Semi-open vs. open... much difference?
Apr 9, 2010 at 5:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

shane55

Headphoneus Supremus
Currently, I am deciding between the Beyer DT880 and the AKG-K702.

The Beyer is a 'semi-open' design. Does that provide for any more outside noise isolation than the K702's open design?

I listen to a lot of Classical, with very quiet passages. My PC is not exactly silent, but it's not a jet engine either. I know that a closed design would be the best for sealing out noise, but after scanning a lot of threads here I narrowed my choices to these two based on others experiences with Classical, Jazz, Acoustic, etc.

If 'semi-open' provides no more noise isolation than 'open', I may have to rethink this. I'll either have to silence the computer, or look at closed back cans.

shane

Apr 9, 2010 at 5:17 PM Post #2 of 17
I haven't found machine noise to interfere with listening when using full open headphones. The ambient noise would have to be quite loud to do that. I wouldn't worry about PC noise for that reason when choosing your cans. I do have a pair of closed cans to protect my wife from my music while I'm listening.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 9, 2010 at 5:32 PM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by shane55 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Currently, I am deciding between the Beyer DT880 and the AKG-K702.

The Beyer is a 'semi-open' design. Does that provide for any more outside noise isolation than the K702's open design?

I listen to a lot of Classical, with very quiet passages. My PC is not exactly silent, but it's not a jet engine either. I know that a closed design would be the best for sealing out noise, but after scanning a lot of threads here I narrowed my choices to these two based on others experiences with Classical, Jazz, Acoustic, etc.

If 'semi-open' provides no more noise isolation than 'open', I may have to rethink this. I'll either have to silence the computer, or look at closed back cans.

shane

For open headphones I think its more about sound leakage then sound coming in.

Apr 9, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #4 of 17
My experience with the DT880 is that they only provide nominally more if any more isolation than the K701. The graphs provided by headroom support this.

graphCompare.php

Just because it looks pretty.
graphCompare.php

Apr 9, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #5 of 17
Listening to sound you create active noise cancellation headphones so to speak. It only works when you are playing sound though. A lot of music is the blackness between notes I would say. My computer is not totally silent. The noise is the same so my brain have managed to block it out but it´s always there on some subconscious level. You feel it when turning it off. Open headphones can work okay but to make them justice I don´t use them on my PC.

Most semi open headphones I have tried are fully open. Even many "closed" headphones hardly isolate either.

Apr 9, 2010 at 6:47 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Listening to sound you create active noise cancellation headphones so to speak. It only works when you are playing sound though. A lot of music is the blackness between notes I would say. My computer is not totally silent. The noise is the same so my brain have managed to block it out but it´s always there on some subconscious level. You feel it when turning it off. Open headphones can work okay but to make them justice I don´t use them on my PC.

Most semi open headphones I have tried are fully open. Even many "closed" headphones hardly isolate either.

One sign that you are affected by ambient sound is how much better the music sounds either very late in the night or very early in the morning before the rush starts. There's the City hum that's there but you're sort of oblivious to, until it's gone and you're now sensitive to all sorts of sounds while wondering why.

Apr 9, 2010 at 6:55 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My experience with the DT880 is that they only provide nominally more if any more isolation than the K701. The graphs provided by headroom support this.

Oh. That's a bit of a shame. I was hoping for a bit more isolation from the Beyer's. Oh well, at least now I won't be expecting much in that regard.

Quote:

Originally Posted by happyxix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For open headphones I think its more about sound leakage then sound coming in.

As for leakage, no issue. I'm in the home office, wife is in the living room watching TV. She's not going to hear anything I do (short of singing along...).
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't found machine noise to interfere with listening when using full open headphones. The ambient noise would have to be quite loud to do that. I wouldn't worry about PC noise for that reason when choosing your cans. I do have a pair of closed cans to protect my wife from my music while I'm listening.
smily_headphones1.gif

Well... the fans and multiple hard drives create a bit of a racket. I have (old) AKG-K260's and the sound comes through very well... especially when the music is quiet. They are VERY transparent to all external sound.

So then this all this all begs the question... Why 'semi-open'?

Thanks

shane

Apr 9, 2010 at 6:57 PM Post #8 of 17
Open phones sound different from closed. Semi-open tries to capture the benefits of both formats into a hybrid sonic signature. With open headphones, the aim is for a sonic signature and ambience, of which, sound leakage in and out is a side effect.

Apr 9, 2010 at 7:01 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

One sign that you are affected by ambient sound is how much better the music sounds either very late in the night or very early in the morning before the rush starts. There's the City hum that's there but you're sort of oblivious to, until it's gone and you're now sensitive to all sorts of sounds while wondering why.

When I'm out-and-about or working out I have my Westones or Shure IE's. I'm not looking for that level of isolation.
icon10.gif

shane

Apr 9, 2010 at 7:07 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Open phones sound different from closed. Semi-open tries to capture the benefits of both formats into a hybrid sonic signature. With open headphones, the aim is for a sonic signature and ambience, of which, sound leakage in and out is a side effect.

Right. Makes sense to me. Open seem to get the highest praise for their sonic 'purity' or accuracy (from what I've read so far). I had assumed that the main reason for 'closed' was noise isolation.

If that is the case (and it just might not be...), it would logically follow that 'semi-open' would utilize some of that isolation characteristic. But the graph does not seem to validate that thought.

Do 'closed' have a particular sonic signiture that is desired? If not, other than sound isolation, what is their advantage?

(sorry for the stupid noob questions!)

shane

Apr 9, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Do 'closed' have a particular sonic signiture that is desired? If not, other than sound isolation, what is their advantage?

(sorry for the stupid noob questions!)

shane

The questions are fine. I had the same ones too and picked up the answers here and elsewhere. You should check out HeadRoom, not only for products but it's loaded with information that you seem to be interested in.
smily_headphones1.gif

In my experience and those of others, closed headphones tend to offer a deeper bass response since none of the bass leaks. The best bass I've heard has always been from a closed headphone. If you're a basshead, then a closed option is definitely to be considered. As you say though, the isolation is a very important aspect of a closed option to consider and many professionals will use a closed option for that reason.

Apr 9, 2010 at 8:47 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

When I'm out-and-about or working out I have my Westones or Shure IE's. I'm not looking for that level of isolation.
icon10.gif

shane

I believe you don't understand what he is trying to imply. If I understand correctly he is not talking about the obvious and direct street noise (car horn, people chatting, building construction, subway etc...). He's talking about the sound which you don't hear but it's always there in daylight. It's hard to describe but let's put it this way: In daylight, you stay at home, ambience is quite, no noise at all. But you don't hear the tik-tak sound of clock or you do but not so detail. At night even if you don't pay attention, the tik-tak always get in to your ears.

Another example is that when you play guitar or piano at mid night they sound noticeably better. Much more transparent, crystal clear, higher resolution, better attack and decay etc...

That also apply for music listening
biggrin.gif

Apr 9, 2010 at 8:54 PM Post #13 of 17
Indeed great graphs.

Firstly from previous browsing I believe the dt880 is a open design, while dt990's are semi open. I believe that's one of the reasons why their isolation response are so similar.

Open headphones gives you a better soundstage on most, thus I'd think it would be perfect for acoustic, classical (strings).

Apr 9, 2010 at 8:55 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by flaming_june /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Firstly from previous browsing I believe the dt880 is a open design, while dt990's are semi open. I believe that's one of the reasons why their isolation response are so similar.

Other way around

Apr 9, 2010 at 8:57 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by SillyHoney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe you don't understand what he is trying to imply. If I understand correctly he is not talking about the obvious and direct street noise (car horn, people chatting, building construction, subway etc...).

I understand what you are saying... and I don't disagree.

I was responding to the term 'City hum' that he used. Seemed kind of obvious to me.

My PC isn't LOUD, it's just audible enough to intrude into the music when the sections are quiet. I don't need a lot of isolation, just enough so that the machine that's producing the music doesn't interfere with it.
atsmile.gif

shane

Users who are viewing this thread

Back