Senn HD580 Stock Cable = Lowest Quality Ever
Sep 10, 2007 at 4:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Distroyed

1000+ Head-Fier
I can't get over the fact that my stock HD580 cables have now shorted on me 3 times. 2 cables, 3 shorts. One of the channels just dies at a certain point in the cable, which one can usually get around by cutting the bad portion out and resoldering, but who wants a soldered cable with tape holding it together? Moreover, the stock HD650 cable's are constantly out of stock on Sennheiser's website (and the in-stock 580 cable costs more money). Has anyone else had such misfortune with this cable?

I might send out a warning to hd580 users - expect your cable to die and have a replacement ready at hand.

PS, if anyone has a stock HD650 they'd like to get rid of, shoot me a pm.

Sep 10, 2007 at 5:27 PM Post #4 of 11
....ok; I've only had my HD600 about six months, but I've stepped on the cable twice and unplugged them once. I've had them get caught on the edge of my computer desk and pulled offa my head once and just gave a a fright about elleventyseven other times. And sometimes I forget that I have them wrapped around my game controller a few times to take up some slack. I figured they were pretty cheap cables too, so I figured that when they failed I would just do something to see that it wouldn't happen again....

.....but they just won't die!

I really don't mind.
tongue.gif

Maybe it's like Grados and Alessandros. Some of us are just lucky!
wink.gif

Sep 10, 2007 at 7:28 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nagasaki_Kid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what are you plugging your hd580 in?

Usually an ASL MG Head DT-OTL. Sometimes a Headsave Classic.

Just got word from Senn - the cable is scheduled to ship in 2 weeks. I've lost world class audio for 2+ weeks
frown.gif

Sep 10, 2007 at 9:22 PM Post #8 of 11
I've had a pair of HD580s since July 1994 (13 years old!), still using the original cable without a problem.

Are you certain that the problems you are experiencing were in the cables and not in the connection jack(s) inside the phones? The mere act of removing and reinserting the cable from the phones could temporarily correct the problem, after which it might reoccur at any time. There used to be a post on the web with step-by-step instructions for fixing the jacks inside the HD580 that had this problem. (I can't find the post anymore, so I suspect it's no longer around.)

Sep 10, 2007 at 10:03 PM Post #11 of 11
That's an interesting possibility, but not the case here. By bending the affected part of the cable I can reestablish the sound temporarily. Moreover, when I switch the R/L cables, I get sound out of the good cable side and not the bad no matter the ear. I will say that in all 3 instances the damaged part of the cable has occured within the closest 2 feet to the headphone. I don't do anything damaging or stressful to the wire at those distances (or any other) to my knowledge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back