Semi-portable amp with energy and kick?
Jun 21, 2006 at 2:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

PaulRivers

100+ Head-Fier
I have to TotalBithead right now, but I'm not sure I notice a real improvement with any of my headphones - Beyer 250-80, AKG k81dj, kscKoss 75's, iPod earbuds...in fact, as I wrote in another thread, sometimes my laptops headphone-out sounds better than the amp (and, to be fair, better than my iPod). So I'm a little dissapointed.

The thing I'd really like to see more of in hifi headphones is presence. Energy. Kick in the music. Only my k81dj's really do this decently, although they lack a bit of smoothness. I've tried the Grado 125, but ironically, I found them lacking a bit of detail in the vocals I listen to.

So I'm thinking that maybe a better amp would help bring my headphones to life more? Or at least provide sufficient power for whatever the next pair of headphones I end up trying is. Does anyone have any suggestions for a semi-portable amp? I'd like to stay under $400-ish. I've been trying to read about the SR-71, the Hornet, the Supermacro, Supermini...

Jun 21, 2006 at 4:45 PM Post #2 of 13
The AD8397 is an op-amp that delivers what you want, it's available in a variety of amps. Like Xin's SuperMicro, Mini, and Macro. Lots of punch to it, good choice for added attack.

Jun 22, 2006 at 1:13 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr
The AD8397 is an op-amp that delivers what you want, it's available in a variety of amps. Like Xin's SuperMicro, Mini, and Macro. Lots of punch to it, good choice for added attack.

I believe that is what the Bithead uses.

Jun 22, 2006 at 1:30 PM Post #4 of 13
I think the HeadAmp AE-1 would be an excellent choice. It's got a lot of authority AND space and mates up extremely well with my K81DJ and HHF-1.

Jun 22, 2006 at 8:26 PM Post #5 of 13
A Xin Supermacro would fit nicely. That's what I like about mine. A nice fun lively listen.

Jun 23, 2006 at 12:16 AM Post #6 of 13
Under $400 there are various amps that are very good. For example: AE-1, Supermacro, SR-71, and The Hornet. Any of which would fit the bill. The best would be for you to be able to listen to each prior to making a decision.

Personally I would go with a Supermacro.

Jun 23, 2006 at 12:25 AM Post #7 of 13
Well, this is my personal opinion of course, but I find the iPod itself is simply not well suited for this sort of sonic preference. What you may want to try, before you ditch the bithead, is looking at other sources. I find the iRivers do a pretty good job to me, at least, as far as DAPs go.

Barring that, try a Supermacro or some other amp that you can op-amp roll in. You may want to try the OPA2107, AD8397, LM6172, and AD8620 and see which one works for you.

Jun 23, 2006 at 12:44 AM Post #8 of 13
I agree completely with Filburt. I'm not an iPod lineout hater - actually I like it quite a bit. But it's not punchy, dynamic or the kind of sound you're looking for.

I know I'm going to get crap for saying this, but I'd look into the Hornet. I like it for that application. I haven't figured it out yet. Sometimes it sounds just wrong to me. But sometimes it sounds pretty darned good. SR-71 isn't as lively as Hornet, IMHO, at least when they're both sounding good.

I'd also look into a Supermacro with the appropriate opamps. I never thought the AE-1 was really that punchy or energetic. It always sounded more middle of the road to me, which is why I used mine with the SA5k, where I don't want a punchy amp.

Best,

-Jason

Jun 23, 2006 at 2:04 AM Post #9 of 13
If you want kick and lively...a well burned in Hornet is the way to go. Flame away if you want, not sure why anyone would. The Hornet is an absolutely amazing amp. I nearly sold mine prior to it being fully burned in. In the end, I really grew to like its punchy, fun, lively sound and ended up selling my SR-71 instead.

Jun 23, 2006 at 2:27 AM Post #10 of 13
I might have to say hornet if only kick and energy is what you want, FS forums usually have them <300 used. Or, alternatively, for a more hi-fi and more "transportable" rather than "portable" version, you could get the PPA with battery board. The PPAS is very portable, but I haven't spent enough time with it to say if it would meet your needs, although I imagine it would

Jun 23, 2006 at 3:30 AM Post #11 of 13
Well even though AD8397 is FOTM lately, I do really suggest getting an amp that can take op-amp rolling and try some of my other suggestions. Given the headphones you've listed, I think it's worth your while.

Man, line drivers sure are popular lately for portable audio. Both the 8397 (45048) and the 6172 are ADSL line drivers ;D. Makes sense, though, fast and high output. I'd give the nod to the LM6172 sonically, though.

Jun 26, 2006 at 3:13 PM Post #12 of 13
Thanks for all your replies, I'll be looking into them. The only thing I really miss is that I really wish I could actually try out these amps before buying them, but it's notoriously hard to even find the headphones we discuss, much less the amps, plus I'm in Minnesota...

Thanks!

Jun 27, 2006 at 2:42 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulRivers
I have to TotalBithead right now, but I'm not sure I notice a real improvement with any of my headphones - Beyer 250-80, AKG k81dj, kscKoss 75's, iPod earbuds...in fact, as I wrote in another thread, sometimes my laptops headphone-out sounds better than the amp (and, to be fair, better than my iPod). So I'm a little dissapointed.

The thing I'd really like to see more of in hifi headphones is presence. Energy. Kick in the music. Only my k81dj's really do this decently, although they lack a bit of smoothness. I've tried the Grado 125, but ironically, I found them lacking a bit of detail in the vocals I listen to.

So I'm thinking that maybe a better amp would help bring my headphones to life more? Or at least provide sufficient power for whatever the next pair of headphones I end up trying is. Does anyone have any suggestions for a semi-portable amp? I'd like to stay under $400-ish. I've been trying to read about the SR-71, the Hornet, the Supermacro, Supermini...

Are you using it more with your I-Pod or with your Laptop?
It makes no sense that your laptop onboard card would sound better than the Bithead when used on your computer, unless you have some super soundcard I've never heard of, or you have some kind of software or ground loup interference with the signal out to the Bithead.

I assume you have a 2006 TotalBithead? If so, have you tried adjusting the gain switch in the battery compartment?

If it's a new Bithead, I'd call Headroom and discuss with them; if settings can't fix it you may have a defective unit which you should return for replacement. There is just no way you shouldn't be getting a dramatic improvement in sound quality over your onboard sound. I'm not that familiar with your headphones; I could see where low end phones would sound worse (e.g., I-buds), but your better phones ought to sound a lot better. Have you tried it on another computer?

For listening to the I-Pod, you are only getting half the Bithead's functionality--the amp function. Therefore, you need a clean line-out (e.g., pocket dock or other line out solution). You may already have that--I don't know. If not, that is probably your problem there. Also, be sure to power the Bithead with Alkalines rather than rechargeables when using with an I-pod or other portable.

If you are using your laptop as source, I'd be hesitant to put alot of money into a new amp until you get a stand alone DAC; of the 2 (Dac vs. Amp), the DAC makes the most significant impact on sound quality IMO.

If you don't have a defective Bithead, and your sound still isn't up to snuff, I'd probably buy a standalone DAC like the MicroDac and use it with the line in on your Bithead until you can save up enough to add a better amp (such as those mentioned in this thread). The MicroDac is not tiny, but it is transportable, particularly if paired with a small headphone amp like your bithead or a Xin. If that doesn't fix it, then you need better headphones for your personal, subjective preferences.

Something just isn't right here; good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back