Sending ifp-899 back for the 3rd time!
Jan 31, 2006 at 10:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Lisa

Headphoneus Supremus
My iRiver ifp-899 broke after a couple of months of use. The mp3s stopped halfway of the song. The player turned off, turned on again and started with the next song. This happened with my complete mp3 collection. Not every time but every 3 songs or so, sometimes everything goes right for an hour and it starts to act up again.

So I updated the firmware but that didn't help. Send it in and got it back > 2 months later saying that they fixed it by updating the firmware. But of course it wasn't fixed.

So I called and said that it wasn't fixed at all and could they please exhange it for a new player if it would take so long again for them to (not) fix it.

A week later I get back another player. Obviously a second hand one. There were files on it that aren't there from the factory and it smelled of aftershave bad. I'm allergic to aftershave so I had to air it out for a while.
I started using it yesterday, thinking that if it works it'll be OK. (It looks like new) But it has the exact same problem.

So I call again. Explain the problem again. They say it's my mp3s. So I tell them that it's with all my mp3s that I've encoded alt-preset-standard with CDex. A well know program and a bitrate that is practically standard these days. That I've tried these mp3s on my old iriver imp-150 and my old iriver ifp180 and they give no problems there.
They tell me that the bitrate is too high! I should re-encode my entire collection at 128kbps!
eek.gif
I tell them that that's too low a quality for me. I use high quality headphones and that the ifp-899 should be able to handle up to 320 kbps so 192 shouldn't be a problem. And again I stress that my mp3s work fine on my old players.

Reluctantly they let me send it back again, telling me that they'll take a closer look this time. They should have done that the first time. I also ask them if I could swap players for another model or something but they refuse. I mean, two different players, both the same defect.

Well at the end, at least I got an apology for the inconvience so at least that something.

Anyway, back it goes again. Shipping costs are up to €18 already. It's getting to be an expensive annoyance this player.

/rant.
Sorry

P.S. For all the Dutch viewers, this experiance is with mp3man.nl

Users who are viewing this thread

Back