Semi-Noob Desktop setup Q's
Mar 10, 2010 at 3:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ZepherX

New Head-Fier
I currently have Ultrasone pro 900's.
I'll be buying a DAC and an amp. Maybe a combo like the icon HDP or Compass. Not sure.
I'll also be buying some monitors and a sub. M-Audio sbx10 sub and bx5a deluxe monitors.

I really like the style of Nuforce's speakers, but they're overpriced for what they do(in my unknowing opinion). So i decided to go with m-audio and have a bit to spend on them.
For an amp, i will be getting a headphone amp and speaker amp. I was wondering if Nuforce's amps/DACs were of good quality/price. The Icon HDP is very new and as far as i've seen has only had two people from head-fi use it. Its a DAC/Amp/preamp. So i've been leaning towards getting the Icon HDP and the Icon Amp. But i would like to know if i'd be wasting my money or if i should be investing into a different product.

Earlier, i was going to buy the audio-gd compass. But i decided the Icon HDP was more expensive and newer and had a more tech-look to it which may mean quality. So i'm quite open to suggestion as you can see.
However, the amp MUST be SS. I really don't even want to try a tube amp. Not my thing.

TIA!

Mar 10, 2010 at 5:24 AM Post #2 of 4
the M Audio stuff seems to be good for the price. But I would also check out Yamaha's offerings as well (HS50M). I've had the HS80M's for two years and they've been solid so far, won't be replacing them until they stop.

A sub will give you good bass, but so will a larger studio monitor such as 8 inch woofer versions, and it might even save you cash rather than the 5" and sub. I feel a "10 sub will usually give an un-necessary amount of bass unless set at a lower level gain, it depends on the room. The only cons about larger studio monitors is that they usually cut off at about 36hz-42hz, whereas a sub will go lower and also it gives less strain onto the monitors.

Mar 11, 2010 at 12:38 AM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by TrumpOrMonkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the M Audio stuff seems to be good for the price. But I would also check out Yamaha's offerings as well (HS50M). I've had the HS80M's for two years and they've been solid so far, won't be replacing them until they stop.

A sub will give you good bass, but so will a larger studio monitor such as 8 inch woofer versions, and it might even save you cash rather than the 5" and sub. I feel a "10 sub will usually give an un-necessary amount of bass unless set at a lower level gain, it depends on the room. The only cons about larger studio monitors is that they usually cut off at about 36hz-42hz, whereas a sub will go lower and also it gives less strain onto the monitors.

The 8" woofer versions seem to have quite a few bugs and die quite quickly. Otherwise i would.

I enjoy subs anyway. Im into a lot of house/dance/electonica/dubstep stuff.
(and of course other genres, but this is why i decided to get a sub)

Can anyone give me input on the amp/DAC info?

Mar 11, 2010 at 7:34 AM Post #4 of 4
The Nuforce uDac and HDP are the current darlings on the forums and generally considered excellent value. Their desktop speaker line is also well reviewed.

Since you're going with monitors, you may want a dac with balanced outputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back