Senn 650 woodies vs. Darth Beyer V3's
Jun 28, 2007 at 9:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

The Rino

100+ Head-Fier
I just got my Darth Beyer V3's from Larry and I just had a few questions. Does any one know how burn-in will affect SQ of V3's? I like them except for the base seems a little muddy on rare occasions near the high end. Anyone else here this. I had Senn 650's and I loved them except they were open. Has anyone heard both the Senn 650 woodies from Larry and the Darth Beyers V3's as to make a comparison. How is the Sq of the open Senns vs the woddied Senns. Should I give my Darths more time to aquire a taste for them. Lots of bass that's for sure. Your comments

Jun 28, 2007 at 9:41 PM Post #2 of 22
They DB's absolutely require 100 hours break in before they sound their best. The bass isn't right at first, no doubt.

Now, we want pics!

Jun 28, 2007 at 9:57 PM Post #3 of 22
Pics coming soon. I will give the V3's a few months I guess. Larry does great work appearance wise.

Jun 28, 2007 at 10:02 PM Post #4 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Rino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like them except for the base seems a little muddy on rare occasions near the high end. Anyone else here this.

Hi The Rino. You are completely right, stock the Darth Beyers bass is rather muddy and sounds like budget subs. I couldn't stand the way they sounded stock.

This might help you a lot though. Do you know where the cable went that connected the right ear cup to the left? Larry has removed it and you are left with an open hole. Actually, there are 4 open 'ports' on the ear cups in total.

When listening to music, try and plug up the two top holes with your fingers and see if you like it. It really tightens up the bass and removes the mid bass reverb. If you like this effect, I suggest you go to the local hardware/craft store and pick up some adhesive putty and plug up the two holes with the putty. If you want to go ever more, you can plug up all 4 holes with putty which is what I have done (an even greater effect). I also think it increase the overall soundstage and detail. I'm surprised Larry doesn't include some sort of little rubber plugs since it's so nice to be able to effectively "tune" the bass.

Edit: Here is a picture of it just incase you are wondering
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/185/3...b3a9e1dc79.jpg

I think you'll love your Darths with the Adhesive putty mod!

Keep us posted as to how it goes,
~Drew

Jun 28, 2007 at 10:12 PM Post #5 of 22
YES! We demand pics
darth.gif

I like 2 of the 4 holes plugged, I just use black electrical tape.

Jun 28, 2007 at 10:12 PM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi The Rino. You are completely right, stock the Darth Beyers bass is rather muddy and sounds like budget subs. I couldn't stand the way they sounded stock.

This might help you a lot though. Do you know where the cable went that connected the right ear cup to the left? Larry has removed it and you are left with an open hole. Actually, there are 4 open 'ports' on the ear cups in total.

When listening to music, try and plug up the two top holes with your fingers and see if you like it. It really tightens up the bass and removes the mid bass reverb. If you like this effect, I suggest you go to the local hardware/craft store and pick up some adhesive putty and plug up the two holes with the putty. If you want to go ever more, you can plug up all 4 holes with putty which is what I have done (an even greater effect). I also think it increase the overall soundstage and detail. I'm surprised Larry doesn't include some sort of little rubber plugs since it's so nice to be able to effectively "tune" the bass.

Edit: Here is a picture of it just incase you are wondering
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/185/3...b3a9e1dc79.jpg

I think you'll love your Darths with the Adhesive putty mod!

Keep us posted as to how it goes,
~Drew

can you just use black plasticine?

Jun 28, 2007 at 10:13 PM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Rino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pics coming soon. I will give the V3's a few months I guess. Larry does great work appearance wise.

Why give them a few months? Just burn them in for 4 days straight.

Jun 28, 2007 at 10:22 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by kamal007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can you just use black plasticine?

Oh, I'm sure that would do the same thing, though I'm not sure if it would stick as well as adhesive putty or if it would dry out.

Jun 28, 2007 at 10:24 PM Post #9 of 22
i recently acquired a pair of Darths and found them to sound very muddy and just not right when i first put them on my head. after about 125 hrs of burn in, they changed a whole lot and sounded how i expected them to sound. bass really tightens up and the soundstage widens. now they're amazing, and i just have to get used to having a little more bass than before (and also the clamping force is a little stronger than i'm used to too, but hey that's fixable
tongue.gif
)

Jun 28, 2007 at 11:55 PM Post #10 of 22
Shoebox, have you tried plugging up the holes on your Darths?
Edit: I see your's have the open sides. I mean plugging up the 4 small holes, not the 2 on the side.

Jun 29, 2007 at 1:42 AM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Edit: I see your's have the open sides. I mean plugging up the 4 small holes, not the 2 on the side.

nope, i haven't tried it yet. i will give it a shot and see how i like it

Jun 29, 2007 at 6:16 AM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

I did try, lasted for 2 days, didn't like what it did to the bass. Personal preference I guess, I actually like that slight reverb.

Jun 29, 2007 at 8:33 AM Post #13 of 22
Sorry, I spelled bass, "base" in my first post. I really did make it past the third grade. I will try and plug up the holes and see how I like it. Thanks Towert7. Sounds weird calling you Towert7 can I just call you Towert? Oh...nobody out there have the Senn 650 woodies from Larry?

Jun 29, 2007 at 9:05 AM Post #14 of 22
Thanks Towert7. I tried plugging up the 4 holes and they sound much better. The bass is much more tight and controlled and not as prominent. I use the Darths with my portable rig, actually it's my only rig and iPod 5G is my source. Two questions for you. First, if you have an iPod, which EQ setting do you use? I used the ROCK setting with my E500's but it sounds to bright and the vocals sound recessed with the Darths so I use the ACCOUSTIC one. Second, do you have any idea if you can add your own EQ settings to the iPod via iTunes. I added my own set in iTunes. I called it JIM but it didn't show up on my iPod.

Jun 29, 2007 at 12:09 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lad27 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did try, lasted for 2 days, didn't like what it did to the bass. Personal preference I guess, I actually like that slight reverb.

x2. I don't like the ports plugged. Just different strokes...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back