Senn 650+Gilmore Lite vs. Stax 3030 for classical
Nov 26, 2004 at 6:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

kamenal

Head-Fier
Dear friends! I have narrowed down my search for a headphone system for classical music listening to senn 650+gilmore lt vs. stax 3030.
Please, share your thoughts about these headphones. Any other ideas for under $1000?

Thank you,
ALex

Nov 26, 2004 at 10:39 PM Post #3 of 12
I would go with a different amp if you were to do this setup with the HD650s.

With the two current choices, I'd go with the Stax definitely. I can't even begin to imagine how classical music would sound on a Gilmore Lite.
600smile.gif

Nov 26, 2004 at 11:26 PM Post #5 of 12
I'd be curious to know what kind of classical music we're talking about. I like the Stax for chamber and small orchestral works, but the Senn's sonic weight brings more impact to large orchestral pieces. (He cringes in anticipation.)
lambda.gif

I would really suggest auditioning both headphones with familiar music. The Stax sound is truly addictive, but, as TrevorNetwork points out, the two really are very different.

BW

Nov 27, 2004 at 3:20 AM Post #6 of 12
I listen to all kinds of classical music, but tend to enjoy the most transparent chamber works, piano and voice. Then,I guess, I've answered my own question. I'VE PLACED AN ORDER FOR A STAX 3030 AT AUDIUCUBES. THE PRICE IS $779. Thank you for your replies.

Alex

Nov 27, 2004 at 1:38 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by kamenal
I listen to all kinds of classical music, but tend to enjoy the most transparent chamber works, piano and voice. Then,I guess, I've answered my own question. I'VE PLACED AN ORDER FOR A STAX 3030 AT AUDIUCUBES. THE PRICE IS $779. Thank you for your replies.

Alex

You made the right choice there!

senn 650+gilmore lt doesn't even come close to the Stax system. The STAX 3030 is in a different league all together, IMHO. I have the 404's which are the 303's with a upgraded cable (same one as the omega2 uses).

Nov 27, 2004 at 5:44 PM Post #9 of 12
Dear KR and friends, I know now, that I've made the right choice. Coming from you, your approval is very important to me. I've moved my system (Naim+ProAc 1sc+ Sunfire sub) to a more suitable room and now it sounds fantastic. I can't wait for my Stax to arrive.

Thank you,
Alex

Nov 27, 2004 at 6:04 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
I would go with a different amp if you were to do this setup with the HD650s.

With the two current choices, I'd go with the Stax definitely. I can't even begin to imagine how classical music would sound on a Gilmore Lite.
600smile.gif

What's wrong with using the Gilmore Lite with the 650s, especially classical music?
If the Lite sounds anything like the dynahi, which to me sounds transparent and neutral, I would think that it would be a great amp for the 650s for classical music.
I find for classical music that it's very important (atleast to me) to have a relatively neutral sound and transparent sound.

Nov 27, 2004 at 6:46 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Natsuiro
What's wrong with using the Gilmore Lite with the 650s, especially classical music?
If the Lite sounds anything like the dynahi, which to me sounds transparent and neutral, I would think that it would be a great amp for the 650s for classical music.
I find for classical music that it's very important (atleast to me) to have a relatively neutral sound and transparent sound.

So if you had to pick one or the another then the Stax is the only real choice, the Stax are all about being neutral and transparent.

I have heard the lite but not the dynahi, so I can not comment on the dynahi. I do not think that the Lite/650 combo is bad at all, it is in fact quite nice! However, the Stax 303/404 are simply put in a different league, bested only by mega dollar headphone systems costing many times as much, and even then many prefer these Stax headphones to those more costy counterparts. That is not to say that the 650 can not compete at all, since I belive they can, once you upgrade their cables and hook them up to mega dollar amps, but at that point they cost many times the price of a Stax system and even then they can only give you a sound that is nearly as good and in some people's eyes perhaps just as good but never better than them, IMHO.

Nov 28, 2004 at 2:52 AM Post #12 of 12
Yea I heard the 303 system and was quite impressed.
I was just wondering why Aman suggested to go with another amp for the HD-650s.. and when he said, "I can't even begin to imagine how classical music would sound on a Gilmore Lite," to me it seemed like he thought it would be a terrible combo, and I was just wondering why.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back