Senn HD-800S Help me choose a full size amp
Nov 19, 2019 at 8:20 PM Post #46 of 61
While I never cared for the HDVD-800 with them the 820 isn’t half bad.

Nov 19, 2019 at 8:54 PM Post #47 of 61
I do seem to be getting a lot of messages recommending separates. Particularly because the DAC in the HDV-820 isn't the best? I've had a few recommend getting the HDVA-600 instead and then get a separate DAC. I'm not opposed to separates since this is a stay-at-home setup anyway. Still, for someone that is just starting out and having never heard quality equipment, I'm not sure it would matter to my ears whether I was listening to an all-in-one vs separates. I live in So Cal but here in Riverside County, I haven't really found any place nearby that offers audiophile equipment to try out. I'm so jealous of those of you who have that luxury!

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2019 at 9:05 PM Post #48 of 61
15742061362044312189659299120811.jpg I just bought the Icon HP8 MK2 for my 800 and S, and they are and incredible combo.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2019 at 9:19 PM Post #49 of 61
I live in So Cal but here in Riverside County, I haven't really found any place nearby that offers audiophile equipment to try out. I'm so jealous of those of you who have that luxury!

Wow, no one has even bothered to ask about this? Man, you guys are the worst! :wink:

OP, at least find five minutes of your time to call these guys:

https://www.thesourceav.com/

Nov 21, 2019 at 12:22 AM Post #50 of 61
Burson has offered to let me try out there C3 Reference while they are still building the C3X. Apparently one difference (maybe the only difference) is that the original Conductor 3 is not a balanced output. Here is what I need some help with. My Senn HD800 S arrived a couple of days ago. I have a limited time to try them out. I want to use them with the Conductor 3. Alex over at Burson recommends I forgo the supplied Senn cables and go with something shorter and shielded. Can someone make a suggestion for a cable to connect the Conductor 3 to the HD800 S? I'm thinking about a length of maybe 5 feet. All suggestions welcomed.

Nov 21, 2019 at 1:37 AM Post #51 of 61
Burson has offered to let me try out there C3 Reference while they are still building the C3X. Apparently one difference (maybe the only difference) is that the original Conductor 3 is not a balanced output. Here is what I need some help with. My Senn HD800 S arrived a couple of days ago. I have a limited time to try them out. I want to use them with the Conductor 3. Alex over at Burson recommends I forgo the supplied Senn cables and go with something shorter and shielded. Can someone make a suggestion for a cable to connect the Conductor 3 to the HD800 S? I'm thinking about a length of maybe 5 feet. All suggestions welcomed.

I recommend waiting for the Burson Conductor C3X for the balanced out, especially now that you have the HD800S. BTW, I think Alex at Burson meant to get something like this:

https://www.moon-audio.com/black-dragon-cable-sennheiser-hd800-headphones.html

Nov 21, 2019 at 2:01 AM Post #52 of 61
OP, at least find five minutes of your time to call these guys:

https://www.thesourceav.com/

I heartily second this, OP. I live in the SFV and traveled to The Source AV this past summer to test out equipment and headphones for an upgrade. I was most interested in the ZMF dynamics (which I believe they now no longer carry, sadly) and after a couple of hours ended up walking away with an HD800S, completely against my original expectations. They have a large variety of headphones, amps, and sources to choose from. I listened to a $30K electrostatic setup and thought it was nice but nowhere near worth the price jump; maybe after I become a multi-millionaire.

This will be a good opportunity for you to not only test out what you like on your new Sennheisers but also to explore and discover your own preferences. The staff were very friendly and responsive to any questions I had and weren't pushy in the least. It's a bit of a drive from Riverside but you could make a Saturday of it and potentially save yourself many hours and dollars of frustration in the process.

After all, the only person who knows exactly what you want and what will be most pleasing to your own ears is you.

Nov 23, 2019 at 2:58 AM Post #53 of 61
I recommend waiting for the Burson Conductor C3X for the balanced out, especially now that you have the HD800S. BTW, I think Alex at Burson meant to get something like this:

https://www.moon-audio.com/black-dragon-cable-sennheiser-hd800-headphones.html

That may be for the C3X but he is sending me a regular Conductor 3 until the C3X are ready to ship. I realize the HD-800 S comes with some basic cables but was wondering if that is good enough for now while I am using the C3.

Nov 28, 2019 at 5:23 AM Post #58 of 61
Ive learned a lot already in the short time I’ve been scouring the threads for info. This thread alone has helped Immensely. So far I have the HD-800 S. I also have a loaner Burson 3 while I wait for the C3X in December. For now I’m just using a MacBook Pro to play/stream Tidal. It’s been awesome so far. Along with the new Burson C3X, I ordered the Audeze LCD3. Here is what I still need. Balanced cables. I don’t know anything about balanced cables. All I know is that the new C3X will have balanced output and Alex from Burson recommended I get some. I have no idea where to start. One person did post some balanced cables here in this thread that I think were $400. Does this price sound right? Eventually I will probably get a DAP as well but I see no hurry. I only listen at home so portability isn’t a requirement. Any help or suggestions on cables or info on cables would be appreciated. Thanks.

Nov 28, 2019 at 6:19 AM Post #59 of 61
One person did post some balanced cables here in this thread that I think were $400. Does this price sound right?

In my personal opinion, no.
You don’t have to spend so much money for balanced cables.
It's debatable if you could hear a difference between a decent but compareable cheap cable for e.g.$50 and a high end cable which costs $500 or more. There were blind tests made and many people coudn't hear any difference, a very few claimed they could hear a difference but it was very very minor.

My personal suggestion is to start with a compareable cheap cable of your favorite brand.
If you want something decent that doesn't cost a fortune, get a Mogami cable e.g. the Mogami Gold Studio.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2019 at 9:17 PM Post #60 of 61
Ive learned a lot already in the short time I’ve been scouring the threads for info. This thread alone has helped Immensely. So far I have the HD-800 S. I also have a loaner Burson 3 while I wait for the C3X in December. For now I’m just using a MacBook Pro to play/stream Tidal. It’s been awesome so far. Along with the new Burson C3X, I ordered the Audeze LCD3. Here is what I still need. Balanced cables. I don’t know anything about balanced cables. All I know is that the new C3X will have balanced output and Alex from Burson recommended I get some. I have no idea where to start. One person did post some balanced cables here in this thread that I think were $400. Does this price sound right? Eventually I will probably get a DAP as well but I see no hurry. I only listen at home so portability isn’t a requirement. Any help or suggestions on cables or info on cables would be appreciated. Thanks.

I just referenced the $400 Moon Audio Cables because the guy at Burson recommended them. The stock 1/4” and XLR cables for the HD800S are fine and the XLR cables that Audeze sells on their site for their LCD-3 will work fine as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back