Sending DT770 for warranty-yet again looking for headphones...
Feb 2, 2009 at 11:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ERSTD

New Head-Fier
Sending DT770 for warranty
i got to have headphones at all time
biggrin.gif

So i decided to shop around for pair that i would either test drive/enjoy for abit and either keep or pass it on to family member
biggrin.gif

Requirements are pretty simple...
Same or better Bass than DT770, sorry i'm a basshead...
i'm considering:

Audio-Technica ATH-A900
Denon AH-D2000

Audio-Technica ATH-PRO700LTD
Allen&Heath Xone XD-53

Thanks in advance!!

Feb 2, 2009 at 1:29 PM Post #2 of 9
A900 bass is ok, i rather enjoyed mine when i had them. But i think you would probably want more, the D2000 would be a better choice for this i think
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 2, 2009 at 2:34 PM Post #3 of 9
the D2000 seems quite popular for bass, but i'd recomend looking at something from sennheiser (cant remember the specific model) where the bass is quite strong, but its a smoother bass... two cans with very similar bass serves no point imho...
PS how did you break a 770 oO

Feb 2, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #4 of 9
They are no bass monsters but Grados fit the bill if you are looking for headphones for 'in the meantime'.
You will enjoy them I am sure.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 2, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #5 of 9
You can scratch the A900 off the list. It sounds anemic and artificial compared to a DT770.

By the way - why are you sending them in for warranty repair?

Feb 2, 2009 at 7:02 PM Post #6 of 9
Forgot to add but probably you can see that all the models i listed are type: Closed...
Ericj, hard to say, i'm not a technician, just a listener...It feels like Left speaker hosing becoming too lose or the speaker itself is going bad...
apatN, what model of Grados would you recommend...?!

Everyone, thank you very much for the replies!!
Also wanted to add:
If the headphones will be pass on to family member, they got to sound good without amp...hence why all the models i listed are <80ohms of Impedance
Another reason i choose those models is because their specification is close to DT770s...
But i'm open for any other brands&models, since head-fi forum recommended me DT770, and that recommendation kept me very happy for year or so...
Looking forward for more replies
Thanks in advance!!

Feb 2, 2009 at 7:38 PM Post #7 of 9
You might be happy with the equation RP-22x - plenty of deep bass there, and likely clearer mids than the dt770, if the rp-21 is any indication (and they are close relatives)

Feb 2, 2009 at 8:43 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by ERSTD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
apatN, what model of Grados would you recommend...?!

Well I think a simple SR-60 will do. It will keep you toe tapping until you have your headphones fixed.
It is but an idea of course.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 2, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #9 of 9
I have DT770's pro 80 and love the bass too.
I also have a pair of Ear Equation RP-21's - Not heard the 22's. These are a bit more forward in the mids and highs and i fancy resolve complex / fast music better than the 770's. They are little bit less weighty bass wise but not bad at all. I switch between the two depending on music type but seem to be wearing the RP21's more and more
L3000.gif
John Entwistle's bass licks never sounded so punchy and fast!
I found the source needs to be upto scratch on them - 12V accumulator powering my Dac helped a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back