Senn HD 280 recable?
Jun 23, 2008 at 7:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

alwayshungry

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all, I'm new sorta new to cans but I've been bitten by the bug after recently getting into a tube amp system and cans are the next step in the downward spiral for my wallet.
Anyways, I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 280 Pros that I've had for a number of years. It appears as though the wire connecting the left and right phone got caught internally and went out as I was adjusting the headband and the right side no longer puts out any sound. I took the unit apart and checked the connection points on the left and right side and confirmed that the wire connecting the 2 seems to be damaged internally. It looks like a 18-22 ga shielded 2 conductor wire. Does anyone have a suggestion on what to replace this with? Also while the unit is apart does anyone have any experience recabling the hd280 pros that is worthwhile? I'll be upgrading (hopefully sooner than later) but this set is great for work and I'd like to fix them.
Thanks for any input.

Jun 24, 2008 at 6:26 PM Post #3 of 4
Although I have not worked on a 280, I'll give you generic advise:

1. If you do not have a lot of solder experience, then I would do some practicing before you tackle this. Too much heat can damage the drivers.

2. A decent, inexpensive wire to use is a simple mini-mogami wire. It is available from redco audio.

3. Take your time, and be careful! It's not too hard of a task.

Oct 4, 2010 at 3:25 AM Post #4 of 4
Hi alwayshungry... Sorry for opening up a 2 year old thread... I am trying to recable my 280...
But I cant figure out how to open the left driver... Any suggestion on how to open the unit... as you mention you have took it apart...

Thanks...

Quote:
I took the unit apart and checked the connection points on the left and right side and confirmed that the wire connecting the 2 seems to be damaged internally. It looks like a 18-22 ga shielded 2 conductor wire. Does anyone have a suggestion on what to replace this with? Also while the unit is apart does anyone have any experience recabling the hd280 pros that is worthwhile? I'll be upgrading (hopefully sooner than later) but this set is great for work and I'd like to fix them.
Thanks for any input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back