Semi portable headphone AM for PC use.
Dec 2, 2012 at 6:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

SoundOfKhaos

New Head-Fier
  Hey guys, been a member for a while. I have been looking to get into DIY audio for a while now. I thought my first project would be a CMOY. After tossing the idea around I decided that a CMOY, while cheap and some what easy to build would be impractical for my uses.

I want a semi cheap DIY amp to use with my PC. I don't want to fiddle with batteries at all really. I want to plug it in, leave it on my desk and "be done with it" so to speak. Size is important, I don't some some massive giant amp. 

I'm actually thinking a PIMETA v2 with no batteries would be perfect, maybe add a cross-feed for giggles.

As I am a total noob to this kind of DIY electronics I want to know if this can be done without too much hassle for a first timer.

Dec 2, 2012 at 6:41 PM Post #2 of 12
I think a PIMETA v2 would be a great choice.
Tangents website has very detailed instructions.
Read through it a couple times and get comfortable
with it before you decide.

Good Luck!

Dec 2, 2012 at 6:49 PM Post #3 of 12
Sweet thanks. I have read his guide a few times. I'm going to read over it and start making up a parts list. I'm sure that I will have some silly questions here and there but it seems to be straight forward enough. Thanks for the luck, I just might need it!

Dec 3, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #4 of 12
Ok, so from the sound of it, the PIMETA v2 would be great! the first thing I want to sort out is the power supply. So here is what I have figured out so far, please interject if I'm going in the wrong direction. Keep in mind this is my first headphone amp of any kind ever. 

So I'm reading on tangentsoft.net about how to build the amp and I have some really noobish questions about powering the device.

The suggested power supply is no longer availible (wm080) I am looking for a 24v power supply to use. any suggestions?

I was going to use all the suggested parts Tangent listed http://tangentsoft.net/audio/pimeta2/plist.html I was going to just stick with his first suggested parts, none of the alt parts. Anyone have any suggestions? anything I should look into changing? I plan to order the parts by friday. The only thing I am changing is the case, I want to use a cse like this one: http://www.hammondmfg.com/1455.htm 

I have two more things I want to clear up as well. First, to make this a wall power only AMP do I just leave the batteries out of it? and just run off the built in power jack+ wall supplies? If that's true what can I eliminate from the buy list? 

Second/last. I want to intergrate a cross feed into the system, The one on tangent's site is no longer an option, any recomdations on a cross feed I could use?

Thanks for taking the time to read my post's and share info by the way, you guys rock! I can't wait to finish this amp and then go get a nice set of headphones to use.

Dec 3, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:
"The Audiologica Power Supply FAQ" should be able to help you locate a PSU------>

http://tangentsoft.net/audio/wall-ps.html

I have a couple cross feed boards in my junks parts box, send a PM if you're interested.

Herp de derp! I could have swore I read that at least twice, I however was so concerned with learning trying to give my self a google education on terms and such I totally missed the bit where he suggests a 24v power supply. 

Seems most of the parts on his part list are discontinued, It's going to take a bit to source them :) I feel like Peanut (Jeff Dunham) right about now lol.

Dec 3, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:
I also have the caps so....

PM'ed.

Any other tips on what parts I can use to substitute would be great

EDIT: Changed my mind a bit. Instead of leaving out the batteries and not populating that section of the boards I decided that I will go ahead and populate the battery section, just in case I decide to use it as a fully portable unit later.

Dec 16, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #9 of 12
Thought I would post back on progress. I have been making a (sad) attempt to track down all the parts for my PEMITAv2 project. A good portion of the stuff listed on Tangentsoft.net are no longer offered for sale. I have been almost raging to try find everything and lastnight I decided "Screw IT" and ordered the stuff for a CMOY with BB and a recharging curcit(from JDSLabs).

Where are you guys finding the stuff to make there PEMITA's?

Dec 19, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #10 of 12
BOMs are not static creatures.
They live and breath and change.

You have to often sub parts that are no longer available
with ones that are.

If you are having problems with a particular part...just ask...

Dec 19, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:
BOMs are not static creatures.
They live and breath and change.

You have to often sub parts that are no longer available
with ones that are.

If you are having problems with a particular part...just ask...

yea, I figured finding replacments was what was needed. But as this is the first project of this caliber its a little difficult tracking down what will work. Most of the stuff on Tangentsoft is WAY over my head, but I'm learning.

Another update. JDSLabs, Digikey and the privet seller have all shipped parts, They have all shown up! The only one left is the package from mouser with the bulk of the CMoyBB parts.

Changing back to doing a CMoy is a good learning experiance so far, I feel its a better step than to try to figure out the PEMITA, that can wait until after the new year.
I will deffinatly be posting my PEMITA's "Final buy checklist" once I compleat it, to make sure all the replacement parts will work. Thanks for the suggestion.

Jan 12, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #12 of 12
Just wanted to report back. My Mouser Box showed up with the rest of the stuff to make my Recharging CMoy BB. It took me about an hour to re-check my parts list and get it all soldered up. This was my first time soldering a PCB, second time soldering so there was a bit of a "learning curve". The back side of the PCB board looks bad, I mean bad! but all solder connection's are solid and I didn't burn up the board! I also messed up my first two Altoids Tin's punching holes(wrong place's). Sounds very nice for such a cheap DIY project. I'm actually impressed with the sound quality and overall quality of the unit.

Now that I know I can solder a PCB with out killing it dead I'm going to work out all the rest of the parts for a PIMETAv2 shortly. I'll post some pic's later. Thanks guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back