senn hd555 vs grado sr60
Mar 28, 2006 at 9:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 55

scottymac

Head-Fier
hey everyone, i'm on the brink of buying a pair of sennheiser hd555's. however it's been brought to my attention that the grado sr60's are an alternative. i've read this thread http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=145492 and i'm still not sure. I mainly listen to rock/metal ( http://www.last.fm/user/scootermac/ ), but i also listen to a decent amount of ambient music as well. i've heard the sr60's are better for rock/metal based on that thread, is there any truth to this?

also, one more question. i would be using these headphones for my PC (that has a nice audigy2 ZS sound card), a JVC MX-GC5 stereo-cd player, and maybe even my TV. all of these have 1/8 jacks, and the headphones i'm thinking about getting have a 1/4 plug. would using a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter have any noticable effect on the sound quality? are both the hd555 and sr60s good for using it on the PC etc?

Mar 28, 2006 at 9:44 PM Post #2 of 55
It's one of the cardinal truths of Head-fi that Grados are better than Senn for rock/metal. (I think the 555 is a good all-rounder that does fine with rock). If you're looking at the 555 level, most would suggest the Alessandro MS1 over the SR60.

OTOH, I don't think I would use a Grado for ambient music.

Another option to consider: Audio Technica A500. It can do rock quite well, and it has the soundstage and smoothness for ambient.

Mar 28, 2006 at 10:30 PM Post #3 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
It's one of the cardinal truths of Head-fi that Grados are better than Senn for rock/metal. (I think the 555 is a good all-rounder that does fine with rock). If you're looking at the 555 level, most would suggest the Alessandro MS1 over the SR60.

OTOH, I don't think I would use a Grado for ambient music.

Another option to consider: Audio Technica A500. It can do rock quite well, and it has the soundstage and smoothness for ambient.

so hd555 > sr60 for more ambient, mellow music. and it's the other way around for metal? is the sound BAD on the hd555s when listening to metal, or is it just slightly worse than grado? i'm not a picky audiophile or anything, so i'll probably be just fine with the hd 555s when listening to rock/metal. and what about my second question regarding the adapters...thanks for the help so far

Mar 28, 2006 at 10:34 PM Post #4 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by scottymac
i'm not a picky audiophile or anything, so i'll probably be just fine with the hd 555s when listening to rock/metal.

I agree. I don't think the 555 sounds BAD with anything.

As for adaptors, I don't believe that they affect sound quality, as long as they're better than the crappy Radioshack ones.

If the Senn comes with a rigid adaptor (looks like a straight plug), that could put a lot of strain on a mini jack. I think the Grado flexible adaptor sold by Headroom is really good:

http://www.headphone.com/products/ca...ug-adapter.php

Mar 28, 2006 at 11:00 PM Post #5 of 55
Quote:

so hd555 > sr60 for more ambient, mellow music. and it's the other way around for metal? is the sound BAD on the hd555s when listening to metal, or is it just slightly worse than grado? i'm not a picky audiophile or anything, so i'll probably be just fine with the hd 555s when listening to rock/metal. and what about my second question regarding the adapters...thanks for the help so far

Jagorev makes a great recommendation here...the Alessandro MS1.
It will give you the aggressive sig that the basic Grado line is known for yet provide you with a bit more soundstage and "warmth"; both being more prevalent in the Senns.

MS1 is a great middlegound; a terrific headphone and tremendous value at about $100.

Mar 28, 2006 at 11:50 PM Post #8 of 55
I have the HD-555 and I would recommend those unless you can afford the Grado 225 or MS2i or higher. Currently, I am listening to my new Grado 325i and I would say get the HD-555 if you listen to different types of music besides just rock and metal, play games, or like a little more comfort. The higher end Grado's are where they really shine. Just my advice...

Mar 29, 2006 at 2:35 AM Post #9 of 55
alright, so it's a tie between the hd555 and the MS1. i'm leaning towards the hd555s, i've just heard so many good things about it. they look damn comfortable too. I think ill be more than happy with them even when listening to rock/metal, they just might not be as good as the other ones suggested here. however ill try to research more on the MS1.

Mar 29, 2006 at 2:48 AM Post #10 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
I agree. I don't think the 555 sounds BAD with anything.

I agree, I had the sr60 and 555(which I kept). They didn't sound bad exactly, but with some music it was like something was missing, almost but not quite there.

Mar 29, 2006 at 2:54 AM Post #11 of 55
Go with the HD-555's. I have used the 570's,515's, and got to try the 555's for awhile last week and they were nice. Just as comfy as the rest and have the nice warm sennheiser sound. Just my opinion
biggrin.gif

Mar 29, 2006 at 2:55 AM Post #12 of 55
Had em both-sold them both,sr60 too harsh,hd555 just boring.Ended up with dt990 which is best of both worlds,not too harsh but plenty of excitement on all types of music.

Mar 29, 2006 at 3:49 AM Post #13 of 55
If it's between the SR-60s and the 555s the 555s for sure. I'm not a fan of the SR-60s. To me they're overrated, they're harsh and uncomfortable.
The 555s won't rock as well, but they are a great all around can. You'll enjoy them.

Mar 29, 2006 at 11:40 PM Post #15 of 55
Quote:

it's a tie between the ms1 and hd555. so close to buying the hd555
icon10.gif

edit: any more pages on the MS1 besides the above link? googling didn't really give me good results

Alessandro products are only sold directly from Alessandro themselves.

A forum search here will turn up plenty of info on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back