Senn 650's, Cardas cable, and . . . . .???
Jan 10, 2007 at 12:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

MaN227

100+ Head-Fier
Good Day,

I'm wondering if you'd be so kind as to reply to some questions I have. I am just getting into this hifi headphone world. I want to hear your thoughts good, bad or otherwise.

here we go, I'll start with what I have.

Senn HD-650's
and have a cardas audio cable coming in the mail atm.
I have a headroom coda amp le ( It just don't seem to cut the mustard) therefore my endeavor for better stuff. :p

The more I look around and research the more overwhelmed I get with the seemingly endless list of choices. It appears some posters will only say that the products that they own are the best, as it helps them justify to themselves their own choices. That is fine by me. With that said, convince me then
wink.gif

I am wondering what amp I should get to work well with the 650's and cardas cable. I can tell you now I am no fan of brite highs, and descriptions I have read from many, of the HEED canamp it just seems to hit the sweet spot as to what I am looking for in an amp. just not sure if its the best choice or will be a very nice match for my existing gear.

so a few amps that have caught my eye are

HEED canamp
Gilmore Lite
Eddie Current ECSS
Rockhopper M3
MF x-can v3
RSA hornet M
XIN super-macro IV
DarkVoice 332
WooAudio 3

I want something that'll drive the 650's to their full potential and not be maxed out itself, but having a bit of . ... um .. headroom. Also I'd like the lowest amount of "noise" from the amp that I can get. Output wise , no harsh/brite highs and solid , deep, substantial bass and neutral to warm mids.

musical taste is an easy one, I listen to any and everything EXCEPT opera :p

With that said I simply like to enjoy music from the top to the bottom of the freq. range, and am in NO way interested in super revealing analytical sound. As that always seems as an overall sound to be brite , forward and harsh on the top end. Natural is what I want and having played drums for several years I know just what they sound like and want honest reproduction of the recordings not colored.

It's for a home setup. not so concerned with portable, thats another ball of wax
biggrin.gif
. As far as home setups go I see some that use a DAC , can you share your thoughts on the need of using one and any that you think would be a good match for the rest of the components? perhaps:

LiTe DAC-AH
HeadRoom MicroDAC
Fubar II USB DAC
Entech NC 205.2 DAC
HiFi Digital Audio - Super Pro

I spend a fair amount of time at the PC if that means anything.

I want to thank you now in advance, and tell you I very much value and appreciate any and all feedback you can give me. I thank you for your time and consideration and look forward to ALL replies.

One thing though, if your just trying to impress everyone with your knowledge by giving 25 lines of tech jargon, please save it for another thread
wink.gif

Plain English will do just fine.

Please forgive my "n00bness"
wink.gif

Jan 10, 2007 at 12:56 AM Post #2 of 18
Your comment that most posters push what they have as the best is quizzical.
Most posters have probably done some research and feel that what they
have added to their audio systems is "best to their ears". People here are passionate about their equipment and love to share that passion; something diametrically
opposed to pushing product. And on topic: The Heed was best for me along with a Headroom Microdac coming out of a PC

Jan 10, 2007 at 1:04 AM Post #3 of 18
I've owned the Berning micro-ZOTL (tube) and the Corda HA-2 MkII SE (solid state) amplifiers. With the HD 650's darker tonality, I prefer the Corda, which brings out the upper registers better. (On other headphones I've tried, which are brighter, the micro-ZOTL was wonderful.)

If you frequently use your PC as a source, consider also the new Corda Opera, which may be the only sort of opera you'd really enjoy. Besides having a more sophisticated amplifier section, it also includes a DAC, which would enable you to decode your music outside your computer, in your amplifier.

Good luck navigating the amplifier jungle! Sorry for your wallet!

Jan 10, 2007 at 1:09 AM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by dw6928 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your comment that most posters push what they have as the best is odd. Nost posters have probably done some research and feel that what they have added to their audio systems is "best to their ears". I don't think anyone is pushing anything as if to suggest an ulterior motive. People here are passionate about their equipment and love to share that passion; something diametrically opposed to pushing product.

I agree with dw6928. I don't push the Corda; I just recommend it. I'm the first to grant there may be something better out there, but in my limited experience the Corda is the best I've found with the HD 650. That's all.

Jan 10, 2007 at 1:12 AM Post #5 of 18
thanks for pointing that out. maybe "push" was not the best choice of words. I have edited and tried to use better wording. thanks dw6928
wink.gif

thanks for the input folks
biggrin.gif

Balisarda: I'll just have to add that to my list. although I've no idea what the cost is, the webpage said to mail them for price, and 500$ US or so is about as much as i'm willing to spend. as it seems going over that seems to put me into another um... bracket? anyway. much appreciate your recommendation.

Jan 10, 2007 at 1:41 AM Post #6 of 18
you had asked for a recommendation to amplify your Sennheisers. Mine was
the Heed Canamp. (and if you can, with a Microdac or its likeness in kind).
I find this trio a true sweet spot, coming out of a pc.

Jan 10, 2007 at 2:12 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by dw6928 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you had asked for a recommendation to amplify your Sennheisers. Mine was
the Heed Canamp. (and if you can, with a Microdac or its likeness in kind).
I find this trio a true sweet spot, coming out of a pc.

cool thanks, can you elaborate on the Microdac or likeness part?
do you mean this one?
http://www.headphone.com/products/he...-micro-dac.php

Jan 10, 2007 at 2:42 AM Post #8 of 18
there she is! one of my favorite all time Headfi purchases. first with the Microamp and later with the Heed. It works brilliantly with everything I have thrown at it. btwn the 2 Great piece of equipment Microdac. Many Headfi people consider it one of the true sweet spots in portables.

Jan 10, 2007 at 9:22 AM Post #9 of 18
just got these quotes in the mail on the Corda HA-2 MkII SE

I guess someone don't want the price posted. I had no idea of that , as anyone can email for price. sorry.

afraid that put that amp out of the mix.

Jan 10, 2007 at 12:25 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaN227 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just got these quotes in the mail on the Corda HA-2 MkII SE

afraid that put that amp out of the mix.

I'm sure Jan will appreciate that you rejected his request - that you NOT disclose these prices and maintain them as CONFIDENTIAL!

Or... did you miss that line in his post!!!

Jan 10, 2007 at 2:14 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sure Jan will appreciate that you rejected his request - that you NOT disclose these prices and maintain them as CONFIDENTIAL!

Or... did you miss that line in his post!!!

I don't know what you mean about what he said in his post , I've not even seen "his post" , the amp was recommended and I got the price via email just like anyone can. there was/is absolutely NO mention of prices being a secret in the email.

I was only trying to help others and share info.

I've since edited my post. Very sorry to anyone that was bothered, tiffed, miffed, offended or any such thing by my error made unknowingly.

Jan 10, 2007 at 3:11 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

I don't know what you mean about what he said in his post , I've not even seen "his post" , the amp was recommended and I got the price via email just like anyone can. there was/is absolutely NO mention of prices being a secret in the email.

I've since edited my post. Very sorry to anyone that was bothered, tiffed, miffed, offended or any such thing by my error made unknowingly.

I personally have no concern... other than that we respect the policies of the vendors.

I would re-read the email from Jan - he has consistently requested that those receiving his special prices maintain them in confidence - at least in those he's sent to me.

Pehaps you should email him to clarify his policy... and report back.

Jan 10, 2007 at 3:34 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Jan asked that I not post the 'special price' on the Corda PreHead I purchased last month. Perhaps he forgot to include this request in your correspondence.

The Corda PreHead mK-II SE has been a welcome addition. It is the only amp I have used for the 650s , therefore it is the only one I can recommend.

Best of luck narrowing your decision.

Jan 10, 2007 at 3:58 PM Post #14 of 18
I must be missing something here on this forum... I still haven't seen this "his post" . post link here or pm please.

now two of you in a row have used the words SPECIAL PRICE. lets see if I am putting this together correctly. There must be a Head-Fi memeber "special price". correct?

In my email querry I made NO mention of Head-Fi, and I read through the reply from Mr Meier five times.

can someone please clarify and confirm about a head-fi special price? As that may very well make the amp just that much more appealing to me and a viable candidate for purchase. thank you .

Again, to Mr Meier and everyone else , I assure you there was no malice or ill intent on my part and I do apologize.

Jan 10, 2007 at 5:04 PM Post #15 of 18
Well, with your price range, I'll throw Jan's Corda Aria into the mix. It can be had for $470 usb new or around $350 used. It's an amp and dac combined and allows usb and rca inputs, which should be sufficient for your needs. I've never heard it with HD650's, but I do use it with my K701's and HD595's. I'll hear the HD650's with Cardas cable with it in the near future, so I can let you know how that works out, though my only comparison would be to a RSA Hornet-M. =T

Users who are viewing this thread

Back