Senn cable build questions
Jan 12, 2006 at 6:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Lightnin Joe

Head-Fier
No sticky for HP cable builds?
580smile.gif
Anyhoo, I have a couple of questions:

1) Is it easier to buy pre-braided 4-conductor silver/teflon wire or to braid it yourself from bulk s/t? I'm thinking when you de-braid to split to 2 2-conductore pairs the pairs would be a little messed up from the braiding. Yes? No?

2) Do I simply twist the 2-conductor pairs?

3) Do I cover the 4-wire braid with multifilament flex or ? How about the 2-conductor pairs?

4) I did find some posts about how to scavenge the Senny connectors. But I also saw (man I wish I bookmarked the page, I can't find it for the life of me now) on the Cardas website that they were planning to sell Senny connectors at some future date. Anybody else see that?

Thank you folks!

Jan 14, 2006 at 2:00 AM Post #3 of 6
1. Depends on how bored you are
smily_headphones1.gif

2. Either that or lits braid all 4 conductors to the Y split, and then twist. That said headphones aren't that suseptable to noise so you may not need to twist anything, you could in theory just run 4 straight cables.
3. Up to you, I have techflex up to the split on mine, and then the remainder is heatshrinked.
4. Hahahhah some future date. I think that site has said that for years. Jump onto the sennheiser website, order a replacement cable, and splice away
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 14, 2006 at 5:07 AM Post #4 of 6
If you twist, there is a trick for best results... but I don't know how to best describe it...

A non-thinking way of twisting two wires together will end up rotating both wires as they're twisted. The result is the wires will bend some in the new direction but retain some memory of their prior direction.

If while you twist the two wires together, you deliberately hold the wires firm so they don't rotate, for example if you had lettering along the side of one and always keep the lettering pointing the same direction as you twist (same for both/all leads) then the end result is a cable that is not resisting this new twisting and stays tighter. Of course this matters more with multistranded cable than solid or if you had a very high insulator to metal ratio.

Jan 14, 2006 at 5:35 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by z2trillion
I've gotten the best results using a drill

That is easy and often works fine, but it does circularly twist the wires making htme more likely to untwist. When covered with an additional outer sheath it matters less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back