Senn HD-650 Comfort
Mar 19, 2007 at 10:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Musiq

New Head-Fier
I love the sound of my new 650s, but find them a bit uncomfortable to wear. The bottom edge of the cups seems to be too tight, pressing into the back of my jaw area. If it was a cheap headset, I'd bend open the headband spring a bit, but I'm loathe to do that on the 650s...Any advice (short of removing the foam pads)?

Mar 19, 2007 at 10:22 PM Post #2 of 10
whatever you do, don't grab the cups and bend outward (as that can snap the plastic part of the headband). Instead, you can either bend the metal bands, or you can keep the headphones open over a box or computer case when you're not listening to them. I found their clamping force wasn't as bad as a new HD595, so I didn't have much problems waring them in.

Mar 19, 2007 at 10:48 PM Post #3 of 10
I never really had a problem with tightness but it definitely loosens up after breaking in... and it's still the most comfortable headphones I own.

Mar 19, 2007 at 11:05 PM Post #4 of 10
The 650 clamp was really bad for me, I could feel my pulse behind my ears when I first got them. If you decide to put them over a comp box, I reccomend putting them over a text book with a pillow on each side. By doing this you will save your earpads. Putting them around a box will flatten the earpads alot faster than they should.

Mar 19, 2007 at 11:26 PM Post #5 of 10
Davesrose is absolutely right: don't stretch the plastic headband, because it may well snap. (Voice of experience speaking. Eh-hem.)

Mar 19, 2007 at 11:42 PM Post #7 of 10
My HD600s COULD be a little more comfortable at that! I'm taking my time giving the cans and me time to kinda learn to live with each other in a friendly manner.....before I get tough!
mad.gif

Nah; I guess we are slowly coming to a relatively friendly accord. It's just taking a bit, but if it works; it'll be worth it.

Mar 20, 2007 at 12:15 AM Post #8 of 10
I think the HD650's are very comfy. The only problem I have is that it's permanently over 26 degrees C here and the moment I put on the 650 outside an airconditioned room I start to sweat like crazy. It's like wearing earmuffs in a sauna. I'm afraid that the salt will spoil the earpads or worse the drivers.
blink.gif

Mar 20, 2007 at 12:23 AM Post #9 of 10
Also, you could always just let the clamp clamp your head for 2 weeks like I did. If you have long enough hair, you will get extreme headphone hair (the massive cup circles around your ears, so bad that it takes 3 hrs to re-flatten). Those were the good times...

Mar 20, 2007 at 12:24 AM Post #10 of 10
I'll try the pillow/book/box technique and see how it goes.

I never thought of myself as a fathead before! I must be getting jowls in my old age. We'll need a new smiley-face for fatheads.

So I guess it's a question of breaking in the diaphragms, the headband, and my head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back