Senn. HD25, HD555...what next?
Oct 14, 2009 at 9:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

axe

New Head-Fier
So I recently added the Senn´s HD25 and the HD555 to my collection. These are my first impressions.

HD25-1II
SQ: Balanced, almost analytical with very good high´s and mid´s and punchy low´s. Small soundstage and overall not as spacious as I´d want.
Comfort: Very comfortable unless you have a huge head. Velour pads an improvement over pleather. On ear can get a bit sweaty. Headband is light and unobtrusive and can be split to clamp tightly. Overall, industrial design, light and robust and can take heavy wear.

HD555
SQ: Mellow but engaging. Tight high´s and efficient mid´s with slightly muddy low´s. Spacious or airy soundstage, overall smooth but still not terribly exciting.
Comfort: Fit naturally over ears with light, unnoticeable velour pads. Headband is chunky but not too heavy and sits comfortably. Overall, nice design, excellent finish and considerably robust.

The 555´s are still burning in so my impressions might change along the way. They are both excellent but I find the HD25 to be more about the enjoyment of listening/analyzing music, finding myself spending more time observing the details through it´s crisp sound, rather than the overall experience. I also find the sound slightly confined but it´s a trade off for the overall quality. The HD555 perhaps are similar to previous headphones I´ve owned, and although not as detailed as the 25, they are more spacious and engaging thus offering a livelier, less clinical, experience.

Ideally I´d like to find something on the same lines as the HD555, with an equally large soundstage but brighter/aggressive yet sufficiently detailed without being too overpowering. Over ear and open is preferable, and within a $250 budget price. I want something that will really make me "feel" the music (Electronic, Pop, R&B, Dance, Rock).

Any suggestions?

Oct 14, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #2 of 11
I just got the hd580 for home use and I have the HD25 for when I go out. It does feel like a nice upgrade, but you do need a good amp for them.

Oct 14, 2009 at 11:30 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Force /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you looking for Sennheisers only?

- Force

Not at all. I appreciate the Sennheiser signature I´m perceiving in both but I need something much livelier/exciting. I´d settle for the excellent HD25 but the smaller soundstage has become an issue for everyday use. The HD555 is fine but I need..... MORE.
o2smile.gif

I´m swimming in a sea of options and I need some direction before considering my next step. Grado´s? AKG´s?

Oct 14, 2009 at 11:42 PM Post #7 of 11
Nah, man.... I´ve already spent $350+ buying the 2 headphones. I´m willing to have a last dabble as if I let the 25´s go I already got a buyer frothing at the mouth...
biggrin.gif

I know the larger steps have the largest rewards... well, most of the time, but there must be something else out there that best suits my needs.

Oct 14, 2009 at 11:43 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by loopfreak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the soundstage is issue than try with akg 701/702, but you allready know you need an amp !
Own akg 702 but still love my hd 25 1 !

Looking into them.....

Oct 14, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by axe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nah, man.... I´ve already spent $350+ buying the 2 headphones. I´m willing to have a last dabble as if I let the 25´s go I already got a buyer frothing at the mouth...
biggrin.gif

I know the larger steps have the largest rewards... well, most of the time, but there must be something else out there that best suits my needs.

Sell the phones you have now and get the Stax.

You can thank me later.

Oct 16, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sell the phones you have now and get the Stax.

You can thank me later.

Maybe in the future. For now my budget is limited.

I managed to finally try a set of Grado´s and I´m very glad to say I found the sound I was looking for!!
L3000.gif
I tested the sr125, sr225i and sr325i. I noticed incremental differences/improvements over that range but they all sounded powerful tbh. I´m doubting over the 125 or 225i as the 325 is more than what I´m willing to spend right now. They didn´t have the 125i but the salesman said there really wasn´t any difference between the 2 versions of the 125... I think I recall reading differently here on HF.
confused.gif
I´ve got to admit the build quality looked a bit shody but the damn little cans have something, strangely, very appealing about them. Even the minimalistic packaging is sexy in a weird almost wrong way.
biggrin.gif

I liked the soft pads of the 125 more than the bowls of the 225. Is it possible to use them on the 225? I´m going to think it over, but which of the 2 Grados would you guys chose??

Oct 18, 2009 at 1:50 PM Post #11 of 11
Well, I´m glad to say the 225i is now a member of my household and I´m currently introducing them to my music collection.
beerchug.gif
So far they are getting along like a house on fire..... especially as they get a bit of burn-in. I think it´s safe to say I have now found what I was looking for and if it wasn´t for this forum I´d still be flying around like a bat, blindly buying sub par headphones.

Thanks for that and for the introduction into the vile sport of wallet-emptying.
biggrin.gif
Now I can look forward to musical bliss and my girlfriend nagging me about my expensive hobbies!
atsmile.gif
angry_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back