Sending your DAP for repair - do you delete all content first?
Jun 16, 2007 at 2:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

MetalManCPA

500+ Head-Fier
If your DAP needs repair, would (or have you) erased all contetn before sending? Probably a stupid question, but I'm just curious.

I will the first time I have to send my DAP for repair

Jun 16, 2007 at 3:34 AM Post #3 of 16
I would definitely delete it, they probably steal your music not cool. And if you happen to store some raunchy or otherwise naughty stuff...

Jun 16, 2007 at 3:54 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why would you? Its not necessary unless they ask for it!

i think it's just convenient for them, so they don't have to do it if they want to save the HDD or something.

Jun 16, 2007 at 4:39 AM Post #7 of 16
Well the only things I have on my mp3 player is music and arrested development and the office shows.

Toshiba (where I sent it in for repair) didnt erase my stuff when I sent it in for repair

Jun 16, 2007 at 5:03 AM Post #8 of 16
I backed up all my music, then sent my DAP in with my single favorite album at the time (figuring that they'd delete it anyway). It came back with the music still on it
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 16, 2007 at 7:36 AM Post #10 of 16
I have all my music backed up.
So I would certainly ship out my DAP fully loaded with music.

Jun 18, 2007 at 5:44 AM Post #11 of 16
I would erase all the data on it if I could, no doubt about that. Of course sometimes its not that easy, it really depends on what the fault is.

Best bet, *only* keep music on it. Keep nothing personal on any device that could be easily lost or stolen, you never know who may find it. Same thing for sending stuff in for repairs.

The only thing I would keep on there except for music would be a text file or image with details on how it could be returned to you if you lose it. But that can be a privacy matter in itself.

Jun 18, 2007 at 12:14 PM Post #12 of 16
My problem is my "fear" of getting in trouble having some "illegal" MP3's. I'll admit I have Napster downloads and that not all of my music was ripped from my own store bought CD's (I have close to 500 CD's).

Jun 18, 2007 at 4:28 PM Post #13 of 16
I think it may be either my paranoia or OCD, but I'll always delete it. Put it this way, I had a WD HDD that started clicking. So obviously I couldn't access it to erase the data. So what did I do? I got out my hefty electromagnet and zapped the data off it. Then I RMA'd it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back