Senn HD 25 or B&W P5? Please advise...
Oct 20, 2011 at 3:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

JohnFrank

New Head-Fier
Hi,
I need advice on choosing headphones. I want these headphones - Sennheiser HD 25 or Bowers&Wilkins P5. I will be use these headphones at home with Macbook + DAC/AMP Audinst HUD-mx1 and at outside with iPhone + Fiio E11.

Please advise, and tell me your experiences...

Thank you very much

Oct 20, 2011 at 5:34 AM Post #2 of 49
HD25!

Although the P5 is stunningly beautiful it is simply not a very good sounding headphone, and not that comfortable also. I don't know if you've seen them in real life, but they are a lot smaller than you would expect looking at pictures.

I have both headphones at my disposal and find myself always accompanied by the HD25, simply because it is better on sound, comfort and durability.

and with your setup i think you will get the most out of the senns and the B&W will always remain so-and-so.

But this is just my opinion, see if you can arrange to listen to them both.

Oct 20, 2011 at 1:36 PM Post #4 of 49
Well, you tried them both, so which did you prefer? The HD25 should've sounded a lot more neutral to your ears than the more bass oriented P5. It's a matter of taste. Technically the HD25 is the better headphone, but if you prefer the warmer sound of the P5 you should just go with those.

Oct 20, 2011 at 2:14 PM Post #6 of 49

I prefer maybe HD 25, but P5 are also great. I don't know, really. This is a reason why I opened this topic.
It is so 51% for Senn and 49% for P5... And I like a bass, but I think a HD 25 has strong bass, same like a P5. It is very difficult making decision, but very pleasant making decision.

Thumbs down for P5 is very expensive cable replacement and higher price.
Thumbs up for P5 is a luxury design, excelent treatment and materials (leather, glossy aluminium) and of course pure sound.

Thumbs up for HD 25 is really professionally and pure sound, unbreakable construction and relatively wide choice cable replacement.
Thumbs down... i don't mind anything. Maybe, worst design materials then a P5, but I heard they are almost unbreakable. 

This is really very difficult making decision... I want both of them:-D

Oct 20, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #7 of 49
Personally, i didn't much appreciate my P5's. They got sold. To me, they sounded boring. They worked for rock like SoaD and the like, but otherwise i didn't like their sound. The cable was a bit of a scare too. 

But they were gorgeous and felt really good. 

You could give the TMA-1's a go too. They're my favorite cans right now. A bit on the bassier side. 

Oct 20, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #8 of 49
Have you tried the HD25 I II? they have a tight bass response, and solid built. 

Oct 20, 2011 at 4:50 PM Post #10 of 49
I've had the P5 for almost a year. Amazing set of portables. Not only do they look good but they started sounding good as well after 3-4 months

With my drivers fully warmed up to the task and the foam earpads also slightly stiffened up, the sound really changed alot. It now is a little sparkly at the treble, with hints of sibilence in some tracks, what within the first 3 months it did not have. It was frustrating for the first 2 months or so where I consistently battle the temptation to sell the P5 for something better. It has since become my undisputed lover (until..  well..  later today, where the Ultrasone Ed8 come in). I've thus sold every other earphone/headphone I have except the P5 which I am very very..  undecided about letting go. And the GR07 which I will use as my IEM of choice.

The slightly dark and muddy feeling about it also is lifted off slightly, and its more warm/sweet sounding than muddy. The bass extension never improved however, and is slightly shy at the sub-bass department, where it rolls off quickly. But this requires an investment of love and time. The leather of the P5 also yearns more tender love and care compared to the HD25s. I do condition and buff the leather every 3-4 weeks or so.

It would also be easier if the p5 would be the only headphone you use constantly, coz then for the first few months there is nothing to compare to that can make its early weaknesses more evident. I used to own a million headphones so their traits are slightly more obvious to me but I held on!!

Most P5 bashers are those that have not spend enough time with them, like those who tried them in store, or those who sold them off within 1-2 months of purchase. If you read into several threads you'll find that those who held onto the p5 for a longer period of time truely appreciates them.

Comparatively, the HD25-1-II's are slightly more unassuming, taking the neutral path with a lighter body in its sound (compared to the meatier, warm P5). Great replaceable parts and indestructable.

Other portables to try are the ATH ESW9, which I think sounds equal to the HD 25 I II cept they look better!!

And the Beyer DT1350, which IMHO is probably the only portable sub 400 headphones that actually beat the B&W p5 in sound. They look horrible when worn on your ears.. 

Edit: Loving how my last post as a 100+ member is about my beloved p5...  and now i'll make my first 500+ post about the Edition 8 :p

Oct 20, 2011 at 5:09 PM Post #11 of 49
The P5 are not a really good set of cans. I wouldn't pay 50usd for them or even listen to them would I receive them for free. Gave them many albums a listen (many lunchtimes at work). Isolate great though. For that price, however, a headphone 'should' be able to distinguish bass-notes, have good timbre accuracy, play cymbals (actually anything) as they mattered... I now say 'should', because I've been listening to the KRK KNS8400 for some time now and for the price the HD25-1 (or SRH840) don't come even close. The P5 doesn't do any of these things properly. No disrespect to anyone who likes them.
But I dare to say that anyone who does like them, might prioritize a preferred sound over musical accuracy. 

The ESW9 is not a bad headphone. The ESW10JPN clearly beats the HD25-1's, in being able to dig out more musical information. Sound preference is completely different and making a decision based on someone else's preferences might prove either a good or a bad move.

I'd throw in K271/272 (very comfortable) as well. My favorite of the sub 400usd closed headphones until the 8400. 

Oct 20, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #12 of 49
Personally, i didn't much appreciate my P5's. They got sold. To me, they sounded boring. They worked for rock like SoaD and the like, but otherwise i didn't like their sound. The cable was a bit of a scare too.

But they were gorgeous and felt really good.

You could give the TMA-1's a go too. They're my favorite cans right now. A bit on the bassier side.

Definitely consider the AIAIAI TMA-1's. I love mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 20, 2011 at 5:30 PM Post #13 of 49
Thank you for your experiences. I tried these Beyerdynamic but I did hear no bass and I love a bass. Unfortunately, but beyer I don't want. And other headphones I don't want try already. I want to select only HD 25 or B&W P5. Already now is choosing very difficult. But I still don't know.

Oct 20, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #14 of 49

Quote:
Thank you for your experiences. I tried these Beyerdynamic but I did hear no bass and I love a bass. Unfortunately, but beyer I don't want. And other headphones I don't want try already. I want to select only HD 25 or B&W P5. Already now is choosing very difficult. But I still don't know.

Looks vs sound quality. You choose. 
The P5's looks really good, i have to admit...

Oct 20, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #15 of 49
You have the ability to try them out, and you already did. If you're still unsure, go try them again. No two people's ears are the same. Subjective impressions are only useful if you're going in blind, unable to try them. You'll need to make a decision yourself, because you'll be the one listening to what you choose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back