Senn 414 pad mod for Grados - creative color choices?
Apr 8, 2003 at 8:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

blessingx

HeadFest '07 Graphic Designer
Supplier of fine logos! His visions of Head-Fi
Just received my 414 pads from Sennheiser. Getting ready to dye them.

For those that have tried this mod (or any other mods) for your Grados, got any interesting color, etc. choices? Any photos?

Just curious if anyone has gone weird (well weirder then that stock yellow). Will probably go Rit black, but want to keep the options open.

Anyone gone creative?

Apr 8, 2003 at 11:22 PM Post #2 of 21
Ferrari Red ?

British Racing Green ?

Barney Purple ?
tongue.gif

Apr 8, 2003 at 11:53 PM Post #3 of 21
For lots of color ideas go to a local fabric shop and see what colors they have. Then figure out how to mix them to come up with creative colors on your own.

Apr 9, 2003 at 1:30 AM Post #6 of 21
you can tye-dye it by just mushing it up, wrapping it in rubber bands, and dipping different parts in different colored dye. hipee-stylee

Apr 9, 2003 at 2:54 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by mclaren20
RAINBOW!!!

Deep Purple !

[size=xx-small]Oh, sorry...
tongue.gif
[/size]

Apr 9, 2003 at 3:56 AM Post #10 of 21
I'd have to go for a dark gray color. The pads will match my grado/receiver!

Apr 9, 2003 at 6:04 AM Post #11 of 21
Hey.. what's wrong with stock yellow?
biggrin.gif

Anyhow, me, being the not very creative person I am, would probably just go for black.. Either that, or maybe silver/platinum-ish color.. to match my HP-2's...
biggrin.gif

I think I might just do that.. maybe it'll look ugly, but hey.. I can always re-dye them another color.
cool.gif

Apr 13, 2003 at 1:35 AM Post #12 of 21
Just got my pads yesterday, good thing I ordered 3 pairs because cutting the hole didn't go so well on the first couple attempts, but the screwups make for good coloring samples
wink.gif

Stock yellow
senn_pad_yellow.jpg

30 min of 50/50 bleach (sorta light pumpkin, this would be good for the halloween grados); and 60 min of 100 mL H2O, 10 mL NaCl, and 10 mL Rit #10 Wine dye (sorry, this doesn't show up with my poor camera, it's a deep burgandy)
senn_pad_bleach_wine.jpg

All three together
senn_pad_threesome.jpg

Finally, here's the hole punch I used, a sharpened 1 1/2" copper pipe cap. Got it for a little over a dollar at the local hardware store, did the roughing out on a belt sander and finished it up with some hand filing and fine sand paper.
senn_pad_hole_punch.jpg

Personally, I like the bleached, but I'll wait a while before coloring the others in case I change my mind. And black is always a fallback...

Apr 13, 2003 at 7:51 AM Post #14 of 21
Looking good. Like the wine.

Yeah, I had big problems with cutting the hole also. After couple of failed attempts with a razor, I used the metal lid off a salt shaker (diner type) to hammer through. Lid no longer looks much like it did, but sacrifices must be made.

Have you tried mounting the 414's in reverse? That's how I got the best sound out of my SR80's (thanks to someone here suggesting it, the name escapes me now).

Apr 13, 2003 at 8:12 AM Post #15 of 21
yup, I've been using these guys in reverse on both my rs1s and 80s and I'm really enjoying it over the normal placement and bowls. Since its on backwards, I don't even bother trying to cut a neat hole...toook out a scissor and trimmed something that looked like one...
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back