senn H518 and xonar essence stx
Feb 1, 2012 at 3:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

doomgnu

New Head-Fier

hey im new to this forum,

i have read a lot treads but havent found an satisfactory answer to may dilemma.

i have bought the HD 518 headphones. i am now listening to them whit only my phone which is a Galaxy S. i know that my phone has a wolfoson audiochip  and i am also using voodoo sound to get more gain out off it. so i get more volume that i would need.

my dilemma is: should buy the xonar essence stx. i read that this is a great sound card whit a dedicated headphone amp. but i am not sure if it will make that big of a difference. because my phone has already decent SQ and my phones aren’t that great either if compared to other expensive high end HP. i am confused because sometimes i read people say that the essence stx is overkill for HP like HD 518/ 558/ 559(which have the same impedance rating) but on the other hand it cant drive  HP like HD 600/650 properly

what do you guys think is it worth the cash?

Feb 1, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #2 of 5
It will make a HUGE difference.  Galaxy S with Voodoo Controlproduces decent sound for being a phone, but compared to a dedicated sound card, especially arguably the best of all dedicated sound cards, its literally a joke.  Also, HD518 can use a headphones amplifier, it has a nasty 250 Ohm impedance spike in bass to low-mids area, so amp should fix that.  
STX has a very good DAC and amp, both comparable in performance to stand-alone DAC's and amps that cost the same or more than the entire soundcard,  and it can run almost any headphone, including HD650's (runs to insane loudness at 50% of volume at highest gain, without any distortion), so you're safe for a long time in case you buy better headphones.

Feb 1, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #4 of 5

Quote:
Hey I'm new to this forum,
I have read a lot treads but havent found an satisfactory answer to may dilemma.
I have bought the HD 518 headphones. i am now listening to them whit only my phone which is a Galaxy S. i know that my phone has a wolfoson audiochip  and i am also using voodoo sound to get more gain out off it. so i get more volume that i would need.
my dilemma is: should buy the xonar essence stx. i read that this is a great sound card whit a dedicated headphone amp. but i am not sure if it will make that big of a difference. because my phone has already decent SQ and my phones aren’t that great either if compared to other expensive high end HP. i am confused because sometimes i read people say that the essence stx is overkill for HP like HD 518/ 558/ 559(which have the same impedance rating) but on the other hand it cant drive  HP like HD 600/650 properly, what do you guys think is it worth the cash?

The HD-518, HD-588, HD-598 are all 50-Ohm, but do not drive the same.
The HD-518 was designed/intended more for use with unamped headphone jacks, then the HD-558 or HD598.
The HD-558 & HD-598 would improve more with a headphone amplifier, then what the HD-518 would.
The Essence STX should work just fine with the HD-518, but it is overkill.
You can get a cmoy portable headphone amplifier off eBay, prices from $30 to $100
Some of the cmoy use a rechargeable battery.

Feb 2, 2012 at 6:58 PM Post #5 of 5

Quote:
the bass on the hd 518 is alredy great.

can't imagine it could be that greater of a difference whit that sound card?

The ST/STX has amphasized bass.

Quote:
The Essence STX should work just fine with the HD-518, but it is overkill.

Its true for the HD518 but its still better than a smartphone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back