Senn HD-580 vs. Ety ER-4s ...Which to keep?
Jun 16, 2002 at 9:38 AM Post #16 of 25
I wouldn't worry Duncan. The 580s and the 4Ps don't sound alike at all to me. And when you go with Etymotics, you're pretty much guaranteed to be in safe hands, if they fit you well. I'd personally take the Etys myself over any other headphone below $500.

Jun 16, 2002 at 4:39 PM Post #17 of 25
Guys,
I'm giving the Senn 580 a really good workout right now. I love the sound quality. It such a smooth operator. Love the crystal high, tight bass, and super low noise floor. I found out that the Senn are made in mind with my older discmans. Yesterday, I recieved Sony D-515(very hard to find) discman. I immidiately pair them together...and ola!!! The results stunn me. Cool... Senn 580 + Creek OBH-11 +Sony D-515 (sound nearly the same as my beloved D-303) present a good setup for me.
I also found out that the Creek OBH-11 hates my Grado, but really love my senn. It like the creek was design for my 580 in mind, while the grado sr-80 only improve very marginally. The v6 also benefit from the creek as well, since all the harshness seem to polish..and sound a little less bright. I'm waiting for the Ety tomorrow...I can't wait any longer!!! Headfi.com/Headwize.com is really bad for my wallet....
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 16, 2002 at 6:30 PM Post #18 of 25
Here's an Article right up your alley:

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazin...honesurvey.htm

BTW, I got the Ety 4P's on Ebay for a reasonable discount.

The convience factor is EVERYTHING for me...for jogging....and for the late nights when I want to crank my tunes without disturbing my sleeping wife or nasty apartment neighbors (who are a pain at ALL times of the day). Plus the quality is HIGH audiophile!

What more could I ask for?
biggrin.gif

Jun 16, 2002 at 9:24 PM Post #19 of 25
TheeeChosenOne,
Thanks for a very imformative review. I think I'll judge the them myself. I really like the way my Senn 580 sound with my Sony D-515 (1992). However, I furthure my judgement by tomorrow with the arriving of the ER4s. I'm sure that I'll pick one and sell another. Thanks for all the input. Or...maybe I'll make a trade with 4s to 4P. Thanks again.

Jun 19, 2002 at 3:43 AM Post #20 of 25
Guys,
I recieved the Ety 4s. Love the way it sound, but I think it hurting my ears. I may sell the ety and keep the Senn, since I really love the way the senn 580 sound with my combo. I love the smooth and liquid sound. I also love the bass on 580. I'm not a big fan of accurate music. I agree with all of you that the 4s is excellent. The two cans sound totally different than one another. Thanks for everything.
Purk

Jun 19, 2002 at 11:28 AM Post #21 of 25
I found my Etys only slightly uncomfortable the first few times I used them, but I'm really starting to get used to them.
wink.gif

Jun 19, 2002 at 5:40 PM Post #22 of 25
Actually it's QUITE normal to feel disomfort with any foreign object placed in your ears.

But after a while, your ears adapt. The foams they provide are quite comfortable.

To me, the ETYs did not feel uncomfortable since I'm used to wearing sound blockers when I go to concerts

Jun 20, 2002 at 3:16 AM Post #23 of 25
which of the eartip sounds better of the two? Thanks...It is very tough for me to try getting the foam tip into my canal. thanks.

Jun 20, 2002 at 3:57 AM Post #24 of 25
Well, if you're a small person and you've tried to work with both adaptors, and still both hurt after several days....then there's really nothing that can be done.

I'm 6'3" so I have no problem with my large ear canals.

I would then suggest to you, to contact Ety directly and ask if they have smaller adaptors for you. I DO KNOW that you can buy replacements, but since they specialize in hearing aid type equipment, they may have something right up your alley.

Hope this helps!

Jun 20, 2002 at 9:47 AM Post #25 of 25
ER4S

I hated them the first few times I put them in, cursed all you lunatics, and practically threw them away.
Each successive time I tried them made a difference. Now they are my favorite.
I am CONVINCED that the brain does very strange things with sound. After all: as your eyes adjust to light, so do your ears adjust to sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back