.

When I first tried them, they were totally different from what I expected. The "openness" of the HD595s was what struck me first ... duh. It's just that I wasn't expecting the difference between open and closed to be so noticeable.

Some more specific comparisons:
The bass on the HD595 is tight and comparitively impactful but lacking in quantity compared to A500. Bass on both phones extend pretty low. A500's bass is more weighty, but it still has some impact.

When it comes to lower mids, HD595 wins hands down. On the HD595, detail in this range is much more apparent.

With regards to upper mids, I finally realize why some people claim that the vocals on the A5/7/900 sound nasally. However, the degree of nasality is slight at most. In this range, the A500s seem to have a bit more detail, especially with the vocals. However, this quality adds a bit of graininess to the vocals. Vocals on the HD595 are comparitively smooth, but not as smooth as the vocals on an AKG K240M, which out of all the headphones I have heard, is the king of vocals (especially female vocals).

The highs on the A500 really shine/sparkle. It's full of energy and detail. If not for the sibilance, I would absolutely love it. The HD595s, on the other hand, sound slightly muffled, but on the plus side, I detect almost no sibilance.

Both phones have good sound-staging. The A500s, however, seem to lack depth. I have no problem discerning the direction a certain sound is coming from, but I have a hard time trying to figure out which sound/instrument is closer to me. In fact, everything sounds as if they were right in front of me.

The HD595s are more tonally accurate. I was listening to some piano music and I found that the A500s add a sort of slight electronic quality to a grand piano (especially on the lower notes).

The above impressions were actually made when I first got the HD595s (about two weeks ago).

Lately, I've got a chance to evaluate the HD595's without the 70 ohm adapter and what I've got to say regarding this is probably inline with what everybody else has been saying.

The adapter noticeably tones down the treble and upper mids. The vocals are pushed back and become somewhat muted. Bass improves in terms of quantity and impact. Without the adapter, the highs do remind me of the A500 (without the sibilance though).

Overall, I'd give the HD595s a thumbs-up. However, I'm not completely satisfied with it. I wish that there was some way to merge the HD595s with and without the adapter in such a way that I would not have to sacrifice the upper end for better bass.

On another note, any suggestions on how to grant my wish? Perhaps a better amp? Or should I just look somewhere else in the headphones department?

Too shallow..Glad I sold mine..

Oct 21, 2006 at 4:18 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice
Too shallow..Glad I sold mine..

I'm glad I sold mine too. The hd595 isn't a bad can, but it does everything okay and nothing great imo. I am much happier with my k601, and I preferred the hd580 to the hd595.

I can't really list specifics of what I didn't like. I guess I never felt that involved with the music. It was like "this sound good, but ummm I'm not getting kicked in the face with sound quality, bass, soundstage, or anything." And I want to be kicked in the face when I listen to music.

Oct 21, 2006 at 5:34 AM Post #5 of 13
I think that's what makes the 595 great: it pays equal attention to all the frequency ranges. At least I find it kicks my face with electronica and synthasized music. I like it's bass response better then the 580s for recordings that make subwoofers pound. When I've got my 580 amped, then I like it better for classical and various acoustic music. With a high gain, it seems that the mids open up some with the 580s, but there isn't as much detail as the 595s. The 580s are more "colorful" since they have a bigger soundstage and draw more emphasis to bass. I'm interested in seeing what the difference with the 650 is, but I suspect that the 650 has a better bass response then the 580 (and slightly more so then the 600). Suspect it's because of the enclosures more then anything else (plastic vs carbon vs steel).

Oct 21, 2006 at 5:47 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by wnewport
I'm glad I sold mine too. The hd595 isn't a bad can, but it does everything okay and nothing great imo. I am much happier with my k601, and I preferred the hd580 to the hd595.

I can't really list specifics of what I didn't like. I guess I never felt that involved with the music. It was like "this sound good, but ummm I'm not getting kicked in the face with sound quality, bass, soundstage, or anything." And I want to be kicked in the face when I listen to music.

I agree. It's hard to put a finger on it.. By no means are they bad cans..They just couldn't keep up with the Amp & DAC upgrades like my 650s/SA5000's & the flaws of the cans became more apparant as I upgraded aswell.. The cans are front row, in your face, but beyond that they are shallow.

Oct 21, 2006 at 12:30 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by wnewport

I know exactly what you mean. Not the kicked in the face bit, but the 'this sounds good but ...' bit.

When my K-501 arrived, it was the first time I'd heard the mids coming through beautifully, crystal clear. The tiniest subtle detail was brought to the fore. Going back to my HD 595 was like putting a layer of cotton wool over the music!

Oct 30, 2006 at 7:13 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by porschemad911
I know exactly what you mean. Not the kicked in the face bit, but the 'this sounds good but ...' bit.

When my K-501 arrived, it was the first time I'd heard the mids coming through beautifully, crystal clear. The tiniest subtle detail was brought to the fore. Going back to my HD 595 was like putting a layer of cotton wool over the music!

u know that Little Dot II is designed to amp k501 and not very suitable for 595.
580smile.gif

Oct 30, 2006 at 7:37 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by leng jai
In my experience with the HD595 is that they require significant burn in for the bass to really kick and also for the midrange to get to its full potential. I think you'll really appreciate the vocals on the HD595s later on, its my favourite aspect of the HD595 sound signature. The LDM+ is also a good amp for them, but I'm sure something like a Corda Headfive would be that much better (and also 4 times the price
rolleyes.gif
).

I have to agree, the HD595 does open up quite nicely after some burn in time and partnered with a good amp. I could be wrong but I was under the impression the LDM+ was a tad lacking in the bass department. All based on hearsay of course, I've never heard one myself.

Oct 30, 2006 at 7:48 AM Post #11 of 13
Its funny you said that since the LDM+ is actually a fairly cold sounding amp. It doesn't actually add any bass quantity onto the 595s, just extends it slightly. Its not an amp pairing for someone who thinks the 595s are bass shy.

Oct 30, 2006 at 10:53 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by mirumu
I have to agree, the HD595 does open up quite nicely after some burn in time and partnered with a good amp. I could be wrong but I was under the impression the LDM+ was a tad lacking in the bass department. All based on hearsay of course, I've never heard one myself.

I find that the LDM+ has neither emphasized nor lean bass. I guess that means it would be linear
biggrin.gif

And yep, the HD595 would benefit by an amp with a little bass & midbass emphasis. Like, say, the Headfive.

Oct 30, 2006 at 10:59 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by zyxwvutsr
I wish that there was some way to merge the HD595s with and without the adapter in such a way that I would not have to sacrifice the upper end for better bass.

How about using a 35 ohm (70/2) adapter?
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back