Senheiser HD 25 varients
Aug 27, 2012 at 2:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

sam-c

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

Someone suggested the Senheiser HD 25s to me but I see there are several varients: HD 25-1 II, HD 25-1 II BE and the HD 25 SP II. There maybe more but these are the ones I've discovered so far.

I was just wondering what the difference is? 

Thanks

Sam

Aug 27, 2012 at 3:55 PM Post #2 of 9
The SP is a cheaper variant, that doesn't have the split head band, the cups attach differently if I remember correctly and don't pivot as much I think, and the driver is not quite as capable.  I'd avoid these, personally.

The HD25-1-II is the "main" variant.  This is the one most people are referring to and probably the one recommended to you.

I'm not sure what the "BE" is.

There's another, the Adidas Originals HD25-1-II, which is functionally identical to the HD25-1-II's but with some light blue cosmetic touches, and co-branded by Adidas and Sennheiser. 

There's yet one more that are very rare and have a much higher input impedence, I think around 300 or 600 ohm but I forget which. 

I'd aim for the basic HD25-1-II's personally.  Or the adidas if you like the style (that's what I've got).

Aug 30, 2012 at 5:27 AM Post #3 of 9
One thing about the cheaper ones (iirc 'SP' as you mention) is that the drivers are lower impedance, so they might not 'need' the headphone amp that is often recommended with the 70ohm ones. It seems they don't have the impedance written on the outside, but I have a memory of them being much lower.

Another advantage is that you can rotate the cups completely around and just hold them to your head...I guess that might be important to some.

Aug 30, 2012 at 5:37 AM Post #4 of 9
I can speak about the BE--I ordered one about a year ago.

It's "Basic Edition". AFAIK the HD 25-1 II used to be packaged with spare velour pads and a drawstring bag; the Basic Edition doesn't.

Aug 30, 2012 at 5:59 AM Post #7 of 9
Hi guys, thanks for all your help. However, after trying several different on-ear headphones I came to the conclusion that the noise isolation wasn't good enough and I got the impression that after a while I would get annoyed with them. After a lot of research I think I may opt for the AKG K550s with a portable amp :)

Sam

Aug 30, 2012 at 6:06 AM Post #8 of 9
I would ask you to reconsider, if you want the portability. The HD 25-1 and Beyerdynamic's DT1350 isolate unlike any on-ear--as good as any silicon or foam-tipped IEM, in fact.

IMHO the DT1350 is also much more comfortable. The HD 25-1 can grip quite hard, which is the only reason I sold mine.

Aug 30, 2012 at 6:17 AM Post #9 of 9
Hmm thanks for your recommendations, portability isn't so much of a problem (another reason for reconsidering) but I will try and demo both of these first, however demoing products is not easy as hardly anywhere stocks hi-end headphones annoyingly! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back