Senn 650 or Westone 3?
May 2, 2007 at 7:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

AndrewF

100+ Head-Fier
I've got the UM2's, and they sound fantastic with my new Tomahawk. I have the Westone 3 on order, but now I'm wondering if I should get something different, get a serious pair of full sized headphones, rather than another IEM, just for a little variety. Would the Tomahawk be able to power the 650's? Is there another full size headphone that might be a better match for this amp and for my listening preferences (I really like the UM2 sound signature, for example, and my home stuff is all older Naim, very musical). I've seen the 650's advertised for under $300, which seems like a steal. I don't really think I can justify buying both right now. So- stick with the new Westone 3's, or get a full sized headphone?

Andrew

May 2, 2007 at 7:26 PM Post #2 of 8
My advice would be, with your current setup.. stick with the Westone 3's. Not that the TH couldn't drive the HD650s, BUT I believe the HD650s would still be starved for power.. they are demanding headphones and you would want to get the MOST out of them. Save it for a wishlist when you upgrade or add other components to your inventory (GOOD source, home amp, etc...)..

May 2, 2007 at 7:58 PM Post #3 of 8
Well, I do have a Naim amp and preamp- assuming I have a headphone input, that's a pretty nice amp. source-wise, i've got everything on a mac at 320AAC, which sounds indistinguishable to apple lossless to me, takes up much less space, and can be streamed from one computer to another. that should be a decent source, at least using the nano lineout to the vampire interconnect.

still not good enough for the 650's?

af

May 2, 2007 at 8:05 PM Post #4 of 8
Hi Andrew! The Westone 3 are something different, while the old UM2 are told to have a "sennheiser" sound signature.

May 2, 2007 at 8:33 PM Post #5 of 8
From what I understand the 650 seem to scale pretty good to your equipment, so if you think that you'll get away with a mere 300 bucks you're fooling yourself. Make sure your wallet is prepared.

The quote in Morph201's sig says it all:

The HD650 is not just a can that you can build a rig around, it is a can that causes rigs to be built.
- granodemostasa

On the other hand, it all comes down to if you listen to music mostly on the go or if your home rig would get more playtime. Spend the money on what you'll actually USE the most.

May 2, 2007 at 8:33 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I do have a Naim amp and preamp- assuming I have a headphone input, that's a pretty nice amp. source-wise, i've got everything on a mac at 320AAC, which sounds indistinguishable to apple lossless to me, takes up much less space, and can be streamed from one computer to another. that should be a decent source, at least using the nano lineout to the vampire interconnect.

still not good enough for the 650's?

af

Ah, you didn't list or mention that first. I was under the impression you ere going to be using the portable rig with either the 3's or 650s. Using the mac as a transport is fine, 320 vs lossless is a topic for another day.. (some people can hear differences, on certain tracks...
wink.gif
) Anyhoo.... It depends on what your goal is, portable or home use. Obviously, portable I would go with the 3's.... I think you can figure out what home would be ...
smily_headphones1.gif

May 2, 2007 at 9:03 PM Post #7 of 8
Thanks. I'll have to decide whether I really have that much listening time at home (3 kids, job, etc). The portable rig is nice because I can be anywhere. Maybe I'm best just maxing that out as much as possible.

Andrew

May 3, 2007 at 8:37 AM Post #8 of 8
go with the best porty rig bud. as u so aptly stated "the portable rig is nice because i can be anywhere". im too am downgrading from the home rig to improve on a great porty rig for the same reasons. the shure E500, W3 or even customs are sound bets
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back