semi open air headphones ?
Jun 18, 2002 at 1:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

ismala

New Head-Fier
A pair of semi open air headphones like akg 141 or akg 240 are more near to an open or to a closed headphone?

Anyone knows if akg 141 or 240 provides me a good isolation?

thanks

Jun 18, 2002 at 6:39 AM Post #2 of 3
really odd term, semi-open. some people seem to think open heapdhones are supposed to be supraaural (on the ear), so open headphones that go over the ear (circumaural) are semi-open.

look at it like this: if something is even the tiniest bit open, it is open. it's only closed when it's totally closed.

I think those two cans might give you better isolation than say, Grados. but if you want isolation headphoens, I'd look somewhere else.

Jun 18, 2002 at 5:50 PM Post #3 of 3
ismala: Semi-open is indeed a difficult term, because in fact most open headphones are semi-open designs. The damping (that causes the semi
wink.gif
) can vary from very little (Grado...) to noticable (K240M/MF/S...) - nevertheless, I'd assume the isolation of the K240 to be just around 3 to 6 dB. That won't be enough to block out a noisy environment - and not enough for not bothering the folks around you, either. Maybe you should look into the Beyerdynamic DT250/250 instead... Or an AudioTechnica, maybe... The Pioneer acidtripwow dug out looks promising, too...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Users who are viewing this thread

Back