Senn HD555 or Beyerdynamic DTX990?
Dec 1, 2004 at 5:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

chungsoi

500+ Head-Fier
I currently own a Sony Eggo d66 for portable use with my ipod mini. I have been on the search for new cans I can use for basic monitoring on my laptop (music production), and also to hook up to my guitar amp directly for silent practice. Basically, I am looking for open headphones which can deliver accurate sound for mainly rock music at the same time offer high comfortability.
Sony Eggo D66 are without a doubt great sounding phones, however it tends to heat up my ears very quickly due to the closed nature.
I have read a lot of good things about both Senn HD555 and Beyer DTX990 and are both equally priced at about AUS$200.
Can anyone help me decide which headphones to buy?
I am open to other suggestions, as long as they are within the $200AUS (approx $150US) budget.

Dec 1, 2004 at 5:04 PM Post #2 of 12
I toss out a recommendation for the beyers, but not those beyers. Look for a used set of DT440s, you won't be disappointed.

How about Grados? They are supposedly the best rock cans available. I don't know much about them, but ask around.

Oh, and if the eggos heat up your ears, sell them or trade for E3c... best little bud for the iPod I've found yet.

Just my 2 cents. =P

Dec 2, 2004 at 12:29 AM Post #3 of 12
Thanks for your reply.
I was also considering the MS-1's which are about $50 cheaper than the HD555 and DTX990. However they seem to be lacking seriously in design and comfort.
frown.gif

I've read that grados/ms-1's are great for rock music, but how do they stand in terms of monitoring use?
Also how about Sony MDR-v700? How do these cans sound and feel in comparison to the cans suggested above?

Dec 2, 2004 at 1:51 AM Post #4 of 12
I don't know the 555s but the DTX900s are much more neutral than the Grado SR60s, so they should be better for monitoring than any Grado derivative at this price-range. Another good thing is the DTX900s are very comfy.

JensL compared the DTX900s to the 595s and they didn't come off too badly, so by inference they should also do well in comparison to the 555. Also, they don't really require an amp to give a good sound.

The DT440 should be even more refined, but again I've not heard those myself. Certainly they look less plasticky than the DTX900.

Dec 2, 2004 at 1:56 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by chungsoi
Also how about Sony MDR-v700? How do these cans sound and feel in comparison to the cans suggested above?

The Sony MDR-V700 is in nowhere near the same class as the other cans that you were considering, sound-quality wise. In fact, the MDR-V700 may be a sizable step downwards from your current MDR-D66 Eggos - its entire upper end is uneven and muffled, and its mid-bass and lower midrange are quite overboosted as well.

Dec 2, 2004 at 3:12 AM Post #6 of 12
There was a thread about this on the OCAU forums about which of these cans was more aesthetically pleasing.
I think theres a review under headphone reviews on this forum that matches these 2 cans together here

Hope that helps

Dec 2, 2004 at 4:15 AM Post #7 of 12
Ok, I have now narrowed it down to three headphones.
blink.gif

Beyerdynamic DT440 $299AUD (thanks aeriyn
wink.gif
)

Beyerdynamic DTX990 $199AUD
(thanks 1up, I've also read your review in comparison to the sr60's)

AKG K240s $299AUD

I will not be using an amp at all, and have no plans in buying an amp in the near future. Do all three of these cans sound fine without an amp?

At the moment, I'm very much inclined towards the DTX990 mainly due to the cheaper price and the fact that they are slightly more neutral sounding without making them boring to listen to. I assume that this would allow for a better musical analysis, especially for monitoring. The comfyness is also a major factor.

Which of these three headphones should I go for, taking into consideration that I will mainly use them for monitoring home recordings on laptop and the best bang for bucks?

Dec 2, 2004 at 10:11 AM Post #9 of 12
Well, I said above, the DTX900 sound absolutely fine with no amp, and in terms of bang for the buck, I think their value for money is truly excellent. But bear in mind, you may find yourself wanting to upgrade in the future (if you get the bug!) and perhaps you could therefore justify skipping to the next level. It's your cash.
plainface.gif

Dunno if the others sound fine with no amp.

Dec 3, 2004 at 3:25 AM Post #11 of 12
I have finally decided to spend a few extra bucks and go for DT440! I have found it to be $50 cheaper to buy from "Headroom" (shipped from US for total of $250AUS) compared to the DTX900 which sells for $200AU in Aussie.

Has anyone here had any experience with Headroom?

Dec 3, 2004 at 3:32 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by chungsoi
I have finally decided to spend a few extra bucks and go for DT440! I have found it to be $50 cheaper to buy from "Headroom" (shipped from US for total of $250AUS) compared to the DTX900 which sells for $200AU in Aussie.

Has anyone here had any experience with Headroom?

My choice too. Headroom is one of the best. Probably one of the three most authoritative sources. (It's a sponsor of head-fi as well. Many people have had good experiences buying from them. Including me.
wink.gif
)

P.S. DT440s are very nice from what I've heard.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back