Senn HD280 Pro-new $69 on eBay!
Nov 16, 2004 at 2:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

tigger

500+ Head-Fier
Check it out here
280smile.gif

Nov 16, 2004 at 2:31 PM Post #2 of 17
Go grab a pair of these! I just bought some for this price at Guitar Center last week (took back the AKG K240S-- they just didn't groove as much as the DT770's did), and when amped, the HD280's really show off that loooooow end-- not boomy at all, just really deep. Plus nice, slightly forward mids, and a pleasing high end, once burned in for about 50 hours... and the isolation is great!

Nov 16, 2004 at 3:46 PM Post #3 of 17
anyone know if these benefit from using an amp at all? i use the PX100s portably and the ER4s when i want isolation, but another alternative for isolation would be nice, esp. with the thanksgiving flight chaos looming...oh they'd be coming from an ipod>SR71...thanks!!

Nov 16, 2004 at 4:00 PM Post #4 of 17
Yep (see my post above). I have owned these before when I didn't have an amp, and now that I have one (a Super Mini Moy), they sound much nicer. Not as thin sounding on the high end as when they were unamped, and things just sound clearer now-- you can hear that deep low end much easier now. Overall, less fatiguing to listen to than when unamped..

Nov 16, 2004 at 4:20 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by appar111
Yep (see my post above).

sorry about that, i guess i missed that...that's good news though, these seem like a great second choice for isolation!!

Nov 16, 2004 at 4:33 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Yep (see my post above). I have owned these before when I didn't have an amp, and now that I have one (a Super Mini Moy), they sound much nicer. Not as thin sounding on the high end as when they were unamped, and things just sound clearer now-- you can hear that deep low end much easier now. Overall, less fatiguing to listen to than when unamped..

ARGH! A pox on you! Now I'll have to get an amp.
280smile.gif
How much was your amp?

Nov 16, 2004 at 5:25 PM Post #8 of 17
thewy run around $95 shipped from Drewd here on the boards-- great, tiny Hammond metal casing, good battery life, great sound and outstanding customer service from Drew. Highly recommended. Check out Shellbrooklab.com (his web site).

Nov 16, 2004 at 9:44 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

thewy run around $95 shipped from Drewd here on the boards-- great, tiny Hammond metal casing, good battery life, great sound and outstanding customer service from Drew. Highly recommended. Check out Shellbrooklab.com (his web site).

Great, thanks. Somehow I get the feeling, though, that the "95$ including shipping" might not include shipping to Finland. I don't see any mention of international orders. Still, if he is willing to ship overseas, I expect it wouldn't be that much more expensive as long as the package is light.

I've had the 280pros for a few days now, and the bass feels a bit too weak on my unamped mp3 player. From what you're saying, it sounds like a good amp might be just what I'm looking for.

Nov 16, 2004 at 10:31 PM Post #11 of 17
Check with Drewd, I'm sure he would be willing to work with you on the shipping to Finland.

The bass on the HD280's may always sound a bit weak to you, mainly because it's not that punchy mid-bass, but rather the low bass that you feel more than hear. I like it as an alternative to the DT770/80 when I want to hear through the music a little more, for a cleaner sound. Honestly though, on my receiver jack, with everything on flat, they sound quite good-- plenty of bass for me. The trick is the seal of the pads-- when you put them on your head, make sure they're a notch or two looser then you might normally wear your cans (you might have to wear them this way until they're broken in, as the HD280's have quite a vice grip at first!). Then tilt the pads a little more towards the area behind your ear (the cups naturally will swivel out this way). By doing so, it seals around your head better-- cupping your ear a little bit more and getting a better seal. I've found this helps alot. Also, the softer the pads get, the easier they seal on your head.

I thought the same thing as you on unamped portable equipment, and a decent amp will get you a fuller sound at the same volume, not to mention alot more overall volume to play with.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kryft
Great, thanks. Somehow I get the feeling, though, that the "95$ including shipping" might not include shipping to Finland. I don't see any mention of international orders. Still, if he is willing to ship overseas, I expect it wouldn't be that much more expensive as long as the package is light.

I've had the 280pros for a few days now, and the bass feels a bit too weak on my unamped mp3 player. From what you're saying, it sounds like a good amp might be just what I'm looking for.

Nov 17, 2004 at 2:26 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by 450
www.etronics.com has it that price.

I've got them for sale for $65 shipped! (1 week old, virtually brand new). Shameless plug, I know... but I need to scrape up some extra cash...
280smile.gif

Nov 17, 2004 at 4:51 PM Post #14 of 17
They should-- I've never had a problem with pricematching at GC.

Nov 17, 2004 at 5:45 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

They should-- I've never had a problem with pricematching at GC.

I'm kind of pissed at Guitar Center. They charged me $89.99 + tax for my HD280pro's. What do I do? Take them back or go and tell them that they are selling for $69.99 at Etronics?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back