sending back shure e3c in warranty
Jan 19, 2006 at 10:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

phantom power

New Head-Fier
hi,

i'm in the uk and have shure e3cs with a dodgy cable that makes the sound flicker when it's at a certain angle in my ear and when i move the cable.. also ages ago the white nozzles came off on both earphones but i didn't realise this would effect the warranty so i glued them back on myself.. i noticed now that it says in the warranty that they do not accept unauthorised repair.. do you think they will tolerate this?

also, what do i include when i send the phones back.. all the original packaging?

cheers

dunc

Jan 19, 2006 at 10:54 PM Post #2 of 35
I believe you should contact them first for the repair. They will give you furthor instructions. Most of the time, just everything that are in the original packaging + proof of purchase, and you will receive a brand new Shure earphone in few weeks.

Jan 19, 2006 at 11:26 PM Post #4 of 35
I will mention the nozzles came off, and glueing back does not work. And you are therefore, asking for them to repair it.

Jan 20, 2006 at 12:21 AM Post #5 of 35
it did work though.. i can't pull them off again now..

another thing went wrong a while back with the wax removal tool, one of the springs popped out so i put it back in and it always has a hiss in the background.. has anyone else had this?

will shure be funny about me buying the product from ebay?

Jan 20, 2006 at 12:38 AM Post #6 of 35
I have had to return my E3c's three times in the 8 months that I have owned them (mostly in the begining) - due to one thing or another going wrong with them. There warranty/customer service is great - give them a call and tell them your particular facts and they will direct you accordingly.

They do not repair items as with my experience and what I have been told from others. Also, there is a clause in the warranty that says "Authorized Dealers" or somthing to that effect. So I would not necessarly give them the place I bought it from in the intial call -just my opinion. They use the serial number on the jack to track each IEM thay make.

Hope everything works out.

Jan 20, 2006 at 12:46 AM Post #7 of 35
I have also dealt with sending earphones back to Shure at three different occasions. Their customer service is bar none! I didn't have my proof of purchase and each time they have sent me a new pair within a week of me sending them. I believe they use the numbers on the 1/8 jack of the phones to identify manufacture date. See for yourself.

~Mullet

Jan 20, 2006 at 1:28 AM Post #8 of 35
Shure replaces their IEMs very quickly, you shouldn't have too many issues with them at all. (Coming from someone who's sent back E4s.)

Jan 20, 2006 at 2:55 AM Post #9 of 35
I have read complaints about Shure earphone quality control issues here and on Amazon as well as other places.

Yet you guys seem to tout the rapid response of Shure with respect to replacing their poorly made earphones as a reason to buy one.

I don't get it???

Jan 20, 2006 at 3:30 AM Post #10 of 35
IMO the only that makes up for poor quality control is suprior customer service and Shure has that. I felt like I was taken for a ride the 3rd time my E3c's went out - but Shure sent me a new pair with in a week and so far so good. I can understand a bad batch (10,000 units or so) to slip through the QC cracks. But if any business is making defective products they will be out of business soon. That should not be the case for companies like Shure.

Jan 20, 2006 at 4:36 AM Post #11 of 35
But if any business is making defective products they will be out of business soon. That should not be the case for companies like Shure.
===============
Shure is not making their living selling consumer earphones. Get their catalogue and take a look at it.
http://www.shure.com/
The company is not going to go out of business by continuing to make poor quality CONSUMER earphones. Their PSM400 IEM systems are starters for musicians who quickly replace the crappy Shure earphone with something better made like UE, sensaphonics, etc and a custom earmold. The Shure earphones can't hold up to a vocalist moving about on a stage. Open circuits quickly form in one or both channels just from common movement and taking them on and off. Shure makes good on them after they repeatedly break, but any serious musician won't tolerate that for long before they buy something better made.

Feb 8, 2006 at 10:38 PM Post #12 of 35
shall i include all of my accessories too? ive lost some of my rubber tips.. i lose everything
rolleyes.gif

Feb 8, 2006 at 11:14 PM Post #13 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by phantom power
shall i include all of my accessories too? ive lost some of my rubber tips.. i lose everything
rolleyes.gif

No, I literally dropped my e-3c's into an envelope sans tips and anything else and sent them to the address they provided me, had to do this twice now but always recieved a brand new pair as long as the old one were still under warranty.

Feb 9, 2006 at 12:57 AM Post #15 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by craftech
But if any business is making defective products they will be out of business soon. That should not be the case for companies like Shure.
===============
Shure is not making their living selling consumer earphones. Get their catalogue and take a look at it.
http://www.shure.com/
The company is not going to go out of business by continuing to make poor quality CONSUMER earphones. Their PSM400 IEM systems are starters for musicians who quickly replace the crappy Shure earphone with something better made like UE, sensaphonics, etc and a custom earmold. The Shure earphones can't hold up to a vocalist moving about on a stage. Open circuits quickly form in one or both channels just from common movement and taking them on and off. Shure makes good on them after they repeatedly break, but any serious musician won't tolerate that for long before they buy something better made.

Because Shure is a big company that doesn't make IEMs as their primary business makes for all the more reason why the division would go away if there were really that high of a defect rate. Think about it. If you're a small company like Ultimate Ears or Sensaphonics and your products are having problems, it would absolutely ruin you. Of course that means that they'll strive to put out a better product. That doesn't mean, however, that a big company like Shure is going to keep open a division that is losing money. Quite the opposite, it seems to me like the company is pouring a decent amount of money into the division to continue to inovate new products (for example the E500 and PTH modules due out in May, as well as the new E*G line). If the division were having major problems with quality control that were not easily rectifiable, it would simply scrap the division to save its good name and cut its losses.

Please don't take offense, but I think you're taking a few examples of people with problems and blowing them out of proportion. On that note, I could be wrong too, but I just don't see why a company that big would continue to invest in an small area of its business if it were having major problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back