Senn 650 is here... WOW
Aug 31, 2006 at 8:03 PM Post #16 of 44
And a great cable can definitely help. I use Grace52 with HD650, amped by X-Can V3. It is a great combo. I can really feel the live music coming from my headphones.

Aug 31, 2006 at 8:40 PM Post #17 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cosmid
And a great cable can definitely help. I use Grace52 with HD650, amped by X-Can V3. It is a great combo. I can really feel the live music coming from my headphones.

I haven't heard the Grace52- but I can definately vouche for the X-cans v.3 synergy with them. Very nice. And gets rid of the "veil" - well for the most part.

Aug 31, 2006 at 9:17 PM Post #18 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by pupu
Fresh out of the box and I'm SOO impressed. I tried AKG 701 before but found them somewhat lifeless and analytical.

These cans just rock in every single way
biggrin.gif

Sounds like you found the right cans for your musical tastes. It's true there are certain types of music that sounds better on HD650 vs. K701. However, there other types of music that sounds better on K701.

Also, just like certain bad synergistic amp/HD650 combo will sound as clear as mud, bad amp/K701 combo 'can' sound lifeless and analytical. Put the right amp ahead of K701, and "lifeless and analytical" simply does not apply IME.

Aug 31, 2006 at 9:33 PM Post #19 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L
Sounds like you found the right cans for your musical tastes. It's true there are certain types of music that sounds better on HD650 vs. K701. However, there other types of music that sounds better on K701.

Also, just like certain bad synergistic amp/HD650 combo will sound as clear as mud, bad amp/K701 combo 'can' sound lifeless and analytical. Put the right amp ahead of K701, and "lifeless and analytical" simply does not apply IME.

What amp makes the K701 musical? I've never heard an amp change the general signature of a headphone.

Analytical doesn't mean bad. It's just a different way of listening. The K701 technically sounds better and more accurate, but the Senns more musical, and Grado's most musical.

Sep 1, 2006 at 12:10 AM Post #20 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321
What amp makes the K701 musical? I've never heard an amp change the general signature of a headphone.

Analytical doesn't mean bad. It's just a different way of listening. The K701 technically sounds better and more accurate, but the Senns more musical, and Grado's most musical.

My music is more musical than any of those headphones.
biggrin.gif

I'd say the same thing but replace "musical" with "coloured."

Sep 1, 2006 at 1:23 AM Post #21 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by nierika
biggrin.gif

Your music is coloured
tongue.gif

Actually, look at the frequency response of the Senn 650 and K701, it's either even or the K701 is more coloured especially in the highs.

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCom...are+Headphones

Sep 1, 2006 at 4:20 AM Post #22 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321

For one, Almarro A205a MkII. I'm listening to K701 via the cheap-a@@ 1/8 inch headphone jack, but even then the combo is waaay musical. The Ori modded Zhaolu 2.0 doesn't hurt.

I am actually trying the Almarro to go with my K1000, but K701 came into my possession lately. I am ordering the Almarro with custom 4-pin XLR jack, and I will be reterminating the K701 with 4-pin XLR when it gets here.

Sep 1, 2006 at 4:43 AM Post #23 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L
For one, Almarro A205a MkII. I'm listening to K701 via the cheap-a@@ 1/8 inch headphone jack, but even then the combo is waaay musical. The Ori modded Zhaolu 2.0 doesn't hurt.

I am actually trying the Almarro to go with my K1000, but K701 came into my possession lately. I am ordering the Almarro with custom 4-pin XLR jack, and I will be reterminating the K701 with 4-pin XLR when it gets here.

I'm actually enjoying my SP PPX3 with the K701's. It helps give it a tight and deep bass.
eggosmile.gif

Sep 1, 2006 at 5:39 AM Post #24 of 44
This can is bigger in style than one would expect from a Sennheisser. A bit oaky with some heat on the nose and palate, somewhat in the style of a California AKG. A clear and deep golden-yellow tone. The nose is full with stone fruit, pineapple, and oaky aromas. Medium to full bodied, and dry, while coating the ear-canal with an oily texture. Tones of poached pear, white peach, some tropical fruit, oak, and a vain of lemon-lime acidity running in the background. The finish is dry and hot with the fruit flavors lingering on the Eustachian Tube. This Can is nearing the beginning of its peak so lsiten over the next 6 months.

Sep 1, 2006 at 6:28 AM Post #25 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by augustwest
"What do you think of the veil?"

If you amp them properly, there won't be any veil.

- augustwest

aought-o! Let me go get some popcorn and a fire extinguisher
blink.gif

Sep 1, 2006 at 1:07 PM Post #26 of 44
A question for those HD650 / Zu Mobius or Silver Dragon folks out there....

I like the bass and mids of the HD650's (and of course their appearence), but would like them to have the brighter, airier sound of the HD600's - more of the HD600's emphasis on higher frequencies.

Will the Zu Mobius, or Moon Silver Dragon, make the HD650's sound more like the HD600's with the Cardas - will they brighten them up like the HD600's?

Or... should I just stick with the HD600's and forget about trying to make the HD650's sound as bright as the HD600's?

Sep 1, 2006 at 2:12 PM Post #27 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Svperstar
aought-o! Let me go get some popcorn and a fire extinguisher
blink.gif

tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2
A question for those HD650 / Zu Mobius or Silver Dragon folks out there...

I like the bass and mids of the HD650's (and of course their appearence), but would like them to have the brighter, airier sound of the HD600's - more of the HD600's emphasis on higher frequencies.

Will the Zu Mobius, or Moon Silver Dragon, make the HD650's sound more like the HD600's with the Cardas - will they brighten them up like the HD600's?

Or... should I just stick with the HD600's and forget about trying to make the HD650's sound as bright as the HD600's?

Remove the foam discs from the HD650. Just pop out the pads take the discs out and put the pads back in place. It will become less muffled,the so-called "veil" will disappear!

Sep 1, 2006 at 2:56 PM Post #28 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2
A question for those HD650 / Zu Mobius or Silver Dragon folks out there...

I own the 650's with the zu mobius and although it does in fact make them a little more bright (I would choose the work detailed over bright) They still sound more coloured than the 600's. To you they still might sound too dark and moody. I just happen to enjoy that colour. I'd go to a head-fi meeting and check them out for yourself to see if you like.

Sep 1, 2006 at 2:59 PM Post #29 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by nierika
biggrin.gif

They are both more musical and coloured. Alot of music just happens to sound better to many people with a certain type of colour added to it. Would you like to be photographed under a colored studio light or the raw light of the sun?

Sep 1, 2006 at 5:09 PM Post #30 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by MASantos
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Remove the foam discs from the HD650. Just pop out the pads take the discs out and put the pads back in place. It will become less muffled,the so-called "veil" will disappear!

Been there... done that (see my signature).

While "deveiling" them definitely helps... they still don't have the brighter sound of the HD600's (not as much emphasis on high frequencies) - although the bass and mids are outstanding!

I was hoping the Zu, or Silver Dragon, would add the emphasis on high frequencies - although the Senn v2 Black Silver (solid silver) doesn't get them there. I've read some people think the Zu or Silver Dragon makes them too strident / harsh - so I thought one of these might do it. I suppose I can order the Zu and give it their 60 day trial and see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back