sending sound wirelessly to AE5 speakers? what to buy
Jun 22, 2009 at 7:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

BoxBoxBox

Aka: AndrewG
Has anyone used this technology? There seems to be a $150 solution to send your computer sound wirelessly to audio engine speakers, and another $150 solution for the ipod to speakers. Is there some third party device that would do both, or that has a better price?

Is there any loss in sound quality in doing wireless?

Jun 22, 2009 at 8:34 PM Post #2 of 15
$150 for ipod to speakers? A dock straight from apple is $50, + a 3.5mm cable (cheap or free).

An airport express to stream music to is $99. The airport express is bit perfect at the digital out, and I think the dac sounds fine.

US prices - your profile doesn't specify where you are.

Jun 23, 2009 at 2:47 PM Post #3 of 15
+1 on the AirPort Express.
Allowing you bit-perfect optical S/PDIF output, or analog if you prefer so.

Jun 24, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by wotblake /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there a way to send FLAC to airport express?

Sadly not!
iTunes can play FLAC, with the help of add-on components, but it will only play through local speakers. Regardless if yous et it to use AirTunes

Jun 24, 2009 at 11:11 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by wotblake /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does this program work well? (airfoil)

Airfoil Airport Express streaming comes to Windows

+1 for Airfoil. It basically takes any audio in the system (not just iTunes) and routes it via Airtunes to an Airport Express. So if you want to use Play or other Mac OS X music players, no problem.

I've used it for quite some time, never a hitch, and you can easily select what devices, or music apps you want to 'hijack' and sent via Airtunes, or simply select all system audio.

It sucks for video though (huge latency), so forget about using it to route youtube audio to your audio rig, while watching the video on your computer.

Jun 24, 2009 at 11:14 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by BoxBoxBox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think airport express only works with itunes, that is why I was looking at AE's solution since it works with any sound output from CPU and not just itunes

I use Airfoil and Airport Express (attached directly to the back of the AE5).

Wouldn't even consider the AE solution, even though I'm a happy customer of both AE5 and it's little brother (AE3 or 2, I forget).

Jun 25, 2009 at 2:36 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by cfmsp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wouldn't even consider the AE solution, even though I'm a happy customer of both AE5 and it's little brother (AE3 or 2, I forget).

AE as in AirPort Express or AE5?

Jun 25, 2009 at 7:41 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AE as in AirPort Express or AE5?

Apologies for lack of clarity.

I wouldn't consider the Audio Engine wireless solution, I've quite happy with Airport Express / Airfoil combo and one pair each of the Audio Engine AE5 and AE2.

Jun 25, 2009 at 11:29 PM Post #12 of 15
I have Audioengine A5s and the AW1 transmitter / receiver pair. I normally use the AW1 with other speakers where it works without problems.

Based on my use:
AW1 - looks like an additional audio output device when I plug in the USB connector to my PC. I can still use other audio devices (at the same time.) No hassle, no messing around.

Based on reading literature from Apple and Rogue s/w some time ago:

Airport Express - specific to iTunes.
+ airfoil - works with any player s/w that outputs to the default audio device through Waveout (or DirectSound) interfaces. It intercepts output to the default audio device so you can't use that device until you tell Airfoil to release default audio output. A s/w solution to what should be a simple h/w problem.

I use Windows PCs rather than Macs so my comments are about that use.

Bill

Jun 25, 2009 at 11:47 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by cfmsp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
+1 for Airfoil. It basically takes any audio in the system (not just iTunes) and routes it via Airtunes to an Airport Express. So if you want to use Play or other Mac OS X music players, no problem.

I've used it for quite some time, never a hitch, and you can easily select what devices, or music apps you want to 'hijack' and sent via Airtunes, or simply select all system audio.

It sucks for video though (huge latency), so forget about using it to route youtube audio to your audio rig, while watching the video on your computer.

Thanks for the info.

Jun 26, 2009 at 12:58 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by BoxBoxBox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think airport express only works with itunes, that is why I was looking at AE's solution since it works with any sound output from CPU and not just itunes

I remember there was a sort of a wireless sound blaster for iTunes announced some time ago. Interestingly it was said to work with any audio source not only iTunes.

Edit: amazon has it.

Jun 26, 2009 at 1:09 PM Post #15 of 15
i use audioengines W1 sender/receiver pair, and its been flawless for me sending CD-quality HD stereo from rega planet to audioengine A5 speakers in the media room.

i have LOTS of wireless devices in the usual 2.4ghz and 5.8ghz range and have suffered ZERO interference. i think this is the best wireless sender out there as it has no issues and is plug and play with no setup required

i am very impressed with their product quality and ease of use.

pricey but worth every penny if you want uninterupted HQ audio transmission.

sorry if that sounds like i am from audioengine, but quality items deserve a good writeup sometimes!
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back