Senn HD-600 and X-Can V3
Dec 16, 2003 at 5:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Peterg2

Head-Fier
Here is my quandary and I hope someone can answer this in the next 4 hours or so as Rhinocables.net have an order on hold for me and I promised them I would make my decision in time for their opening tomorrow morning.

I have currently my Xcan V3 alongside me on the side table. My receiver and TV is about 10 feet in front of me and the hookup to the X-Can V3 is via roughly 23 or so feet via some quite mediocre interconnects to the pre-outs on my receiver (I am using digital sources like my DVD player/CD player and my digital cable box).

I decided to get some good quality interconnects from rhinocables.net since I had chosen to go with Belden 89259 and Vampire RCA connectors (much better than I have now).

But I coincidentally I still have a Grado 15' extension cable and with my 10' on the Sennheiser HD-600 I am fine for distance if I want it to be unobtrusive (goes from receiver to end wall, travels down another wall to me).

Here is my choice and which do you think is better - forget the expense involved.

I was intending to go with the X-Can V3 with 7 metres or so of the 89259 directly to my receiver pre-outs.

But I can see now that I can place the X-Can V3 alongside my receiver and hook it to the pre-outs with say a 1 metre cable. I can then plug the Grado Extension cord into the headphone jack of the X-Can and then run it to its full length whereupon I plug my Sennheiser's cable into the female jack of the Grado Extension cable.

So, just in terms of sound quality which should be better? I have to make a choice now. Would you prefer a long line level of say 7 metres from the X-Can to the pre-outs on the receiver and then just plug in the Sennheiser cable into the X-Can or would you prefer using say 5 metres of Grado Extension cable and then plugging the Sennheiser cable into the Grado. For volume control I have both the receiver and the X-Can and depending on the choice I would set the one at a fixed level and use the other (either the receiver or the X-can to control the volume).

Cost is not a factor in this case and all I want to use is the better of the two alternatives. I won't go to the extent of buying the short 1 metre Belden cable and then later on decide to try the 7 metre belden cable and forego the Grado Extension (which I have already).

All replies most appreciated.

Peter

Dec 16, 2003 at 5:33 AM Post #2 of 3
I think it would be better to keep the IC short. A long IC is asking for extra RFI etc..

The only exception might be if you were later going for a fancy upgrade replacement cable for the 600s, then you might not want an extension upstream (unless it were the same wire!).

Dec 16, 2003 at 5:51 AM Post #3 of 3
Thanks for the reply.

The only question I have in my mind is that I know the Belden 89259 is an excellent cable when it comes to RFI resistance etc and is very good for sound quality as a line level cable. I really do not know if the Grado Extension cable is very good or mediocre (Grado say it is the same wire as they use on their headphones). What I am doing with the short interconnect but using the Grado extension cable is that I am inserting another connection into the chain - 3 as opposed to 2. I am also matching up a standard Sennheiser HD-600 cable (which is deemed so-so) to another headphone cable of different characteristics via a connector.

This does not sound great to me.

I suppose I will miss having the very attractive X-Can V3 alongside me (as opposed to being alongside the receiver) with its very nice analog volume control but that is not crucial at all.

Peter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back