Senn 595 - AKG K601 - Beyer DT770
Dec 6, 2007 at 2:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Foe-hammer

100+ Head-Fier
I've been a long time reader here, and am looking into getting my first pair of good headphones.

Anyway, i have narrowed my choices down to 3, all of which are in the $200 price range. They being: Senn 595 - AKG K601 - Beyer DT770.

My main use will be for console gaming and movies via a DD and DTS 5.1 Dolby Headphone receiver. I'll be using a PA2V2 pocket amp, but plan on getting a rockhopper mini^3 portable amp.

From what i understand, the Beyers have a lot of bass, but lack in the mids. Both the Sinn and the AGK have better clarity and a larger sound stage, and also have great mids.

If any have tried all three of these headphone, please let me know your impressions.

Thanks...

Dec 6, 2007 at 2:55 PM Post #2 of 27
I haven't heard the hd595's, but between the 770 and 601, the 601 is much better balanced - however you will -not- get subwoofer bass out of them.

Depending on your receiver, you may not need another amp for the 770's (if you go 80-ohm).

Dec 6, 2007 at 3:17 PM Post #3 of 27
These three headphones are actually the only three higher end phones that I have heard (besides my new Denons). If I were you I would stay away from the 595s, they lack the clarity of the 601s and the bass of 770s. If you like a lot of bass you will not be thrilled with the 601s, but they were clearly the best of the three to me. I have since sold all of them to get a pair of Denon D2000s. The D2000s have the clarity of the 601s and better (not more) bass than the 770s. Worth the extra dough if you can swing it. Oh, and just so you know the 601s takes a ton of power to reach its potential.

Dec 6, 2007 at 4:39 PM Post #4 of 27
I own the HD595s and I must say the amp made a huge difference in the sound I got. On a low gain setting they sounded too airy and lacked bass/kick, but on the high gain setting they sound amazing with perfect bass and great mids. The highs and treble can pitch a bit too high however. It's great with vocals and it's a very "front-row" sound, you feel like the band or singer is right in front of you. If you listen to acoustic or instrumental stuff it's particularly amazing!

I've noticed a huge improvement in their sound since I got them a month ago, they have gotten better and better each week.

I have really enjoyed them in movies and for music. They're very comfortable, I listen to them for 6-8 hours a day and never get tired of them.

I can't really compare to the others, but I can definitely recommend the 595s if you plan on listening to stuff for long periods and want an all-around pair of phones that will perform well with any type of sound you throw at them.

Dec 6, 2007 at 5:21 PM Post #5 of 27
the hd595s are pretty good for all around purpose music, but an amp is needed to let them shine (from what i have experienced thus far)

if you want to save money, just get the dt770pro-80ohm... movies and gaming = need bass = dt770! plus it isolates, and has a long durable cord for those times of frustration in video games
wink.gif

Dec 6, 2007 at 10:46 PM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by uraflit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the hd595s are pretty good for all around purpose music, but an amp is needed to let them shine (from what i have experienced thus far)

if you want to save money, just get the dt770pro-80ohm... movies and gaming = need bass = dt770! plus it isolates, and has a long durable cord for those times of frustration in video games
wink.gif

i shouldn't get the dt770 then because i'm good at gaming =)

Dec 9, 2007 at 11:34 PM Post #8 of 27
Well i received the beyer 770... and i'm not impressed. They sound average, not all that comfortable, and the pleather looks cheap. So i'll be returning them tomorrow.

So now i'll be choosing between the K601 or HD595. I'm leaning more towards the K601.

Dec 9, 2007 at 11:41 PM Post #9 of 27
FYI, you can get Beyer DT880's on eBay for under $200. I have a pair and I think they're wonderful. Bass is all that it should be and the mids and highs are sweet and non-fatiguing.

Dec 9, 2007 at 11:50 PM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by neilometer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FYI, you can get Beyer DT880's on eBay for under $200. I have a pair and I think they're wonderful. Bass is all that it should be and the mids and highs are sweet and non-fatiguing.

Agreed. Excellent gaming cans..

Dec 30, 2007 at 10:15 AM Post #13 of 27
I ended up keeping the k601's.

The k601's had better sound stage, bass then the 595's. The Senns also sounded a bit canned. The k601's had noticeably more sound stage and mids then the 770 03's.

The k601's also are the most comfortable of the 3 headphones. The only thing that i do not like is that the headband doesn't stay put, but slowly slips down my head over a period of time. But other then that, i'm very pleased with them.

Dec 30, 2007 at 11:40 AM Post #15 of 27
The K601's are a league ahead of the others. They will respond very well to source upgrades, and will demand proper amplification.

DT770's are fun and all, but they are a bit ridiculous for music IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back