boybandista

New Head-Fier
I've got a budget of around $300-350, and currently I'm choosing between these:
Source: Touch 5th Gen

*local retailer prices
a) Senn HD 558 (~$200) + E17 (~$150)
b) Senn Momentum (~$350)
c) NAD Viso HP50 (~$300)

Since the HD558 has been here for quite some time, I've been wondering how it fares against the newer Momentum and the HP50.

If it sounds noticeably better than the two, I might choose it.

If the sound is comparable to the other two, I'll most likely forego it as the other two has the advantage of being more "portable".

Any thoughts?

Aug 9, 2014 at 4:19 AM Post #2 of 5
Not sure why you are considering the open (and large) 558 for use with a portable device.  It's a good can for home where you needs for isolation and concern about leakage can be minimal, but not on the go.

From your list, I prefer the NAD Viso HP50.  See:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/i-love-these-headphonesthe-nad-viso-hp50

Aug 9, 2014 at 4:57 AM Post #3 of 5
From what I read, the NAD is one of, if not the best portable headphones available right now. You should consider getting a cheap amp, I've heard many good things about the Topping NX1.

Aug 9, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #4 of 5
The 558 sounds better than the Momentum(shame on you Sennheiser) but not better than the NAD. I'd go with the NAD as it doesn't need amp, is portable, and has a soundstage better than most if not all closed headphones I've tried in that price range; it sounds rather open with deep bass and good articulation, it takes the best of the 558 and Momentum ans presents it in one single package.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back