Senn 497 and a simple computer & Sensaura
Feb 5, 2004 at 11:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

(yo_alexandru

100+ Head-Fier
I have a computer with a MSI 875P NEO mainboard with sound onbord in colabotion with Sensaura - do you think the Senn 497 will do its best. - maybe with an amp - AirHead 'couse this is all I can afford right now, or a better secondhand amp?

http://www.msi.com....detail.php?UID=434

• 6 channels ADI 1980/1985 software audio codec
- Compliance with AC97 v2.2 Spec (for 1980) / PC99 v2.3 Spec (for 1985).
- Meet PC2001 audio performance requirement.
- Can support SPDIF Out via SPDIF-Bracket only Thanks

I use many payers but must of time the last version of PowerDVD that have some special things for headphones

biggrin.gif
Thanks & H@LL@!

Feb 5, 2004 at 10:30 PM Post #2 of 5
With the HD 497 from onboard computer sound, I do not think a headphone amp should be your next purchase. I have the 497s, but I'm not at all familiar with your onboard sound chip. But unless it is a lot better than most onboard sound chips, I think your next upgrade should be a respectable sound card (assuming that you wish to use your computer as your source). These headphones are not hard to drive like some of the higher Sennheiser models. You may some improvement from a headphone amp, but I think a better source would be the first thing to try.

Now, if you also wish to use these headphones with a portable CD player, then a portable amp might make sense for your next upgrade.

Feb 6, 2004 at 7:53 AM Post #3 of 5
oh I have a soundboard a Yamaha one
biggrin.gif
- I was just wondering if some of you have or know somthing about this chip set made with Sensaura - ' couse first time I listen through it sounded incredible for an onboard sound

any opinions on this
biggrin.gif

ya and what about your Senn497 - sounds good - I only have them for 2 day and I don't wont to jump to conclusion although it sound interesting

600smile.gif
H@LL@!

Feb 6, 2004 at 8:10 AM Post #4 of 5
An amp will improve the HD497, but unless you are planning to upgrade your cans later then I would hold off on an amp. As Rempert mentioned, a source upgrade would get you a little more bang for your buck. AC97 onboard sound is hardly the best thing available and amping it won't help a whole lot except allow you to hear the flaws easier. If you get a higher-quality sound card and/or standalone CD player then an amp might be justified. FWIW, I was able to easily tell the upgrade from my cheapo DIY amp to the PIMETA I built with these cans, as well as being able to tell the difference between cables connecting my CD player to my amp more easily than I expected. These cans can handle a surprising amount of upstream component upgrades but mine have so far only been on the budget end.

Feb 6, 2004 at 8:27 AM Post #5 of 5
I have a Yamaha soundbord - but I was interesting in any opinion on thi onboard sound from MSI (875P NEO) & 497 if any one own them
biggrin.gif

anyway thanks

what amp will do the best for Senn497 with a decent source (and $ much ?)
biggrin.gif

Thanks & H@LL@!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back