Senn HD280s -> ?
Nov 19, 2006 at 11:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Spiricore

Head-Fier
I've been pulling my hair out for the last few days being completely overwhelmed with all the different options out there so I, once again, am coming to the Head-Fi community for some help.

My dilemma is that I have a wide range of needs and I'd like to either have one set of cans that can reasonably do it all, or two (at most). My primary need is for digital audio editing (sound effects, dialogue, music). Second would be music (rock, industrial, synthpop, indie, experimental, instrumental soundtrack-like stuff) and third would be movies (drama, suspence, war, anime) and games (WoW, Gears of War, GTA).

Obviously the mediums for these different things varies but mostly confined to a reasonable quality sound card and my Archos 604 PMP. Basically some cans/IEMs for my Archos on the go (aesthetics dont bother me too much) for listening to music and movies and cans for at home/in the studio listening to music, movies, games and editing. I spend a good 12-16 hours a day at the computer, so this set MUST be comfortable.

Now you know why this is daunting to me.
600smile.gif

My feelings on the Sennheiser HD280 Pros are that I like them, but I am unimpressed by their build quality (I've already had the sizing notch break in one side and a large piece of the plastic shell has broken off near the head rest). I was impressed by the sound quality but it seemed somewhat muddy; I'm happy with the bass though. It provided great sound isolation but has been annoying at times when I've been working with other people where I'm almost yelling and they are trying to talk over it. That's another issue- sometimes I use them in quiet environments (editing bay) and other times I'm on the set of a film and they've got 10 fans blowing full-blast. I'm looking for something with maybe a little less sound isolation and more clarity, while still keeping the nice bass.

[size=small]First, what I am looking for:[/size]
- Under $500 (for both sets if that turns out to be the case)
- Comfortable over long durations. This is a must!
- Sturdy. Something I can take toss in my bag and not worry about it shattering.
- Balanced sound, but I also like to feel the bass.
- Accurate sound. This is a must for dealing with sound effects and dialogue.
- (optional) Something I can upgrade when my fledgeling audiophile ears start to grow.
- Quality. Quality build and sound. But I don't want to pay a premium price for it, of course.
eggosmile.gif

[size=small]Second, what I'm not looking for:[/size]
- Earpads (ala Grados) - my ears REALLY start to hurt when any pressure is applied to them over long durations.
- Three sets of cans.

[size=small]What I'm not sure if I should be looking for:[/size]
A headphone amp. This is a huge balancing act for me because I know that I'm not going to be able to power some good 'phones out of a laptop (when I get it) or my Archos. If I can find a set of cans that doesn't require an amp, all the better. If its just blatantly obvious that I should get a specific set and I'll need an amp to power them with these devices then I'll do it.

[size=small]What I have considered:[/size]
beyerdynamic DT770 Pro-80: All this bass talk is nice, but I hear the mids suffer. Not very balanced but I haven't done much research into modding them.
Audio-Technica ATH-A900: On the near verge of purchasing some of these, but something keeps holding me back making me feel like I'm missing something better for my needs.

[size=small]What has been recommended:[/size]
Koss KSC 75 - They look so cheap; they seem a step backwards...and then some.
Grado SR80 - I like the prospect, I don't like the earpad design.
Grado SR125 - See SR80.

A note on IEMs: I've never had a chance to use IEMs so I decided to go ahead and shell out $100 for some V-moda Vibes to try them out. I know from experience that my ears hated earbuds and made them very sore so I'm a little skittish on that. I should be seeing them by the end of next week and that will determine if I send them back for good or send them back and decide to buy a more expensive pair. As far as I'm concerned, that $100 is applied to the $500 limit I've set...making what I'm looking for to fill in the rest of my needs to be no more than $400.

Nov 20, 2006 at 12:19 AM Post #2 of 9
K701 and a pint or stacked buffer pimeta running at 24V.
Millet is also a good budget choice for the 701, altohugh I dont know if you can find a used one in your budget.

Nov 20, 2006 at 12:50 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
K701 and a pint or stacked buffer pimeta running at 24V.
Millet is also a good budget choice for the 701, altohugh I dont know if you can find a used one in your budget.

He's going to throw it in his bag, though. The K701's aren't durable enough for that IMO.

You might be able to transport a pair of SA5000's (<-should be able to find used) in your bag if you're careful. Compared to the 701's, they are less dry, have a blacker background, are a bit colored, and are semi-closed; the 701's are open.

Nov 20, 2006 at 1:43 AM Post #4 of 9
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm definitely intrigued by the K701s though I can certainly see how they wouldn't hold up too well to abuse. I assume you can get a nice case for these though? I've been spending my time trying to decypher your recommendations for amps since I have spent zero time researching the DIY stuff and I'm still trying to find someone who is actually selling something along those lines.

As for the SA5000s, after reading reviews it seems like they sound more flat and sharp which doesn't sound very appealing (to me) when I am spending my time listening to music and watching movies. I could CERTAINLY see the obvious advantage to having those while sound editing, but I'm having a hard time justifying them being my primary jack-of-all-trade pair. If I had my way (and money), I'd get both.

Nov 20, 2006 at 3:11 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spiricore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As for the SA5000s, after reading reviews it seems like they sound more flat and sharp which doesn't sound very appealing (to me) when I am spending my time listening to music and watching movies. I could CERTAINLY see the obvious advantage to having those while sound editing, but I'm having a hard time justifying them being my primary jack-of-all-trade pair. If I had my way (and money), I'd get both.

Both the 701's and the SA5000's are very flat (in frequency response). I find the that 701's are very natural, while the SA5000's are more euphonic, probably because they have a bit more bass. Also, I wouldn't describe them as sharp, but quick and tight, since sharp has a painful connotation for me; I imagine sharp as needles attacking one's ears.

Nov 20, 2006 at 4:52 AM Post #6 of 9
Alright so after doing some more reading on the SA5000's, I'm a little less skittish about them. I've been trying to find some information on how to make them have less potential to become tiresome to listen to over long durations of music listening but haven't had much substantial luck yet. Any recommendations? Also, being the semi-basshead I am, I would be overjoyed if there was something that could boost it on both cans. I suppose an amp would help with that...but which? Ugh.

So as of right now, both of these 'phones are about tied on my list. Any information/comments based on my situation would be absolutely wonderful.

Nov 20, 2006 at 5:15 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spiricore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alright so after doing some more reading on the SA5000's, I'm a little less skittish about them. I've been trying to find some information on how to make them have less potential to become tiresome to listen to over long durations of music listening but haven't had much substantial luck yet. Any recommendations? Also, being the semi-basshead I am, I would be overjoyed if there was something that could boost it on both cans. I suppose an amp would help with that...but which? Ugh.

So as of right now, both of these 'phones are about tied on my list. Any information/comments based on my situation would be absolutely wonderful.

I don't find the SA5000's fatiguing, though it's possible that I'm less sensitive to treble energy than those who do find the phones fatiguing. You could gauge your sensitivity to treble by trying some Grados; Grados, from what I've read, have the second most treble next to the SA series. Interestingly, I think that the 701's have a bit more treble than the SA5000's, but then again, this could have to do with my sensitivity to certain frequencies that the 701's are louder at.

The M^3 is designed to accommodate a bassboost knob, though you would end up spending over $300 on one. Then again, you are happy with the bass on your 280's. Unless they are blue tack modded, the bass is very lean.

Honestly, both phones are great and you won't know which one is better for you until you try them. But on the basis of durability and being semi-closed, the SA5000 wins.

Nov 21, 2006 at 1:33 AM Post #8 of 9
Well after speaking with a few friends and getting their impressions (based on what I listen to) I decided to go for the K701's. It was felt between the three of us that it was less "risky" to go with the K701's in terms of change of sound from the HD280's compared to the SA5000.

I also picked up a used Go-Vibe 5 from apnk (great guy), a cotton ALO mini to mini (ugh, I regret that 3am purchase) and a Grado 1/4" to 1/8" adapter from HeadRoom. Hopefully I'm set for now. The only thing I'm still in the market for is a case...I have my eye on the RoadWired from ebags but I'm waiting for my Archos and Co. to show up (f'ing UPS is late) to make sure of dimensions.

Thanks for the great advice - if I end up not liking the K701's for whatever reason I'll definitely pick up the SA5000's.

Nov 21, 2006 at 3:39 AM Post #9 of 9
AKG 271s. Full sized, isolating, easy to rotate one ear off for talking. Very durable. Turn themselves off when you take them off. $199 retail, seen regularly for $164. And I know of a guy that is trying to sell his for less than that right here on the for sale forums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back