Senn 580's done already (after 2 weeks)
Jun 6, 2002 at 10:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Mr.T

New Head-Fier
Well after 2 weeks of regular use my HD 580's one side I get no sound at all.. I suspect after changing the wires that it is a cable problem.. Note: I never even touch the cables (i.e. moved them in or out during the 2 weeks I had them) I pad $200 for these and now I get sound out of one ear I bought a pair of $30 Sony's 4 years ago and they still work fine.. Not as good as sound as the Senn 580's though.

What I'm going to do is get the HD590's instead of getting the HD580's again (because of the notorious cable problem I've been hearing about) I'm using just a receiver so I'm hoping the 590's are easier to drive (the ohms states yes they are) wouldn't mind having something a little brighter anyway (For Rock music)

Anybody else have any problems with these 580's ???

Jun 6, 2002 at 11:27 AM Post #2 of 11
Instead of buying totally new headphones, why don't you use this as an excuse to buy the Clou or Cardas replacement cables? I think maybe Clou might be right for you because you want brighter sound.
Personally, I'm hoping that my HD600 stock cable breaks soon...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 6, 2002 at 3:43 PM Post #3 of 11
I would get them replaced or fixed. I've had my HD545 for 1.5 years, my HD600 for 1 year, and my HD580 for 3 months, all have had their cords yanked quite hard by accident (me stepping on the cord while wearing them) and I've never had any problem with the sound cutting out.

The place you bought them from ought to exchange them within 30 days for another pair. If not, they have a 2 or 3 year warranty so take advantage of it.

Jun 6, 2002 at 5:39 PM Post #4 of 11
I am of the opinion that Sennheiser cables are pieces of crap, from a durability standpoint. Very poorly designed. If you are going to put on a stiff unflexing plastic strain relief, why bother putting on one at all. The cable always flexes in the same spot and eventually breaks. Ever hear of rubber?

Mind you, given that the cables are user replaceable, this crappy design was done on purpose, so they could sell new cables to their customers on a regular basis.

Jun 7, 2002 at 5:51 PM Post #9 of 11
Send a Private Message, pm icon between 'profile' and 'search'.

Jun 7, 2002 at 6:24 PM Post #10 of 11
My HD600's are nearly a year old.

Cats chew on the cables, slammed cables in file drawer, stepped on them numerous times, hung on the corner of my desk and jerked them off my head a bunch, especially when I lean back to reach the printer.

So far, not the first hint of a problem. Just make sure they're plugged in correctly and lean back and enjoy.

You may not like the 590. From what I hear, it's awfully bright and not as comfortable.

Unless you're going to at least a Cosmic class amp, stock cables are great and being as flexible and light as they are, they're more comfortable if you move around much. Some people are too obsessed with equipment, and "tweaking", to relax and enjoy LISTENING.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back