Senn HD280 vs. Sony v6 Which to buy!!!??
Apr 1, 2003 at 12:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

johnny sack

100+ Head-Fier
I need to buy a new pair of headphones. I have sony V600's now...which i was told were good...and I guess i am fairly inexperienced, so I think they sound fine. BUT, if there are headphones, like the V6 and the HD280's that are in similar price range, and that supposedly sound WAY better, I am definitely interested.

I just need to know which to buy, HD280s or V6???

I listen to everything...but i probably listen to more rock/classic rock than anyhting else, if that should make much of a difference.

Apr 1, 2003 at 1:02 AM Post #2 of 20
I've tried both and ended up with the V6. why?

The V6 has a more bright and foward sound. Since I was using these to listen at work and playing house / trance music, I needed something with a lot of bass and does will with synthesized music.

Plus...

The 280s are just plain ugly.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 1, 2003 at 2:34 AM Post #4 of 20
given your preferences, i would say to go for the mdr-v6. the hd280 does have treble, and is considered bright by some (not me), but the mdr-v6 is much more forward and you will probably have more fun with them listening to rock than you would with the hd280. mind you, i like the hd280 very much, and it is IMO a better long-term listening can... and the only reason i no longer have my hd280 is because the ath-w1000 is my new long-term listening can (which bests the hd280 in almost every aspect, as it should for 4 times the price).

ideally, you should listen to both for yourself and then make a decision. words can only go so far, and are a terrible substitute for experience. but if you do not have the means or the patience to try both, then i have a feeling you might enjoy the mdr-v6 more (especially if you like and are accustomed to the way the v600 sounds).

Apr 1, 2003 at 2:47 AM Post #5 of 20
well , for me i find the V6 very bright - i could not listen to it for more than 15 minutes at my normal lsitening level .

i also find soundstage - oopps what soundstage?

as for the hd280pro - i have not heard this one.

Apr 1, 2003 at 11:35 PM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by johnny sack
anyone else out there have an opinion?? it would help me out alot..

Just heard the 280's for the first time in a music shop today. They sounded very good for my first closed headphones (not counting the px200's that are very different). They weren't burnt in or anything. Straight from the box. The only cans I can compare them to are all open- 497, Grado's 60's and 80's. They were all burnt in (unfair) and I have to admit I liked them all better than the 280's, though I know many will feel differently.

Only other word of advice is Amazon has the 280's on sale right now. $80 shipped. So if you're leaning in that direction get them soon. They switched the prices on the 497's on me over 12 hours.

Apr 2, 2003 at 12:30 AM Post #9 of 20
I have both the V-6 and the HD280Pro's. Both are closed and offer some isolation. I like them both for different kinds of music.

Comparisons:

V-6: Deeper bass response, bright, recessed mid's, energetic, soundstage minimal

HD280: Better soundstage, larger earcups, laid-back sound (relative to the V-6)

V600 (do not own, but have heard in a/b comparo with the V-6): bloated loose (flabby) midbass, less accurate highs than the V-6. Sound is significantly inferior to the V-6 in most every way.

FYI- In this price range, I also own Grado SR80's which I prefer to any of the above cans. Very energetic, bass is tighter though less extended than the V-6. Soundstage is like you are on the stage with the band. Open design, though, with minimal isolation.
I would second the advice to try before you buy if at all possible- for both sound and comfort preferences.

Hope this helps.

Jon

Apr 2, 2003 at 1:36 AM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by blessingx

Only other word of advice is Amazon has the 280's on sale right now. $80 shipped. So if you're leaning in that direction get them soon. They switched the prices on the 497's on me over 12 hours.

I checked out amazon...what is that super saver shipping? and what does "your item may take 5 - 7 days longer to ship"

does that mean 5 - 7 days longer before they actually go down to the post office and ship it, or does it mean that many MORE days until it gets to my house?

Apr 2, 2003 at 3:20 AM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by johnny sack
I checked out amazon...what is that super saver shipping? and what does "your item may take 5 - 7 days longer to ship"

does that mean 5 - 7 days longer before they actually go down to the post office and ship it, or does it mean that many MORE days until it gets to my house?

My guess is the item just moves down the priority list. So each stop through Amazon's fulfillment process could take longer potentially equally 5-7 extra days before shipping (kinda like how non-first class mail is). I've used it three times. Once did take that long. Another wasn't bad. When I just ordered my Senn PX200's a couple weeks ago, they shipped the second day after ordering. Your choice is it's worth the possible wait. You can always select traditional shipping charges at checkout.

Apr 3, 2003 at 5:19 PM Post #12 of 20
(bump)

the time is coming to where I need to make a decision,
anyone out here who hasn't said any input yet???? v6 vs. hd280

Apr 3, 2003 at 7:45 PM Post #13 of 20
I bought the Hd 280 pro's and im happy about it! They were uncomfy as heck in the beggining but that has fixed up.The sound is really good but as i have mentioned before i think u can find better for metal/rock music. Some songs sound just plain terrific and others sound like "i wish i had a bit more out of my phones",but mind u,im using them unamped from an audigy and a sony discman.
I think im goona buy the v6's sometime,just to get to know the feel.After all theyre relatively cheap
The 280's sound gr8 for electronica etc. btw! The only thing that gets me down a bit are the looks,but that isnt terrible and if u want to use them only at home,even better!

but as i said,rock+metal,im not that happy.Good with some songs,not that good with others.Maybe some head-Fi big minds would join again?

+try doing a more sophisticated search(if u havent),there are LOADS of opinions on the topic here.
Hope i was of help!

Apr 3, 2003 at 7:45 PM Post #14 of 20
I'm gonna give you my 2 cents..right after I finish this fantastic roast beef sandwich....In about 2 minutes, so don't go anywhere yet.

Edit:

Ok, done. Sorry, once I hit some nice ass food, everything else takes a back seat
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyway, I've heard the HD 280's and the V 6's (7506's) on 3 occasions and here's what I think:

!)Both excellent cans for the money

2)The 280's get a much better seal...you're practically deaf in these even with no music on.

3)The V6's have more of a colored sound, reprodicing some warmth compared to the pristine - almost clinically sterile - sound of the 280's ...which I happen to prefer for some of the music I listen to.

4)I think that the 280's have the abililty to bring out flaws that may be inherant in a system or media, whereas the V6's would probably do a good job of covering those nuances.

5)I thought I saw someone say that the presentation of the 280's was laid back...I got the total opposite impression. IMO, they were very up front/in your face...but all at once, meaning that the soundstage isn't very dynamic...it's a very tight sound in comparison.

Um...when I heard both of these, I definetely liked (and this is personal preference of course) the sound of the 280's more. I felt that there was more oomph for the buck. Now, I'm really really sure that both these cans are FULLY burned in..because they're running ALL DAY ..every day through a wall mounted 3 channel outboard/amp at B&H video. They probably only shut them off when the store is closing at night.

Overall, I think it depends on what kind of music you'll be listening to and for how long. I think that the snugness of the 280's is pretty comfortable, but I couldn't see wearing them all day...Then again, I couldn't see wearing the 6's all day either, but prolly longer than the 280's.

I"m actually looking into both of these as my next purchase along with the Beyerdynamic 770's . Those puppies kick the crap out of both the Sony and the Sennheiser in sound, and comfort. But are a tad more $$ If I had the cash, it would be on the Beyers FO SHO' !

Oh...one more thing. Please don't let asthetics detour you from getting what you think sounds best. Who the hell cares what you look like when you're jammin ? I certainly don't . Asthetics are for sissy boys. Down with conformity !

S.S.

Apr 3, 2003 at 8:39 PM Post #15 of 20
I'm having to decide on these two cans myself. I too am new too the headphone thing with the only experience being some Grado 60 hand-me-downs. I like their sound, but not the comfort of the cans.

I listened to both the V6 and the 280's and liked the 280's more for their more balanced sound. The v6's seemed a little too forward on the material I had (Hammond B3 jazz, Nicholas Payton, and even No Doubt). The Bass also seemed a little less controlled (could be due to the source at the listening station). The 280's didn't slam as hard on the No Doubt, but it felt like I could listen longer to the 280's than the V6's. I'm still searching though and hopefully will decide a set of cans soon.

I may end up getting both and auditioning at home and returning/selling the one I don't want.

Good luck (me too I guess...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back