Senn. 580 or 590?
Nov 29, 2003 at 2:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Gouki

Head-Fier
Hi people,

Last time I posted, it was about the Sony EGGOs 66sl.

Well since then, I've gotten the EGGOs and last month, I got the MDR CD3000
biggrin.gif

I use the EGGOs with my mp3 handphone, and they are pretty adequate for portable use.

My CD3000s are used at home with my computer.

Now, I'm just curious about getting another pair of Senns. (I have the not-too-sucky 570 Symphony) because they are getting cheaper (Senn. 650 is here which brings the prices down a bit).

I like the 590 because its newer than the 580 and it has the same design as the 570s (they are very comfortable).

I don't know too much about the 580, except I know that they are harder to drive than the 590s.

So, which is better for me to replace my 570?

Thanks once again. The CD3000s are great, they sound like speakers to me, very strong and responsive, much more willing than the 570s and EGGOs out of the same sources. I think I still want to enjoy the sounds of an OPEN headphone since the CD3000s are CLOSED and I do not want to use them too much!

Nov 29, 2003 at 2:16 AM Post #2 of 6
HD580 is much harder to drive than the HD590, so if you don't plan on getting an amp, don't get the HD580. However, HD580 is the headphone with the signature Sennheiser sound, so if you want to experience what the Sennhesier sound is all about, the HD590 is not a very accurate representation of it.

However, that doesn't mean the HD590 is not a good pair of headphone as well. The major flaw of the HD590 is that although it's easier driven by various sources without an amp, its sound characteristic doesn't change much with the addition of an amp.

HD590 sounds better than HD580 unamped, but once you got a good amp on the HD580, they will take the sound much farther than you can with a HD590 + amp.

Either way, your CD3000 is really better than both of these headphones, so perhaps you should just take that money and invest it towards an amp for your CD3000.

Nov 29, 2003 at 2:31 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by lindrone
HD580 is much harder to drive than the HD590, so if you don't plan on getting an amp, don't get the HD580. However, HD580 is the headphone with the signature Sennheiser sound, so if you want to experience what the Sennhesier sound is all about, the HD590 is not a very accurate representation of it.

However, that doesn't mean the HD590 is not a good pair of headphone as well. The major flaw of the HD590 is that although it's easier driven by various sources without an amp, its sound characteristic doesn't change much with the addition of an amp.

HD590 sounds better than HD580 unamped, but once you got a good amp on the HD580, they will take the sound much farther than you can with a HD590 + amp.

Either way, your CD3000 is really better than both of these headphones, so perhaps you should just take that money and invest it towards an amp for your CD3000.

Everybpdy always says that about the HD580 over the HD590- and maybe I haven't listened to the HD580 or HD600 enough- but I actually don't like them for most of the kinds of music I listen to. For classical and many forms of jazz I think the HD600 are sublime- like liquid audio velvet- but they sound *way* too laid back, IMHO for rock.

The addiction in me is building. If I get the fellowship I applied for, then I think a pair of Beyerdynamic DT880s and a pair of Grado SR225's may be in my future... along with a headphone amp..
smily_headphones1.gif
Right now my desktop image is a pair of the Beyerdynamic DT880s.
And a new pair of speakers.. and a new pre-amp/amp
smily_headphones1.gif
Wish me luck!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 29, 2003 at 2:51 AM Post #6 of 6
The reason you stated is exactly why people either love or hate the Sennheiser. There are people who falls in love with that velvety, liquidy sound, and there are people who simply find it "not enough" for them. Regardless, if you truly want to experience a different sound, HD580/600 is it, but you have to get amps for them...

Now, if you like the sound or not is an entirely different matter. If you get them, just be prepared to sell them if you don't like them (keep the box). Still, either way an amp has to come first, so you may well get an amp that'll be good for your CD3000.

Also remember, "open-air" is not automatically better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back