Senn-595 vs AT-A900 vs Beyer
Apr 4, 2007 at 11:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

L4Z

New Head-Fier
I've been browsing the forums the past couple days trying to replace my crappy logitech heapdhones. I play games (fear, starcraft!), watch movies, and listen to rock mostly. So I've narrowed the vast array of headphones down to these:

Audio-Technica ATH A900
Sennheiser HD595
beyerdynamic DT 770
beyerdynamic DT 880 2005 Edition
beyerdynamic DT 990 2006 Edition

Money isn't that big of an issue. If I need an amp, I'll buy one. I just want the best possible solution.

Also, I almost eliminated the A900 for the fact that people say their ears get warm and it becomes uncomfortable, which doesn't seem to be a problem with any of the others.

So, cast your vote, and share your opinion so that I can pull the trigger today!

Apr 4, 2007 at 11:36 AM Post #2 of 11
I have both the HD595 and the DT880. I would choose the DT880 in a heartbeat if money is no issue, with the addition of a nice amp of course
very_evil_smiley.gif

It's just more natural sounding, clearer, less grain. Bass quality is also a lot better with the HD595 (and with the right amp/source also the quantity). The DT880 also are aggresive enough to portray electric and accoustic guitar really nice.

What sound signature are you aiming at? Because the DT990 offer more bass, but with less balanced sound than the DT880.

And by the way: Comfort on the Beyers is as good as it gets, if that's an issue

Apr 4, 2007 at 11:56 AM Post #3 of 11
I might appreciate the more bass of the 990's, but I haven't heard the 880's, so not sure if I'd want more bass or not.

What's a good amp to pair with the beyers?

Apr 4, 2007 at 12:38 PM Post #4 of 11
Meier Audio amps pair well with the Beyers.
The Aria and the DT880 for example have a real good synergy to my ears.
Another options might be tube amps, but i'm not into that, so no experience there.
But there are quite a few who like the combo DT880+tubes.

About the bass: The DT880 is more natural sounding, while the DT990 is more fun sounding. Both ends of the frequency spectrum, the highs and the lows are elevated with it. It's really hard to tell what you like better without having heard it yourself. I like the natural sound of the DT880, but ymmv.

Apr 4, 2007 at 3:22 PM Post #5 of 11
i would go for either dt770 or dt990 if you game, watch movies and listen to rock. both of those provide more punch and bass than the dt880, especially the dt770 (has allot of bass).

Apr 4, 2007 at 3:36 PM Post #6 of 11
This gets into murky areas, because all the mentioned headphones sound great with good amping: even the HD595
icon10.gif
It really depends on what your tastes are. If you like bass heavy rock (ie trip hop or hip hop) go with the DT770. For me, they are too bassy...but I think they might be more natural for those genres. The HD595 is great for accoustic and alternative: providing a nice intimate soundstage with some punch. If you do wind up with these, they do better with a tube amp IMO: that improves their bass. The DT880 might seem more aggressive and good for hard rock. The problem is that YMMV due to your tastes and ear. But I think trying to see what genres that fans of a particular headphone like, is the best way to go. Hopefully that means they have the same tastes as you.

Apr 4, 2007 at 4:11 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by L4Z /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been browsing the forums the past couple days trying to replace my crappy logitech heapdhones. I play games (fear, starcraft!), watch movies, and listen to rock mostly.

Having owned four of the five you're considering, I'd rank them as follows based on your criteria:

DT990 > HD595 > DT880 > A900

If you weren't intending to use them for gaming and movies, I'd order them differently. But for those purposes, I think bass is more important for enjoyment.

Quote:

Also, I almost eliminated the A900 for the fact that people say their ears get warm and it becomes uncomfortable, which doesn't seem to be a problem with any of the others.

That was the big downfall of the A900 for me. The pleather pads just got too hot for me to use them for any extended amount of time. It's all about velour for me from now on.

FWIW, I found the HD595 to be the most comfortable of all the headphones I've ever used.

Apr 4, 2007 at 4:17 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by karma /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That was the big downfall of the A900 for me. The pleather pads just got too hot for me to use them for any extended amount of time. It's all about velour for me from now on.

FWIW, I found the HD595 to be the most comfortable of all the headphones I've ever used.

Exact same experience here.

Apr 4, 2007 at 4:24 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by L4Z /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been browsing the forums the past couple days trying to replace my crappy logitech heapdhones. I play games (fear, starcraft!), watch movies, and listen to rock mostly. So I've narrowed the vast array of headphones down to these:

Audio-Technica ATH A900
Sennheiser HD595
beyerdynamic DT 770
beyerdynamic DT 880 2005 Edition
beyerdynamic DT 990 2006 Edition

Money isn't that big of an issue. If I need an amp, I'll buy one. I just want the best possible solution.

So, cast your vote, and share your opinion so that I can pull the trigger today!

The A900 has pleather earpads so that's where the warmth comes from. The other headphones all have velour earpads. I also much prefer velour over pleather.

For mainly games and movies with some rock throw in, I'd strongly suggest the HD595. Not only does it sound good and is it comfortable, it can be bought for about $150 and you don't have to amp it for it to sound good.

I love my DT990 but it requires an amp to sound decent. As already mentioned, Meier Audio's amps mate well with Beyer headphones. I can attest that the Corda HA-2 MkII SE sounds awesome with the DT990. I'm sure less expensive Corda amps sound good as well.

Apr 4, 2007 at 6:26 PM Post #10 of 11
I'm going to go ahead and get the Sennheiser 595's. I will just plug them into my HK receiver. They seem comfortable, and I'm sure they will pwn my logitechs
tongue.gif
Also, I wanted the 990's, but the headphones are a lot more expensive, and I'd have to buy an amp. So its a $175 vs $600+, and I like $175 a lot more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back