Senn HD580's and 650's
Apr 27, 2009 at 7:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

k21000

New Head-Fier
I have both these headphones. I listen to them through my PC's Audigy 2 sound card. The 580's cable has died, but it works with the 650's cable. I am interested in a headphone amp and source to get more from these. Is it worth the investment?

Apr 27, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #4 of 14
buy a US made DIY box. there are builders here who do that.

why get a foreign made one that takes weeks in shipping when you can keep the business here at home?

just a thought..

the local DIY jobs are the better bang for the buck. check out tangent's site and amb's site and also tomb's site (read around and you'll find where the good DIY amps are).

I also have the 580 and 650 and they do really need a good amp. not expensive but at least a proper amp design.

Apr 27, 2009 at 8:31 PM Post #5 of 14
Both of your Senns will sound much improved with proper amplification. You can also get custom cables to replace you broken ones, or order a new 650 cable from Sennheiser. Most will say that the 650 cord is better than the 580 cord.

Amps, or external DAC + AMP. Not sure where to point you except to the search function on this forum. There are many threads where folks extol the virtue of their amp with the HD650.

If I was starting over, I would get the "micro stack" from Headroom, with a DAC, and separate AMP. You can spend a LOT more, or some less. There are indeed several reputable DIY (do it yourself) amp makers here, and a bunch of supporting audio gear dealers here. You can also find some all in one USB DAC/AMP which will put what you are listening to to shame in a hurry.

Do some searching, search your wallet for a budget, and read read read here.

Oh, and the standard - "welcome to Head-Fi and sorry about your wallet!"

Apr 27, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #6 of 14
I am loving my Millett Hybrid MiniMAX amp and Gamma-1 DAC with my HD580s. Both are DIY projects that did not break the bank. I built mine myself but you will find builders for both projects in the forums.

Apr 27, 2009 at 11:00 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by gspence2000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am loving my Millett Hybrid MiniMAX amp and Gamma-1 DAC with my HD580s. Both are DIY projects that did not break the bank. I built mine myself but you will find builders for both projects in the forums.

Definitely...

... the MiniMax is superb with Senns, or Grados, or Denons, or ATHS, or...

And... if you're not up to building one... or... just can't wait - buy it from Whiplash Audio!

Apr 27, 2009 at 11:22 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by k21000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have both these headphones. I listen to them through my PC's Audigy 2 sound card. The 580's cable has died, but it works with the 650's cable. I am interested in a headphone amp and source to get more from these. Is it worth the investment?

Yes.

Please get one, if only for the fact it's crazy to run HD650s from an Audigy. Wow.

Goto the sources/amps section and get one quick smart.

May 1, 2009 at 11:13 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
buy a US made DIY box. there are builders here who do that.

why get a foreign made one that takes weeks in shipping when you can keep the business here at home?

just a thought..

the local DIY jobs are the better bang for the buck. check out tangent's site and amb's site and also tomb's site (read around and you'll find where the good DIY amps are).

I also have the 580 and 650 and they do really need a good amp. not expensive but at least a proper amp design.

With DIY kits, you get to choose the components that may suit your needs. The part of which the foreign made ones takes weeks is incorrect. The time I place my order with Little-tube, I get the amp within a week (most of the time less than that after purchasing a total of six amps). The service and product are excellent. As for the cable, go to Moon Audio and there is a wide selection of custom cables for the Sennheiser HD580/600/650 series headphones which may suit the type of music that you are into.

Hope this helps

Have a great month of May
beerchug.gif

May 1, 2009 at 4:12 PM Post #10 of 14
I enjoy my HD580's with my MKIVse immensely. It took a whopping 4 days to get from China to my house. Needless to say I was stunned.

But as others have posted: yes, definitely get a good amp/dac if you are using a PC as a source. If you feel like the DAC in your sound card is a decent unit, you can just get an amp.

I'd avoid spending money on a custom cable though. IMO the price/performance ratio of custom cables is some of the worst in audio. If you have heard a high-end cable and you know for a fact that you will get a significant performance boost then by all means get one. The stock Senn cable is more than adequate and is reasonably priced.

May 1, 2009 at 4:35 PM Post #11 of 14
Try Antique Sound Lab MG-head OTL MarkIII, super amp for HD650~ especially if switch to the OTL mode, opens up the sound a lot~

May 1, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #13 of 14
The CK2III is one of the best amps I have heard with the Sennheisers.

Alternatively, if you are the DIY kind, build yourself an EHHA for the best performance.

May 1, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by cswann1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'd avoid spending money on a custom cable though. IMO the price/performance ratio of custom cables is some of the worst in audio. If you have heard a high-end cable and you know for a fact that you will get a significant performance boost then by all means get one. The stock Senn cable is more than adequate and is reasonably priced.

+1 for you!

cable-mania is just, well, nuts!
wink.gif

headphone amps tend to be low Z on their output (very very low Z on their output!). this mostly invalidates the cable issue for phones.

you'd be hard pressed to even tell the diff with good test gear, on 'cables'. at least in this config.

pros in the industry don't 'rewire' phones. why do consumers think they know better than those who MAKE the music, hmmm?

don't waste a cent on 'cables'. "its a trap!"
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back