Senn HD25 SP vs Koss PORTAPRO
Jan 25, 2009 at 6:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

rubba

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I'm looking for the best portable headphone on the market. Right now I have the Portapro which has a good sound. What I like about it is the warm bass and the warm minds (I love it when I hear a full bassdrum and a present rhodespiano ...). The high's are a little bit less and the soundstage could be better ...
Will I find the same bass and warm mids in the HD25? I would like to upgrade for better isolation without loosing the warm sound of the Portapro.

note: for usage with ipod

many thanks,

Rubba J
Belgium

Jan 25, 2009 at 6:26 AM Post #2 of 4
well HD25 is quite flat across the frequency range; I like my re-cables koss KSC75, but I would never describe them like that

Jan 25, 2009 at 8:18 AM Post #3 of 4
I have both ths hd25 sp and portapros. since most people are familiar with the koss sound I'll describe a comparison if the hd25 sp with the portapro. When I first recieved my hd25sp they sounded horrible and muddy after some burn in they were less muddy but still not as good as the portapro. The stock sound of the hd25 sp can be described as overwhelming mid sloppy bass that muddies the rest of the spectrum.

After awhile I decided to stuff some cotton behind the felt ring already present behind the hd25 sp. The improvements were good the bass and the rest of the spectrum tighten up. I believe that if I were to try different dampening they would have probably gotten better. The hd25sp seem to be more detailed than the portapro with a better treb extension but still kinda lacking in bass extension.

After replacing the wire that of one from an hd580(temporarily still like to use my hd580 cable with my hd580) The treble and bass extension seem to blow the portapro away. Also the copper cable makes the sp easier to drive.

The hd25 sp has a flatter sound but portapro is still a better headphone because the hd25 sp are hard to drive and but sometimes prefer it to the v6 since it has better isolation and midrange.

Jan 25, 2009 at 9:46 AM Post #4 of 4
Nagasaki Kid,

Thanks for the info. It seems that it's not an easy thask to find a perfect headphone. Isolation is important (HD25), but as i hear from your description I'm gonna loose the great sound of Portapro ... Sound is still more important than isolation. It looks like I still haven't found the perfect headphone (= good sound + isolation). Would you have any suggestion?

thnx
Rubba J

Users who are viewing this thread

Back