Senn HD555`s : one of the easiest driven full size set of cans out there ?
Jul 18, 2009 at 2:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Thermonuclear

Head-Fier
I got my HD555`s and am thrilled with them, One thing I found strange was although they are 50ohm cans , the ease with which my Creek OBH11 drives them is uncanny. I even used them umamped for a couple of traks and the 555`s must be the easiest driven full size cans I have ever owned.

I thought the higher ohm rating than say my 485`s ,which are 32 ohm, would make the 555`s a more demanding load..............absolutely not the case. Ive no intention of modding them in any way, as I love their sounds as they are. Anybody else find that they are an audiophile set of cans that are as easy as pie to drive also ?

Jul 18, 2009 at 2:22 PM Post #2 of 17
I love my hd555....89.00 or so purchase and I highly recommend this phone to newcomers. Very easily driven as you said. To me they are a nice taste of the sennheiser flavor and for newbies or budget conscious folks a must. Heck, I could stop after these if I needed to. I am currently listening to these out of my Whiplash audio mini millet tube hybrid...extremely nice but the amp is definitely not necessary but it does bring out some more goodness.

Jul 18, 2009 at 2:25 PM Post #3 of 17
the only full size can Ive tried easier to drive than the 555/595s are the audio technica ad2000 so far as talking about a high volume at a low setting is concerned

Jul 18, 2009 at 4:01 PM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drumonron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love my hd555....89.00 or so purchase and I highly recommend this phone to newcomers. Very easily driven as you said. To me they are a nice taste of the sennheiser flavor and for newbies or budget conscious folks a must. Heck, I could stop after these if I needed to. I am currently listening to these out of my Whiplash audio mini millet tube hybrid...extremely nice but the amp is definitely not necessary but it does bring out some more goodness.

I am really one of those new comers who need a push now...

I am stuck with AD700 and this one...Is AD700 really way better as all the comparisions that go on here suggest..or it is preference...

Jul 18, 2009 at 4:06 PM Post #5 of 17
To me they are on par with each other in fidelity. You should decide whether you want punch and warmth(555) over openness and clarity(ad700).

Jul 18, 2009 at 4:19 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by pavan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
from what i read here,bass on AD700 is literally non-existing..is it true?

It's there, but not much impact. Reminds me of the K701 bass.

Jul 18, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #10 of 17
enjoy plastic sound signature

Jul 18, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #12 of 17
its not just the ohm rating that tells you if a can is easy or hard to drive.

There are alot of cans that have a lower Ohm rating, but are hard to drive....example would be the 701s or the R10s. I believe (could be wrong) that resistance has alot to due with it.

Jul 18, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by HighLife /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are alot of cans that have a lower Ohm rating, but are hard to drive....example would be the 701s or the R10s. I believe (could be wrong) that resistance has alot to due with it.

Actually, all other things being equal, higher impedances are easier to drive, not the reverse. What can really mess up an amp is very low impedance, say under two ohms. And of course high phase angles add to an amplifier's troubles.

Jul 18, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #14 of 17
The HD555s a certainly easily driven but a amp will add a tad bit of refinement as well as tighten up the bass/mid bass. If I could do it all over again I would probably choose the HD555 over the ad700.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back