Senn 558 vs. m50 vs. grado sr60 or something else for home ?
Nov 28, 2012 at 1:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

martinrajdl

100+ Head-Fier
Hello, so for year a was using the klipsch image one and i like them, but now i was thinking of getting something nicer. I was thinking about audio technica ath-m50 or Sennheiser hd 558 or maybe 598 or grados SR80i or SR60i but i am opened to other options. I live in Czech republic and prices are quite different here ... ath-m50 equal about 200 bucks, 558 something about 150, 598 about 200 and grados are 130 and 180 and i am looking for something under 200 bucks. 
My entire music library is in lossless format and i listen to things like The Beatles, Coldplay, The shins mostly stuff like that, but a also enjoy listening to more bassier stuff like David Guetta ( but just sometimes).
I will be powering those headphones by macbook pro and i am opened to buying amp later if it necessary, and they will be used mostly ( or just) at home. (by the way, i definitely dont want noise canceling headphones, i have creative aurvana x-fi and i hate them) 
So suggestions will be extremely appreciated and i hope you can help me somehow and i am also sorry for my bad english, i'm not speaking english natively. 

Nov 28, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:
Hello, so for year a was using the klipsch image one and i like them, but now i was thinking of getting something nicer. I was thinking about Tudio Technica ath-m50 or Sennheiser hd 558 or maybe 598 or grados SR80i or SR60i but i am opened to other options. I live in Czech republic and prices are quite different here ... ath-m50 equal about 200 bucks, 558 something about 150, 598 about 200 and grados are 130 and 180 and i am looking for something under 200 bucks. 
My entire music library is in lossless format and i listen to things like The Beatles, Coldplay, The shins mostly stuff like that, but a also enjoy listening to more bassier stuff like David Guetta ( but just sometimes).
I will be powering those headphones by macbook pro and i am opened to buying amp later if it necessary, and they will be used mostly ( or just) at home. (by the way, i definitely dont want noise canceling headphones, i have creative aurvana x-fi and i hate them) 
So suggestions will be extremely appreciated and i hope you can help me somehow and i am also sorry for my bad english, i'm not speaking english natively. 

I would say go for the HD558s, maybe get a good price on used ones.

Nov 28, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:
Hello, so for year a was using the klipsch image one and i like them, but now i was thinking of getting something nicer. I was thinking about audio technica ath-m50 or Sennheiser hd 558 or maybe 598 or grados SR80i or SR60i but i am opened to other options. I live in Czech republic and prices are quite different here ... ath-m50 equal about 200 bucks, 558 something about 150, 598 about 200 and grados are 130 and 180 and i am looking for something under 200 bucks. 

I'd get the 598 if you can afford it but if you want to save some bucks, get the 558. 

Dec 1, 2012 at 9:09 AM Post #6 of 6
Thanks so much for your replies, it helped alot, i'll probably go with the HD558, but how do they compare to SR80i ? i havent found comparison between the two. I also wonder if you could recommend the Beyerdynamics DT990 pro (2005 version) over the HD558 or do you have any other recommendations? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back