Senn HD580 vs HD590
Feb 26, 2002 at 1:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Gerard

New Head-Fier
I will run this post past headwize, and headfi latter.

my current situation is this, i won't be able to get my speaker setup (nOrh sm6.1) untill the end of the year when i move out!!, so in the mean time i won't to get some good quailty headphones, because i am on the run alot, to go to work, and also share a room with a brother, so music carn't be too loud.

My solution is to get some good cans, hooked up to my NAD gear setup. I have heard the HD400-500 range of senn's extensively, but nothing has really grabed me, i just wasn't impressed, even with the HD500, which i thought were good, but not excellent, muddy bass, and not enough detail, and a little too laid back for me.

i have heard that the HD580, and HD590 sound vastly different to the lower range models. Since the 580's use the same drivers as the 600, but not as good parts, they should sound similar. I am planning to build a headphone amp for myself and my friend, so i should have any trouble with difficult load. i haven't heard either headphone by the way.

my question is the differnce between the 580, and 590, since at meier audio they cost the same, US$170 shipped worldwide (cheapest i have seen). the 590 seem to have a more rugged build to them, and the 580 don't have single detachable cord arrrghhh!!!, but they are detachable from both ends. How good is the quality in materials in the 580's, because they look, and sound more interesting from what i have read, the 590's by comparisom are brighter, and give a more forward presentation.

both cans have good reviews, and senn are discontinuing the 580's in favour of the 590's.

any help would be useful, cheers
frown.gif

Feb 26, 2002 at 2:42 AM Post #4 of 8
What ever you do...dont do business from www.campsiehifi.com.au. They are shifty, I got 2 used pairs of senns before I got a new pair.

Then they lied to me about a cd player that I was about to purchace.

Feb 26, 2002 at 3:49 AM Post #5 of 8
i thought the main difference is that the hd580 is a high impedance phone while the hd590 is a low impedance phone.

the hd590 is a different design to the hd580 and i would imagine sounds different too. I've got the 580 and i can say they are worth every cents you pay for them.. they are real value for money in my books.

Feb 26, 2002 at 3:59 AM Post #6 of 8
What do you mean by the senn hd580s not having a detachable single cord?

They certainly do have a detachable cord! left and right!

Personally, I prefer the 580s. THe 590s seem too much like the lower senns.

Feb 26, 2002 at 4:05 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
What do you mean by the senn hd580s not having a detachable single cord?

i think he meant the hd590 has only one cord coming from the left phone and not two cords like the hd580

Feb 26, 2002 at 4:17 AM Post #8 of 8
Gerard;
Douglas hifi in the city have Sennheisers on demo so you can do a comparison yourself, I don't know if they have the HD590 on demo (I'm pretty sure they do) but they definately have the HD580.

I personally much preferred the sound of the 580s to the 590s, but I'm not in a hurry to get either.
You can get yourself Beyer DT931s for around $380AU here in Perth which IMHO sound better than either (but that's open to personal preference)

I have to say though, I'm pretty happy with my Philips HP890s for open listening and my Beyer 770pros for closed listening
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back