Senn 600/Cardas or AKG 701?
Apr 20, 2006 at 9:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

robm321

Headphoneus Supremus
I have been trying to avoid the 701 banwagon but have had people with my same tastes vouche for them. I have the K1000s and love the sound (if that's AKG sound I like it... a lot). I also have the Grado RS-1, and Senn 600/Cardas.

My RS-1 and K1000 will remain no matter what - they have a magic quality (K1000's even moreso) that can't really be replaced.

But the Senns serve as a good all-a-rounder, Nuetral, etc. for when I put my audiophile hat on and get all analytical. Looking for balance and accuracy. Or is the DT880 (new version) possibly worth waiting for?

The 701's would replace the Senns. My concern is that I've heard that they sound thin. Don't like that. And lack bass. Don't like that either. Or are they just about the same as the 600/cardas which makes getting them not worth it?

confused.gif

Apr 20, 2006 at 10:13 PM Post #4 of 19
I think the AKGs can perform well in the all-arounder area. They are comfortable, seem to project a nice soundstage (headstage) with some recordings, the bass is there (mine are new), and seem smooth to me, not a harsh note to be found.

I guess all the hype was real. I can also see why so many here are liking this can.

Apr 21, 2006 at 1:01 AM Post #5 of 19
I assume (which is never good) that the Senn 600 has the better bass, but it seems like the 701's compete or do a better job of the rest of the frequency spectrum.

Anyone notice that they sound thin?

Apr 21, 2006 at 2:10 AM Post #6 of 19
They are pretty similar. The HD600/Cardas has more weight and slightly more warmth however. The k701 has slightly superior treble extension and cleaner highs resulting in a more open/airy sound. I sold my HD600/Cardas before purchasing the k701, but I found that I missed some of the signature Sennheiser qualities so I quickly bought a pair on the forums again. There are very subtle additions and subtractions to each headphone, and at this point, I'm not sure which one is going to leave.

I would also advise you not to make any decisions on the k701 before they are fully burned in. I've owned them for almost a month now and after almost constant burn-in from the day they arrived, I've only recently begun to experience magic with them. Initially, I was going to send them back because of discomfort alone, but I stretched the headband out and softened the velour pads using a DVD box set as a stand. I'm sure a dummy head, a stack of books, or similar would accomplish this just as well.

Apr 21, 2006 at 9:57 PM Post #7 of 19
I think I'm going to keep the Senn 600/Cardas. I don't like thin sounding music. I have other phones that give me all the treble/midrange bliss I want
k1000smile.gif
. I also like solid bass (not 650 added bass) without having to turn the volume up. The 600's fill the bill for me. Thanks for all the replies.

biggrin.gif

Apr 21, 2006 at 10:53 PM Post #8 of 19
I have the HD600 stock cable and the K701. In my opinion the K701 is more detailed, livelier, and the base tighter.

The K701 is a better sounding can than the HD600. In a couple of months I will be looking for an aftermarket cable, currently I am leaning towards the Blue Dragon V2 from Moon Audio. Perhaps with that cabe the Senn will get better.

By the way the RS-1 beats the HD600/K701, actually it destroys them
biggrin.gif

Apr 21, 2006 at 11:09 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
I have the HD600 stock cable and the K701. In my opinion the K701 is more detailed, livelier, and the base tighter.

The K701 is a better sounding can than the HD600. In a couple of months I will be looking for an aftermarket cable, currently I am leaning towards the Blue Dragon V2 from Moon Audio. Perhaps with that cabe the Senn will get better.

By the way the RS-1 beats the HD600/K701, actually it destroys them
biggrin.gif

That's my point right there. I imagine the 701 is better somehow becuase if it's not then everyone would get the Senn 600 for much cheaper, but since I have the RS-1, and K1000 which both are very fast and dynamic, I keep my 600's to give me a nice tonal balance and laid back sound when I'm in the mood for it.

BTW, adding the Cardas cable completely changed the 600's - without upgrading the cable, it's really not a great headphone. With the cable I bet it would be very close to the 701s. But unless the 701 is significantly better, than I'll keep my Senns.

Yeah, RS-1's aren't mentioned too much with this crowd, but they are spectacular to those that understand
icon10.gif

Apr 21, 2006 at 11:10 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321
I think I'm going to keep the Senn 600/Cardas. I don't like thin sounding music. I have other phones that give me all the treble/midrange bliss I want
k1000smile.gif
. I also like solid bass (not 650 added bass) without having to turn the volume up. The 600's fill the bill for me. Thanks for all the replies.

biggrin.gif

Other than a few dollars in shipping if you don't like them and have to return them, what do you have to lose by trying them? It sounds like there are some very different opinions on these headphones, so wouldn't it be best to hear for yourself? There are people here who think these headphones are no better than the HD600s, and there are others who think this is one of the best headphones ever made. How do you know who is right without ever trying them?

I guess I just have a different approach to this -- I need to try every new headphone that comes out for myself to determine whether it beats my current favorites.

Apr 22, 2006 at 3:45 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by seacard
Other than a few dollars in shipping if you don't like them and have to return them, what do you have to lose by trying them? It sounds like there are some very different opinions on these headphones, so wouldn't it be best to hear for yourself? There are people here who think these headphones are no better than the HD600s, and there are others who think this is one of the best headphones ever made. How do you know who is right without ever trying them?

I guess I just have a different approach to this -- I need to try every new headphone that comes out for myself to determine whether it beats my current favorites.

What is your current favorite?

That strategy makes sense. That's why I like headfi, you will get those making outrageous claims, but for the most part people agree they are in with the top $3-400 phones depending on your preference. Maybe I will try them down the road, but there are others I want to try as well.

Apr 22, 2006 at 5:15 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321
What is your current favorite?

Currently, my favorite dynamics are the K701, K1000, and the Qualia. But we may have different tastes because I think the RS-1 is one of the most disappointing headphones I've ever heard (along with the L3000). But I have compared the 701s extensively with the HD600/650s, and like the 701 better (slightly better, but better nonetheless) on pretty much every count.

Apr 22, 2006 at 6:36 PM Post #14 of 19
Wow, sounds like you guys are trying to mess with my wallet
very_evil_smiley.gif

ok ok maybe I'll have to bight. I flip flop more than John Kerry on this issue.

If it has a lot of the K1000 attributes, I might have to go for it. I would like a regular dynamic phone as an all arounder, and the Senn 600 is great, but it can't necessarily handle complex passages. The 650 can but didn't really compell me to get them. So... are they still backordered?

May 29, 2006 at 6:25 AM Post #15 of 19
I guess we'll all just have to get all these phones and see for ourselves :p It all depends on ur ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back