Sen HD 598, recommendations for sound card and an amp
Sep 11, 2018 at 7:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

vanillasnake21

New Head-Fier
I'd like to get some advice on what I need to get the most of these headphones. I just ordered them used and I'd like to be ready by the time they arrive. I know this is a common thread and I did search this forum before posting and found quite a few "Do 598s need amps" questions. And I have read them and know that the consensus is that it's absolutely not required and unnecessary, howver some do say there is a marginal difference. I also read a few threads on here that suggested that a dedicated sound card be used with these cans however I just recently upgraded my mobo with a brand new chipset (2018) and was wondering if I could have a decent on board setup already.

This is my mobo: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-B360M-A/specifications/

This is an excerpt from the Audio spec:
Realtek® ALC887 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC
- Supports : Jack-detection, Front Panel Jack-retasking
Audio Feature :
- LED-illuminated design - Brighten up your build with the gorgeous illuminated audio trace path.
- Audio Shielding: Ensures precision analog/digital separation and greatly reduced multi-lateral interference
- Dedicated audio PCB layers: Separate layers for left and right channels to guard the quality of the sensitive audio signals
- Premium Japanese audio capacitors: Provide warm, natural and immersive sound with exceptional clarity and fidelity
* Choose the chassis with HD audio module in front panel to support 8-channel audio output.

I've also read on these forums that these headphones respond very poorly to high impedance amps, is that true in general? I'm most likely not going to get an amp and a sound card, and if my computer is already good enough I probably won't get anything at all, but can anyone reccomend a really really cheap amp that would work well with these? When I say cheap I mean under $50, around $20 would be excellent (I don't care if I have to order it from ebay/china, no rush there).

Thanks/.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back