SendStation introduces the PocketDock LineOut Mini
Aug 26, 2009 at 4:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

majid

500+ Head-Fier
About 3 1/2 years ago I purchased a SendStation PocketDock Line Out, one of the first compact line-out adapters for the iPod, with a standard USB B receptacle thrown in for good measure. Unfortunately, it is not compatible with the iPhone because of how Apple now requires accessory makers to include a decryption chip so they can extract their pound of flesh from the ecosystem.

Apparently SendStation recently introduced a new, smaller dock that is compatible with the iPhone and uses a Mini-USB jack instead of the bulkier Type B:

SendStation - Products - PocketDock Line Mini Out USB

pdlomusb_stage.jpg

Note: I have no connection to SendStation apart from being a satisfied customer of theirs.

Aug 28, 2009 at 3:58 AM Post #2 of 26
Ordered one two days ago for my iPod Touch. Looks like a convenient little adapter. I like the mini USB port.

Aug 28, 2009 at 7:28 AM Post #5 of 26
I have the PocketDock LineOut Mini. They have actually been selling for a while, but not promoted it on the web page. It's a nice little product and works fine with my Ipod Classic.

Aug 28, 2009 at 12:13 PM Post #6 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by phototristan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wait, I had a SendStation PocketDock and it worked fine with the iPhone...

They may have silently updated the product, because I got mine in January 2006, it works fine with my 80GB iPod 5G and my wife'd iPod Touch 1G, but not with either our iPhone 3G or 3GS.

Aug 28, 2009 at 12:26 PM Post #7 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by majid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They may have silently updated the product, because I got mine in January 2006, it works fine with my 80GB iPod 5G and my wife'd iPod Touch 1G, but not with either our iPhone 3G or 3GS.

Perhaps. I know the Firewire version likely doesn't with the iPhone but the USB version I never had a problem with.

Aug 28, 2009 at 2:24 PM Post #9 of 26
So. from what i read, what this thing does is makes a line out from the dock connection on the ipod. (And also has the usb so that u dont need to carry the ipod cable, but instead you can use the more popular usb mini cable that lots of devices use already {ps3 controllers, usb hubs, external hard drives, other mp3 players etc etc}) So since this is a line out from the dock connection on the ipod, you would need an amp to to change volume etc? Or am i wrong about that?
This is what i'm thinking:
Ipod -> PocketDock -> FiiO mini amp-> Headphones
and the quality should sound better with this set up correct?

I've been looking around and read up on those ALO ipod line outs, but they're a bit pricey. $30 i can deal with for the sendstation

Aug 28, 2009 at 4:19 PM Post #11 of 26
I have one on order. Somebody here posted they have one...is it the one with the mini usb?

Fortunately, I have a car power adaptor to usb...and I think I have some extra usb to mini cables lying around.

As I understand it, the old usb version worked with the iphone, but gave the irritating error message about "this device not made for iphone use airplane mode blah blah
blah".

Aug 28, 2009 at 4:51 PM Post #13 of 26
I wonder how they'll sound with FLAC and a mini amp on high end headphones. I'm thinking:
5G 30GB Video Ipod->PocketDock LineOut Mini->FiiO mini amp->HD 595

Aug 28, 2009 at 11:06 PM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by baxbunny /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder how they'll sound with FLAC and a mini amp on high end headphones. I'm thinking:
5G 30GB Video Ipod->PocketDock LineOut Mini->FiiO mini amp->HD 595

Certainly way better than using the headphone out.

Aug 29, 2009 at 12:48 AM Post #15 of 26
Hmm, I saw this and got excited at first, but I am not sure it will make too much of a difference to the average ear. I mean, isn't just a FiiO E5 mini amp enough to get better quality out of an iPod Nano/Touch or iPhone?

Any technical details or test results would be appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back