Senheisser CX 300 -- can it really be THIS muffled?
Nov 8, 2008 at 7:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

DunninLA

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm new to portable so I don't have much to compare the CX 300s I bought on ebay with much else besides my Sennheiser HD 560 w. 650 cable, and a new HD 580 with Headphile cable. Brand New Sennheiser CX300 Black Headphones - eBay (item 280275709039 end time Oct-14-08 22:46:19 PDT)

I also bought a few $5-$7 buds to see what those are like: three from Panasonic. These all sound reasonably balanced out of an iTouch Gen1, and a 30 year old Sony ES cd player with a decent headphone out. Sometimes I do use the Touch's "Bass Boost" eq selection on the buds. I also bought the Sennheiser PX 100 and a $10 Panasonic on top of the ear foam type. I can find something I like about every phone for its price point ....

But not these CX300s. they sound like the band is in another room altogther. With the Touch's Treble Booster they actually sound OK, but still very pulled back mids/highs. OK I guess for very extended listening since they appear to be sins of ommission rather than commission (they are not irritating in any way).

so, could these be fakes? I've looked carefully at the packaging and the phones themselves and the phones seem identical to those on the TTVJ website for $60.

Is it possible they're real and the CX 300s really sound that muffled? Or maybe Sennheiser's quality control takes phones that messed up and distribute them through ebay sellers??

I considered the possibility that maybe my ears are losing HF sensitivity except for the fact that I find a lot of phones too bright!

Thanks.

Nov 8, 2008 at 7:56 PM Post #2 of 12
going from high end headphones to low end ones is always going to be painful, id never go back to using low quality (cx300) headphones for everyday use.

this is why its different for unfortunate folks that stay with the stock phones. what are they missing out on eh?? lol

so my answer is yeh the cx300 really is that muffled, but again for those that have only ever had cx300's those poor soles dont know how much better it really can get

Nov 8, 2008 at 8:03 PM Post #3 of 12
I'd bet my bottom dollar that those are fakes. Don't worry though, because I've owned the fakes and the real CX300 and both versions are absolute and total rubbish.

Nov 8, 2008 at 8:20 PM Post #4 of 12
The people that make the fakes have been reading our threads and have fixed all the little things we used to look for when searching out the real thing.
So the short answer is Nobody Knows!!

And anyone who has asked Sennheiser get's the same answer

" Yes they're fake! Only buy from Authorized Sennheiser Dealers" But there's a little conflict of interest there. And often buying from an authorized dealer means spendng 2 of 3 times more for them. The originals can be had cheaper than normal retail but usualy form overseas sellers who through differences in exchange rates and import tarrfis can often buy even the real thing at a substantial discount over what we pay here in the US. and thier cost of living is such that what they feel is a good profit may seem inadaquate her in the states.

they're so cheap it's not a bad gamble and if you like, them you like them. If you don't, you don't. Real or fake.

I got some CX300's from an eBay seller for 14.95 + 5USD shipping. They are great. And passed all of the tests I could find at that time ( 1.5 yrs ago) to check for fakes.

But I could have sworn that the CX500's I got recently were not real but everyone else disagrees with me so me telling you not to buy them is really not fair.

Cheap?? Give em a try. You might like them. But not if you compare them in any way to your other cans

Edit: PS Senn's IEM's They need a long Burn-in 72hrs or more

Nov 8, 2008 at 8:22 PM Post #5 of 12
About those CX300;
Yep, you bought fakes. Any word about manufacturer warranty in listing ? ...Nope.
The real ones are not that terribly bad. Of course real ones are also very bassy, but for sure better than any ear buds in 5-10 $ range.

Nov 9, 2008 at 4:27 AM Post #6 of 12
Class A counterfeits should sound relatively the same.

Nov 9, 2008 at 11:00 AM Post #9 of 12
Your ears are fine and they're probably not fakes. They are that bad and yes you can find 10-15$ buds that sound better overall. I've heard original and personally liked k314p much more, as most of the folks that tried them both here.

Nov 9, 2008 at 9:07 PM Post #10 of 12
My ones are awfully distorted, but they're pretty shot, I have to turn the balance on my phone well over to the left to make left and right be at about the same volume.

I hate them, they sound awful coming from even some CK7's, which are only about £30 more RRP.

Nov 9, 2008 at 10:52 PM Post #11 of 12
my gf owns the cx500 and they are ok, but after about 4 months now they are starting to distort.

honestly i like senn cx phones but you really need to aim for some cx95 or better for long lasting decent sound

Nov 10, 2008 at 4:18 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duffy1207 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My ones are awfully distorted, but they're pretty shot, I have to turn the balance on my phone well over to the left to make left and right be at about the same volume.

I hate them, they sound awful coming from even some CK7's, which are only about £30 more RRP.

Man, I thought I was the only one who was having this problem. My CX300s are also off-balance, the sound being just slightly to the right of center. I tried to live with it for a week or so, burning it in with pink noise (and shifting the balance slightly to the left while doing so in hopes it would do *something*), but a few switching of the buds between my ears confirmed the problem was permanent. It really wasn't worth sending these back so I just use these as sleep phones.

I also believe they DO sound that muffled. The CX300 is all bloat and no highs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back