Semi-noob needing some advice for moving into speaker territory (perhaps the Audioengine A2+s)
Jul 28, 2014 at 12:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

jsilbert95

Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I've been happy with my HD600s and Audio-GD NFB 12.1, but I've decided to try some speakers/monitors for my desk in my dorm room (relatively small double around 203 sq ft)

At first I was pointed towards the Rokit KRK 5s but now I see that those are too big for my purposes.  The next thing that I came upon was the Audioengine A2+s, which I'm pretty sure are what I am going to get, because they seem to be perfect size and price range for me, and I figured I could bypass the internal DAC and just use the one on my NFB 12.1.

Now the question is I was wondering about a possible subwoofer, because I've heard the bass can really lack in the A2+s.  Now, I'm not a bass head, but it is nice to at least have it come through (e.g. want to be able to hear that bass on James Blake's "Limit to Your Love" well)  So I would definitely want something as small as possible because I've got to make it feasible to have and to transport to a small dorm room.  The only things I could find that people said matched the A2+s well were the Acoustic Audio PSW-8 Down Firing Powered Subwoofer and the Polk Audio PSW10 10-Inch Powered Subwoofer.  I don't know if there are any other options for around this price range or anything smaller in size.

But if I were to get one of those how would I set that all up? What cables would I need to connect from my NFB 12.1 to the A2+s, and what cable would I need to go from the speakers to the subwoofer?  Any tips on finding the right balance between speakers and sub? Also am I going to be supremely disappointed with this set up if I'm used to listening to my HD600s?  Aaaand does the subwoofer even make sense?  How lacking is the bass really on the A2+s?

Any advice would be very helpful.

Cheers.

Jul 28, 2014 at 1:23 AM Post #2 of 19
Check out the Monoprice 5" studio monitors
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=115&cp_id=11504&cs_id=1150401&p_id=605500&seq=1&format=2

I say skip on the sub-woofer, at least for now.

Jul 28, 2014 at 1:27 AM Post #3 of 19
  Check out the Monoprice 5" studio monitors
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=115&cp_id=11504&cs_id=1150401&p_id=605500&seq=1&format=2

I say skip on the sub-woofer, at least for now.

I was checking those out before, but I think anything of that size is too big for my purposes right now.

And part of me is just thinking of making it easy on myself and skipping the sub unless I felt like I needed it later.

I was just wondering if anyone had a particular experience with the A2+s and a sub?

Jul 28, 2014 at 10:19 PM Post #6 of 19
i didn't have the A2+ and a subwoofer, but i had the A2 and a subwoofer tho. What do u want to know in particular? i may be able to help

Any of these questions...

The only things I could find that people said matched the A2+s well were the Acoustic Audio PSW-8 Down Firing Powered Subwoofer and the Polk Audio PSW10 10-Inch Powered Subwoofer.  I don't know if there are any other options for around this price range or anything smaller in size.

But if I were to get one of those how would I set that all up? What cables would I need to connect from my NFB 12.1 to the A2+s, and what cable would I need to go from the speakers to the subwoofer?  Any tips on finding the right balance between speakers and sub? Also am I going to be supremely disappointed with this set up if I'm used to listening to my HD600s?  Aaaand does the subwoofer even make sense?  How lacking is the bass really on the A2+s?

Jul 28, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #7 of 19
Any of these questions...

I Chose a subwoofer that had a Line in and Line out. I didn't like the idea that I had to split the signal if i were to get a sub that only had a line in, because from past experience, the volume is lower and i didn't like that.  I don't know about the A2+ but the A2s, the RCA in can be used as a RCA out so you can output to subwoofers. And yes, you will want a subwoofer. 

Jul 28, 2014 at 10:44 PM Post #8 of 19
I Chose a subwoofer that had a Line in and Line out. I didn't like the idea that I had to split the signal if i were to get a sub that only had a line in, because from past experience, the volume is lower and i didn't like that.  I don't know about the A2+ but the A2s, the RCA in can be used as a RCA out so you can output to subwoofers. And yes, you will want a subwoofer. 

Great. Thanks for the help!

Jul 29, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #9 of 19
I was checking those out before, but I think anything of that size is too big for my purposes right now.

You will get better SQ from larger driver speakers. Speakers like the A2 have poor lower midbass response and the dynamics will not be very good once you turn them up. It's a limitation of small drivers. Can't get around physics :)

The A2 speaker series also has an upper midbass hump EQin (you can't change it) to help give the illusion of good bass presence. Thus, if you integrate a sub properly with the low frequency roll off of the A2s, you'll have a bassier than neutral sound. Then, the subs you are looking at are not very good SQ. They are better than many computer multimedia subs that come with computer speaker sets (not saying much), but they are bottom of the barrel entry level when it comes to subs. Think about it. A sub is a big speaker, in a big enclosure (somewhat expensive to make and ship), with its own amp. Exactly what kind of quality do you think you will get with a $100 sub?

What you are looking at here with your planned setup is maybe the sound quality equivalent of a $50 set of headphones. I would think an HD600 NFB-12 owner might be disappointed, and I would think you would want to shoot for much better SQ.

So if SQ is important to you, see if you can figure out a way to use bigger speakers and forgo the sub for now. Those Monoprice studio monitors would be a better choice. Even better with your budget, the JBL LSR 305s. Emotiva Airmotiv 4S are another good studio monitor in your budget range. Or, get a Topping or Indeed t-amp (if you need a small amp) and go for a set of passive speakers like the EMP Tek E5Bi or Wave Crest HLV-1. Then add a sub with later on down the road if you feel you need it.

Jul 29, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #10 of 19
You will get better SQ from larger driver speakers. Speakers like the A2 have poor lower midbass response and the dynamics will not be very good once you turn them up. It's a limitation of small drivers. Can't get around physics
smily_headphones1.gif

The A2 speaker series also has an upper midbass hump EQin (you can't change it) to help give the illusion of good bass presence. Thus, if you integrate a sub properly with the low frequency roll off of the A2s, you'll have a bassier than neutral sound. Then, the subs you are looking at are not very good SQ. They are better than many computer multimedia subs that come with computer speaker sets (not saying much), but they are bottom of the barrel entry level when it comes to subs. Think about it. A sub is a big speaker, in a big enclosure (somewhat expensive to make and ship), with its own amp. Exactly what kind of quality do you think you will get with a $100 sub?

What you are looking at here with your planned setup is maybe the sound quality equivalent of a $50 set of headphones. I would think an HD600 NFB-12 owner might be disappointed, and I would think you would want to shoot for much better SQ.

So if SQ is important to you, see if you can figure out a way to use bigger speakers and forgo the sub for now. Those Monoprice studio monitors would be a better choice. Even better with your budget, the JBL LSR 305s. Emotiva Airmotiv 4S are another good studio monitor in your budget range. Or, get a Topping or Indeed t-amp (if you need a small amp) and go for a set of passive speakers like the EMP Tek E5Bi or Wave Crest HLV-1. Then add a sub with later on down the road if you feel you need it.

Thanks for your response.  Very helpful.

So SQ is important to me, but unfortunately I can't compromise on size (*sigh* college dorms...).  At the very very least, I was hoping for a way to listen to my music out loud that sounds better than my old ****ty bose stereo thing.  If anything I buy can give me a stereo sound that sounds better than what I have, then I'm happy.  Additionally I had assumed that the A2s were the best speaker of that size.  If I'm wrong, I'd gladly buy something else.  So even though it might be disappointing based on my HD600 NFB-12 combo it might be much better than what I'm used to for music out loud, so that would really be okay.  In terms of the sub woofers.  I initially thought I couldn't get a decent one for that price, but I saw this article and was hoping someone could confirm... http://audiogramii.wordpress.com/2014/04/24/adding-a-subwoofer-to-the-audioengine-a2-speakers/

P.S.  still a noob with most things, so all those cable and connection questions still apply 
rolleyes.gif

Jul 29, 2014 at 12:12 PM Post #11 of 19
Yes. The A2 are pretty good speakers for that size for the price. The size is the issue. I had bigger speakers in a small college dorm room :)

However, to keep it small, I'd recommend the Pioneer BS22s for their lower frequency response and bigger driver. I think that their foot print is a bit smaller than the A2s (check the dimensions). Just taller. Here is a review: http://www.stereophile.com/content/pioneer-sp-bs22-lr-loudspeaker. They are often on sale, so if you can wait a few weeks, you might find a good deal by joining this appreciation thread over at AVS and seeing if anyone posts any specials.

Then, to keep things small, a Topping TP20 or Indeed TA2021 amp to power them. Check their dimensions, and you'll see they are smaller than you might think. I have two of the Indeeds. Excellent sounding amps for the price. This idea of the passive speaker and t-amp is an improved version (better speakers; better amp) of what you'll read about in this CNET article: http://www.cnet.com/news/build-your-own-desktop-stereo-for-under-70/. Note that he likes that cheaper setup better than the A2s.

As far as subs, I wouldn't buy Acoustic Audio products. I have heard of reliability issues with them (I hang out in a home audio subwoofer enthusiasts' forum, too). But definitely. The Audioengine subwoofer is probably over priced for what you get. Go here to ask for help on the best subwoofer to suit your needs once you get your speakers, if you are still certain you want one.

Jul 29, 2014 at 12:29 PM Post #12 of 19
One more thing. These EMP Teks and Wave Credt Audio HLV-1s would be a step up from the Pioneer speakers, still taller, but with a footprint that is also smaller than the A2s. I would go for one of these two and forgo the sub for now. See the sub as a future upgrade you might make a year or two down the road, and you might decide you don't even need the sub. These companies are Internet direct speaker vendors (think Audio-GD, but US companies) that give much better price/performance values than speakers you could buy at a traditional brick and mortar store.

Jul 29, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #13 of 19
Hmm... Okay that all sounds very promising, and I'll definitely look further into it.  The only problem is those are all actually around the same dimensions as the speakers I initially said were too big...  Hence why the A2+s were the best for me for the size they are.  So I'm thinking there are two things I'm gonna do.  First, I have a friend who has some seriously hifi speakers which he keeps in his dorm room and both he and I have deemed them way too big (for transportation/ease of use/desk space, etc. purposes).  So I'll get the dimensions from him of those speakers to judge if I really do think something that is around 7x8x11 is really too big or not, and then if so, I think audioengine offers a 30 day trial if you buy right form their site and I think amazon is actually selling at the MSRP, so it wouldn't do me any harm to try them out, seeing as I don't really have the chance to go audition speakers.  I also like the idea of using my NFB 12 as a multi purpose piece of hardware that I can easily switch between headphone and speaker use (also saves space on my desk).  Do you think that's a good idea?  Or do you really think the Audioengines are not a worthwhile purchase?

(Also thanks again for all of your quick and thorough responses... very helpful)

Jul 29, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #14 of 19
Sorry. I must have been looking at the A5+ dimensions. But definitely check and see if you can fit them. It is worth going bigger. Read that CNET review. The EMP Teks or Wave Crest with the better t-amp would be a big upgrade over what is described with the Daytons and the Lepai. You would not regret it at all. Also, realize, for most people, dorm life is only for a year or so. Then you share an apartment and have more room. Flexibility of upgrades. The passive speakers would be the start of a surround system if you wanted (and had the room) to get an AVR and more speakers. A2s are no good for that.

So if you can make room for the better speakers, you definitely will not regret it. Speakers are like headphones, and the A2s are nowhere near mid-fi level. I meant it when I said that the A2s with cheap sub will be like a $50 set of headphones in SQ.

And sure. Use the NFB-12. Definitely. Funny thing is, I have an NFB-11 coming today by DHL :) I have an Indeed t-amp I have been using that I will connect to the pre-amp output on the NFB-11 to run my speakers. I have previously used the t-amp with a pre-amp. What I do is turn up the t-amp about 3/4 of the way, and then use the pre-amp volume after that with the flexible volume output on the NFB-12. Or you could use the NFB-12 fixed pre-amp output and use the t-am volume control. Whichever suits your needs better.

Jul 29, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #15 of 19
Hmm... Okay when you put it that way, it makes less sense to make a $250 purchase which I will only utilize in a small dorm room. So the original speakers I was thinking of we're the "ever-popular" rokit 5s or at least something similar. I found out from my friend that the rokits are actually half the volume (as in space) of his. Which means maybe something bigger than the A2s still makes sense. Also I think something like the rokits (aka monitors) make some sense for me down the road because I do produce a little, and the headphones always worked fine, but I wouldn't mind having a nice small reference monitor as well. I also like the idea of less equipment for now (I.e. Active monitors rather than passive + amp). So I'll have to reassess everything a bit. Thanks for your help. It's very much appreciated, and I'll let you know what I end up with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back